1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Short ready to take a hit to sell SAFC?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Kind of funny that you could buy a football club for the same price as a house, though it says more about the ridiculous house prices in London than anything else.

The last reports of potential takeovers seemed legit so hopefully this is true too. Let's hope the books are looking better.

3. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I never even clicked the link once I saw it was the Star.

Gil T Azell and commachio like this.
  4. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

I think there is probably some truth in it but as said it is in the star

5. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Same.

6. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I'm a little concerned, if this is true, that he's getting desperate and prepared to flog the club to any Tom, Dick or Harry. There's worse football chairman than Ellis Short about.

crumble bungle likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

any chance of a copy and paste please?

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Sunderland EXCLUSIVE: Chairman Ellis Short to sell club for same price as his house
    Share on FacebookShare via WhatsappShare on Twitter
    please log in to view this image
    GETTY

Ellis Short wants to sell Sunderland
    ELLIS SHORT is ready to sell Sunderland for virtually the same price as his house.

By Ian Murtagh09.10, 12 Oct 2017 UPDATED 12.10, 12 Oct 2017
    Owner Short is slashing his asking price for the struggling Championship outfit to little more than the £57m his luxury west London place is on the market for.

The American businessman has been looking for a way out of Sunderland for the past two years and thought he had found a buyer in June.

But talks with two parties broke down while a Middle East consortium cooled their interest after seeing the books.

Sunderland’s latest accounts, released six months ago, revealed the club is £110m in debt.

Despite relegation and dwindling crowds, that figure has been significantly reduced following a series of cost-cutting measures.

please log in to view this image

Sunday league side Dawdon Welfare Park play in new Sunderland kit

In June when Simon Grayson was unveiled as the Black Cats’ latest manager, chief executive Martin Bain claimed the club was no longer for sale.

That remains the case but Starsport understands discussions have taken place between Short’s people and other parties
    over a potential sale.

Those interested have been told the new price for the club could be as little as half the £120m he wanted just four months ago

Last year, Short appointed Inner Circle Sports to seek would-be buyers and the New York-based investment bank produced a glossy brochure advertising the benefits of the Wearside club.

It failed to produce the desired sale with Short himself pulling out of talks with a German businessman and a London-based supporters’ group not following up their initial interest.

Talks with Chinese and American investors also collapsed with no-one willing to meet his valuation.

The loss of Premier League status – with little prospect of promotion in the short-term – has cut Sunderland’s value again.

While Short can expect a whopping profit on the Chelsea home he bought in 1997, that would be dwarfed by the hit he is likely to take on the club he took over a decade later.

9. Brian Storm

cheers nacho. looks like he has managed to shift a bulk load of the debt through cost cutting. that daft mag who came on thinkng he knew the lot about our situation.

think the club is going to cost a lot more than his london pad. the academy is elite and one of the highest valued training facilities in the country. and will be valued more than his london pad surely.
    new buyers vetted now though mate.

10. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

11. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Apart from N'Dong not a massive loss. Although, is flogging players not a bit of a short term approach? Surely a side with more international players is more marketable and therefore worth more...

C19RK73 likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

not with us. we failed complety at marketing ourselves with much better players than ths and with more marketable players then this. large wage savings amount to millions in a matter of months. long term plans with no guarantees won't make us salebable short term. instant savings of millions will imo.

clockstander likes this.
  13. Brian Storm

besides, the three mentioned aren't setting the league alight.

clockstander likes this.
  14. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I suppose that depends on the mindset of the buyer. Some buyers may be willing to take on the debt at its current suggested level. Others won't. Kone and Rodwell are a different matter but selling N'Dong, even if he isn't playing particularly well, is effectively weakening the first team. I can understand making a business more financially viable in order to make it more attractive to buyers but if that comes at the cost of weakening it you're actually taking counterproductive measures.

15. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Getting rid of Jack will take some doing, even for a man such as Bain, watching with interest here.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. Brian Storm

besides, the three mentioned aren't setting the league alight.
    got weigh up the wages against contribution. gooch, honeyman for eg their contribution for wages is representing value. the three mentioned compared at will look like we're hemorrhaging money through them cause they're not contibuting enough. cut em free if we can i say. Can't see a new owner wanting more debt for the sake of a long term plan masterminded by a car cash owner who wants out in the short term. Give me less debt and my own plan all day long if i was a buyer.

i'd get shot of ndong simly because if he carries on this average form in this average league then any resale value he still has will be gone in months anyway. sell him while we can. had his chance to step up imo

17. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I'd like to keep N'Dong, I don't think any player would stand out for us at the moment, no matter how good they are. Our club is just dragging players down with the lack of confidence and talent floating about.

I've seen enough of him to think he's head and shoulders above what we've got and if we were to be promoted next season, he's one player we could be pretty safe to rely on in the premier league.

Kone and Rodwell should be getting offered around China as we speak.

18. Brian Storm

think Short will be selling ndong long before promotion whether he improves or not cause thats what we've become. waiting will only determined what we get. at the moment i can't see him retaining his current value unless theres a massive upturn in form.

i've resigned myself to any player going if theres an average offer sadly. think Watmore will be gone jan

19. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Ditto

20. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Kone put a few decent performances in but as soon as that transfer window shut he seems to have downed tools. Stinking attitude. He should be an absolute beast at this level and would be if he even put a half arsed effort in.

Rodwell I'd genuinely let him go to any club free of charge just to get him off the wage bill. If he stays till the end of his contract he'll pick up around another £6m in wages

Ndong I'd like to keep but if someone comes in with a decent offer and that frees up money to bring in a striker I'd probably take that. Centre mid is one area we are fairly flush

Nacho likes this.