1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is there a risk of us falling into mid table obscurity?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You won’t fall into mid-table, BG. As much as I’d love it, you’re too big of a club for that to realistically happen.

Like us, you need a bit of a revamp but you’ve still got some top players that wouldn’t allow you boys to drop so badly.

Wolves are potentially the biggest threat to the top six in my eyes, they’ve got the foundations in place to do well both financially and with coaching & playing personnel, plus with Mendes working for/ with them it gives a huge advantage when looking for certain talent, no way would they have signed Neves in the Championship without him. That said, I still think the top six will be ‘safe’ at least for another season.

2. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

Think you're getting a bit excited,a month ago 3rd place was within your grasp then you lost 4 from 5 games which was the same as you had lost all season till then,players and manager at fault there.

3. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Do you not think Liverpool thought the same thing too though, DH? They're a huge club and in the past 9 years, they have finished 7th twice, 8th twice and 6th twice. It was only until they had a change of ownership that they have been on an upward trajectory.

Even the commercial powerhouse that is Manchester United, one of the richest clubs and brands in the world, have suffered a similar fate under Moyes and Mourinho. Ok, they didn't finish 8th or 9th, but they weren't wildly far off those positions.

If you want to look abroad, look at both Milan clubs. Hugely successful, massive fanbases, yet up until the past year or two, both clubs were finishing mid table frequently.

Merely having a big reputation or being successful in the past does not exempt any club from languishing in mediocrity.

As for us having top players, I mean <laugh> Right now, it's a struggle to find the ones I want to keep, rather than sell. Which has never been the case in the time I've supported Arsenal.

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Pool were stupid for a number of years though, mate. They spent big money on absolute dross. Over the past 18-24 months though that's all changed, they've bought smartly and are reaping the benefits.

Utd were always going to struggle post Fergie - and even then, their struggle has seen them win an FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League plus the Community Shield, which ain't bad for a decline. They still need a good bit of work get back to anywhere near where they once were, not sure Ole is the man but time will tell on that.

I wouldn't really look abroad as a means to compare at the moment, the money in the Prem now means that the likes of West Ham and Everton can likely compete with the Milan clubs for a player and arguably come out on top.

From an outsider, I'd say you've got real quality in attack and you're OK-ish in midfield, though you're ****ing **** at the back. A LB and two CBs, plus a replacement for Ramsey and I think you'd see a massive upturn in form/ results next season, even just getting two out the four would help, so naturally I'm hoping you sign another attacking mid or a striker.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  5. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I still think the massive thing will be just how much we will back Emery this summer.

If it really is a £45m transfer budget, well then I am not sure what we are going to do, considering we will have to replace the players that are out of contract (Ramsey, Welbeck, Cech, Monreal, Lichtsteiner)

if we go out and buy proven (expensive) players, then we can start progressing again and moving forward.

Unfortunately I think itll be the former, not the latter.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think it was Bear who posted a while ago about how £45m can actually equate to more face value than that. As most transfers are paid in instalments. So if a down payment on a player is £5m and then we're paying £50m for a him over 3 years for example, then out of that £45m we only pay £5m now and £15m for the entire year, which would incorporate two windows.

So out of that £45m we could realistically buy a £50m and it only cost us £12.5m this window.

7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Tierney
    It was me, bitch.

People need to stop this fear-mongering of 'only £45m to spend on transfer fees'.

https://shewore.com/2018/05/19/arsenals-50m-budget-explained/

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Desperate stuff this piskie

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Simple economics Bobs

10. BobbyD

BobbyD President

That everyone who has a 50m can actually go and spend 200m as you only pay a quarter in the first year? Alright mate on you go lol

Citizen Kane. likes this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

All depends on what deals you can strike. But yes essentially a £45m transfer kitty doesn’t mean you can only buy players up to the value of £45m in that window.

12. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Would explain why emery has no money to spend then. Those wenger buys are still being paid off 3 years later

Diego likes this.