1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Is this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Feb 29, 2016.

1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Cheers mate. I'm mainly interested in BT Sport.
    I'm not very savvy with this stuff, but I do have an android phone and 21 and 16 year old Sons, so hopefully they'll be able to suss it out.
    It says that it's fully pre-loaded. What would it be pre-loaded with then?

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

No problem - took me a while to get to grips with it.

Normally comes preloaded witb Kodi (used to be called XBMC, but they changed the name after some pressure from Microsoft XB stands for X Box)

Opening the Kodi app gives you access to to the Videos option - in the add-ons that are pre-loaded there should be a sports add-on, navigate to this and go through the sub-menus - BT Sports 1, 1HD, 2 and 2HD are there to watch, as well as the Sky channel, all the BEIN channels and plenty of others!

As mentioned, just search Sports on Kodi in youtube, and there's loads of tutorials of what to install and how to install them - fairly idiot proof too

kiwiqpr likes this.
  3. rangercol

QUOTE="Steelmonkey, post: 8981355, member: 1007390"]No problem - took me a while to get to grips with it.

Normally comes preloaded witb Kodi (used to be called XBMC, but they changed the name after some pressure from Microsoft XB stands for X Box)

Opening the Kodi app gives you access to to the Videos option - in the add-ons that are pre-loaded there should be a sports add-on, navigate to this and go through the sub-menus - BT Sports 1, 1HD, 2 and 2HD are there to watch, as well as the Sky channel, all the BEIN channels and plenty of others!

As mentioned, just search Sports on Kodi in youtube, and there's loads of tutorials of what to install and how to install them - fairly idiot proof too[/QUOTE]

Fantastic. Thanks mate.
    Sounds like BT Sports is there already then.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

4. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

this thread should be stickied so when I finally get around to buying a box I will know what to do

am I likely to get bt sports etc from nz

TimPR78 likes this.
  5. TimPR78

TimPR78 Well-Known Member

Yeah ordered one, what's the worst that could happen :/

rangercol and sb_73 like this.
  6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Probably, but if you don't (you'll click on a link and it won't work or come up with an error notice) you can install a VPN and fool the net into thinking you are in a place which does get it. I think there are some US sports streams that you need to be in the US to watch, or at least appear to be in the US. I use a VPN on my iPad to watch BBC iPlayer when travelling. You should get that, and all the UK TV channels through the box as well.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  7. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Being not that tech savy, what's a VPN and where do I get one as I'm blocked from watching BBC IPlayer?

8. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

A VPN is a Virtual Private Network - it can mask your IP address and show you in a different location - I use the free one below to access torrent websites that host files for download (music, films, tv etc) that have been blocked by my ISP (Virgin) - I'm sure there are plenty of others, but I've not had a problem so far.

https://www.hidemyass.com/proxy

Choose the free VPN option, then in the address window, enter the iPlayer website - this should work (I've not tried it, as I'm in UK so iPlayer isn't blocked) - let me know how you get on :emoticon-0148-yes:

kiwiqpr, Tramore Ranger and TimPR78 like this.
  9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Box here and am in mid set up Col. Not quite as straightforward as led to expect, but I have all the sports channels, including BT. A few more downloads to go before fully functional, a long evening ahead. If you have a Sony TV there is a slight, easily fixable, glitch.

10. rangercol

I'll let you know when mine arrives and how I get on. I'll be following Steel's advice from earlier in the thread. As long as I can get BT Sport I'll be happy tbh.

What was less straightforward than you were expecting?

11. rangercol

Box has arrived but I won't have a chance to set it up till tomorrow morning.
    Just a thought - I presume it is wireless? In other words it will connect to the WIFI wirelessly? Or does it need to be connected via a cable? Anyone know?

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It's wireless or wired Col. When you turn it on go into settings to put your wifi password in.

13. rangercol

Cheers.
    Any tips for setting the thing up?

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Well, I may not be the best person to ask at the moment, got most of what I wanted going, then decided to start again and haven't had time to restart.....there are loads of good articles on the net, giving you step by step advice on downloading the Addons you need. Sportsdevil will give you all the sports, I was struggling to get Exodus for movies to work properly yesterday. Some things you need to register for (no payment). I recommend a new or redundant Google mail address for that.

15. rangercol

On Amazon it is described as"pre-loaded".
    What is already on the box, , ready to use as it were?

By the way, Steel recommended "Genesis" for films.

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It's preloaded in the sense that it's got a few apps from Google and the Kodi streaming system on it. You have to populate the Kodi bit, which gives you all the video streams. I got all the telly straight off. I'll give Genesis a go later. I hope it snows so I don't have to walk the dog.....

17. rangercol

Ah, ok.
    I may get a chance to set it up later tonight with the lad. He'll know infinitely more than me about it all!

18. TWGWTDT

TWGWTDT Well-Known Member

Nope there's no catch
    I have a Dual G5 Power Mac with 32gb of Ram from my yester years
    ( Still faster than my current Mac)
    They stopped software for the G5 years ago so it was a dead duck
    I installed Linux Ubuntu on it and then the old XBMC now called Kodi

Not difficult at all if you can use terminal to program

Ubuntu is the quickest platform out there and the safest IMO and will be exempt when they catch on what people are doing on macs and PC operating systems ... It will come IMO

So yes KODI gives you just about anything

So I reckon if you have an old Mac you think is dead think again

Stick on Ubuntu , I can still boot into the old Mac but little point as my other macs see any file anyway

So from an old machine
    I have Mac OS
    Ubuntu running KODI and everything on the planet
    And of course the Dark Web

I take it you lot are hooking it up to a TV then look out for a series one Apple TV jailbreak those you get the same idea

it takes a long time for corporations to solve issues on old platforms or OS that they don't consider to be anything. It's worth trying
    Clue : booking a flight with Ryanair ?
    Then on a certain OS within a certain browser book you flights but before you check out hit the back button
    You will just have to pay the airport taxes as the flight calculation removes the flight cost.

You ain't seen me right?

CroydonCaptainJack and sb_73 like this.
  19. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Just seen this thread and coincidentally ordered one of these boxes earlier from Amazon. Some very useful tips on here thanks.
    What's the legal situation with these or daren't I ask!

20. TWGWTDT

TWGWTDT Well-Known Member

Meant to say
    You make a bootable cd for Ubuntu
    Hold down the C key when you power up
    The latest versions of Ubuntu exceed 800 meg and Version 15 is over a gb
    Way round is to install version 12 then upgrade to 14 Beware of graphics card problems so back up if you have valuable docs

Once you have this OS running then you should be able to get KODI running and as said there is a wealth of resource to get this media player working, once you install one add on in KODI the rest will follow

Still nothing good to watch IMO
    You won't get that time back when the final bill is presented by our Lord

You can have as much tech as you want but remember it's ****e without electric and you will get fat

Get yourself a fishing kayak
    Media is eating away our brains and putting on the internet here in France has been a downer IMO . It's bloody quick x10 times quicker than in London ... Why? No bugger is on it in my hamlet so it's a clear 22Mbps down and 5.0Mbps Up and 0 throttle

What is happening?
    My point is is it worth it?
    What as humans are we missing out on. And no we are not in control

My eldest carries around TBs of movies with him and thinks he is Tron ... It's empty

But I need it to work as we all do in some way

Dark days