1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is the Premier League over-rated?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by DMD, May 16, 2019.

1. Morbid_White

Morbid_White Well-Known Member

And at least with the Norwich players, we know they can play in the Championship :)

Leedsoflondon and Eireleeds1 like this.
  2. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

3. Leedsoflondon

I was left speechless

4. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Let's have a look, then ....

Definitely not wanted (9): Anita, Cibicki, De Bock, Denton, Ekuban, O'Kane, Saiz, Sacko, Bouy.

Jury out (16): Balboa, Coyle, Dalby, Grot, Huffer, Ideguchi, Kitching, Machuca, Male, O'Connor, Pearce, Rey, Sarkic, Shaughnessy, Wilks, Wollerton

Oops! Was actually 25, not 27. Must have been a couple of 'doubler' loans I missed. :)

I didn't commit to who we would hang on to, as it's a really tough call as to who ticked all the boxes they were sent out to achieve, and those who didn't. Almost all of the 'Jury out' are u23s (except Ideguchi & arguably Coyle), so let there be no confusion about them getting loaned out to get rid.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    ristac likes this.
  5. Leedsoflondon

It was meant as a lighthearted comment but you’ve opened up an interesting debate. If Bielsa stays, I’d add Bouy, Ideguchi. O’Connor (I think it was him that pissed off bielsa with his attitude) to the definitely gone list.

Whitejock likes this.
  6. Morbid_White

The only one I would argue with on your jury out list is Buoy, given that he is 25 and only managed to start 12 games for Zwolle, I would anticipate that we have better options in the u23's that played last season. Ideguchi is a difficult one because of his injury.

As for the rest in the jury out section, as you say it will depend on how the club assess what happened during the loan periods, although I imagine most of the 21 year olds will most likely be on the clubs not wanted list

Whitejock likes this.
  7. Whitejock

It might have been a lighthearted comment, but it was spot on - & I largely agree with it. Btw, both of you agreed on Bouy. You made me realise who he is, so he's been moved over to the deffo out list.

In all honesty, I can't see many of the 'Jury out' list remaining.

* I think Huffer will definitely be retained, and possibly Male too.
    * I like the idea of Wilks being retained, and the same goes for Coyle, but I think that's less likely to happen.
    * Dark horse might be Grot, as I think he was sent home to rebuild his confidence. Stevens' emergence might be his stumbling block, however.
    * O'Connor & Shaughnessy? Hmm, can't see it. In their absence, Halme, Struijck, & Diaz have come to the fore playing Bielsaball. Nessi only impressed me as an emergency inclusion in defence. I thought he was poor as a DM. O'Connor has never impressed me - not in the way that Halme & Struijk have.
    * Balboa & Sarkic always impressed me in attack, but I have the feeling the boat has sailed for them. Edmondson & Clarke have been the shining lights in their absence, and to a lesser extent Kun T, - not to mention Wilks.
    * Dalby may be coming home to get his chance to shine in the u23s, especially if Edmondson moves up to the 1st team squad. He was farmed out to get some experience & game time, sure, but I think the real reason was to fast track Edmondson. And it worked!
    * Pearce? Real toughie, this one. I don't think Bielsa likes him. He's been overlooked from day 1, despite being the prominent up-and-comer. Could be curtains. Conversely, could also be him & Davis taking on each other or Douglas for LB.

Ok, rambling over. Anyone else got any thoughts? I know a few watch the u23s on LUTV, so it would be interesting to hear some alternative views.

EDIT 21:16: Just noticed on the club website that Male has just signed a new contract.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    ristac and Leedsoflondon like this.
  8. Leedsoflondon

I agree with you actually. For whatever reason Bielsa doesn’t seem to like Pearce. One minute he’s being touted by premier league teams, now he’s being Davis.

Whitejock likes this.
  9. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I’d be curious to know what sort of contracts those lads have that we need to move on. If we’re going to have to subsidise some or all of their moves incl agents fees, that’s another huge drain of resources yet again

Whitejock likes this.
  10. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

According to Doc Oriol Rey has been getting rave reviews out in Spain so will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Did see a clip of him in action (Rey not Doc <whistle>) and he looks great. Not sure what level in Spain he's playing at but it was against Barcelona B so not too shabby

Whitejock likes this.

11. Eireleeds1

According to wiki, it’s third division football.
    Segunda División B is the third level of the Spanish football league system currently divided into 4 groups of 20 teams each. It is administered by the RFEF. It is below the top two levels of the league, the Primera División and the Segunda División, and above the Tercera División. Wikipedia

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  12. Morbid_White

Well I'm afraid its not the best of news then Eire

Contracts ending for those players who have been out on loan this season: The values after the names are taken from transfermarkt.com, and are there just for information purposes, and not values that I believe (plus these values are in Euro, not Pounds) :)

June 2019 - Wollerton

June 2020 - Anita (1.8m), Denton (90k), Sacko (1.0m) , Balboa, Coyle (225k), Dalby, Huffer, Machuca (90k), O'Connor, Rey (270k), Sarkic (90k)

June 2021 - Cibicki (900k), Ekuban (630k), Saiz (2.25m), Bouy (540k), Grot (900k), Kitching, Shaughnessy (225k), O'Kane (675k)

June 2022 - De Bock (1.1m), Ideguchi (630), Pearce (225k), Wilks

I didn't include Male, as WJ pointed out, he has just signed a professional contract with us

Of course to look on the bright side, if someone actually went and paid us all those figures, we would raise Euro 11 mil ( I won't hold my breath though)

Eireleeds1, Whitejock and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  13. Whitejock

Oddly enough, there's a correlation between the length of contract & value of the player - i.e. All of the class of 22 some of the class of 21 are worth something. Can't see us getting bugger all for the other lot, perhaps with the exception of Coyle.

14. Morbid_White

WJ - Have edited my post to include values listed for those players according to same site I got the contract details from

Whitejock likes this.
  15. Whitejock

Well done sir!

Have to say that some of the prices are a bit odd. £1m for Sacko? I would have thought we'd have to pay more than that to get rid. <whistle>

16. Morbid_White

Too be fair, I thought the same about De Bock.

Should also point out that those prices are in Euros, not proper money :emoticon-0143-smirk

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  17. Eireleeds1

Bloody hell, I’d forgotten some of that lot were still on our books. Some mess. Wonder who scouted that lot

18. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just a thought reading this and in and out of favour players....

Bielsa is a great coach and he is certainly thorough in his approach to games. He has a thing too for players reaching this 10% body fat rating.

I’m wondering if players not reaching this target are frozen out as Bielsa sees it as not trying hard enough in training, it would explain Saiz and possibly Brown.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  19. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

I know hes my favourite