1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is The Premier League Really Worth It?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, May 20, 2019.

1. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Makes Sam look like an angel!!!

2. Barry Tiger

Barry Tiger Well-Known Member

What is it with football clubs and dodgy people?

3. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

If ever there is a league that only caters for big clubs then the Premiership wins hands down. The rest of the teams just make up the numbers and that has ruined what suppose to be the pinnacle of all players and teams to play in.....The Swans achieved 7 years that was suppose to make us a better more financially better team and it did at the beginning but every season it got more expensive as the big clubs pushed up transfer fees and over the top contracts that filtered down to the smaller clubs and even down to the championship and further down the leagues.....As the big clubs fleece the rest of us and take the best players because they can and in a lot of cases they never play the player in the first team because it is full of foreign players on over £100k+ a week........Unless these big teams form a european league or put a cap on transfer and pay then i cant see any hope for those teams that dont have a money no object budget. Cardiff are a prime example of a good championship side that was entertaining to watch but they could never in the two seasons they made it to the premiership compete to a consistent level and have been relegated in just one season on both occasions........Until the premiership make some radical changes then me personally dont want to play there....

4. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I’m not sure that’s strictly correct. How does the success of Leicester and the terrific performances by eg Bournemouth and Watford fit into your analysis?

5. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree with most of that except for your last sentence Dai - I still want to go back but be able compete properly next time with the other 13 teams we'll face outside the top 6.

We got it wrong this time and it was our own fault. Not going to harp on about last summer, but in reality, that transfer window cost us our Prem place.

6. swanseaandproud

Leicester and their win was good to see but in reality it was a fluke, I wont downgrade their achievement but that only happens once in a lifetime....They could not capitalise on it like a big club can and have struggled since.....And they are a much better club than Cardiff and Swansea.......I dont know how many games you saw where the Officials were obviously bias towards the big teams but i saw plenty of instances of blatant favoritism....Wolves just like the Swans did a good job in their first season but they will be pegged back when the big clubs come calling. The three that got promoted this season i am expecting to all be in the relegation battle with wolves,Brighton and Bournemouth and that will be as good as it gets for them and it will cost them a lot of money just to stay out of the bottom 3.........It is not worth paying your money if all you see is your team losing most of your games........Give me the Championship any day of the week where it is much more even and everyone has a chance of winning and fans are much happier......

clingo likes this.
  7. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Leicester winning by TEN points was totally unprecedented and unpredictable and unlike to reoccur agreed.

VAR may well make a difference next season.

Agree the second tier is more competitive from top to bottom and you’re not really sure how to predict the games and there are no top clubs so to speak (as in PL) and as such it is a great division.

But saying all that it was really disappointing City couldn’t compete sufficiently to survive.

clingo likes this.
  8. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

You've made some good points Dai but surely you would want to see your team play against the best.

Swansea could/should have improved year by year if they had not brought in a few under par managers.

If we don't go straight back up I can see both of us melt into mid table also rans with dwindling gates.

clingo likes this.
  9. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Well written Dai with some excellent points made. There's no question that the Championship is more competitive and there is less elitism, but as mentioned by others, clubs like ours will suffer from falling gates if we are not in the hunt for promotion. At the end of the day, we're football fans with aspirations for our beloved clubs, and deep down we all want to dine at the top table. That said, I most certainly think that the PL needs a major overhaul with the focus on the fans that fund all the TV companies, agents and others that make bazillions out of the game. Unfortunately, and as I've said before, such an overhaul would require the will of the very people that are making all the money, the EFL and PL are toothless in their own right. Anyway, Bluebirds, Swans and Robins for promotion next season -if we don't make match of the day, we'll at least be on Springwatch 2020.

10. swanseaandproud

I'm sure our clubs will be fighting for promotion this coming season or it won't be worth taking part.....My post really is about the pit falls of premiership football that is less enjoyable for the fans......I would love to see VAR at all championship games and i would like to see Officials explain certain decisions to a Referee board and after a season or so we should see a pattern forming where we could see some biases towards the bigger clubs....I would also like to see something done about mega rich clubs buying up the best players and not playing them......I could go on and on about the gap that is growing between the mega rich clubs and the rest of us as the big clubs dominate the premiership and every one of them have expressed that they should get the lions share of all TV revenue and the way things are going they will get that to.....We all want to play in the premiership but i can see more and more clubs getting into financial difficulty if changes are not made....

clingo likes this.