1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is no-one irreplaceable?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Channonfodder, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Years ago, if Le Tiss had left, we would have almost certainly have been relegated during those nail-biting years.
    Later, after our fall and rebirth, other teams fans pointed out, sadly quite accurately, that Markus Liebherr was no spring chicken. After his untimely death we were relieved to find that Cortese was staying.
    We also worried about whether the decision to replace Pardew with Adkins and in turn Pochettino was correct but even more of concern was whether Cortese was irreplaceable. Turns out, he wasn't.
    And then last summer we had the exodus of manager and players and we can see how that left us stronger.
    So is anyone now irreplaceable? I love Ronald but I am sure that Les Reed already has a short list of replacements if Ron went.
    So is anyone vital now? Les must be one the best football men around. He would be tough to replace but Saints are now able to attract much better calibre people than a few years ago. Which brings us to Katharina Liebherr. The club is now running on a very sound financial footing. We don't need her to keep injecting cash to fund our progress any more. We just need her not to sell up some megalomaniac. Otherwise, my football club is so well run that no-one is irreplaceable.

2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

No one is irreplaceable, but for me Reed comes close.

3. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

4. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Les?

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Good thread. Can't think of a single person off-the cuff. Possibly, as Beefy says, Les Reed is the most important football individual at the club.
    This may come as a surprise [I've gone and surprised myself..!], but I think Kruegar may also be bucking for contention there too, on the non-football side and as an overall figure. By all means shoot that thought down.

6. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Dtlw

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sammy Lee. :D

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Bang :)

He's been here five minutes; hardly irreplaceable, even if he is doing a good job.

*comments will be retracted if I missed the 100M sponsorship deal*

:)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Les Reed far more important than Kreuger...the latter is replaceable and it wouldn't worry me if he left (although I have nothing against him).

10. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Katharina Liebherr

11. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

It's not black-and-white, though is it?

Probably no one is irreplaceable, but at the same time if they were all easily replaceable then we would likely be a mediocre side at best. I would say that none of the staff are easily replaceable. It's a testament to the overall strength of the administration that if we lose one we are still able to complete the difficult task of finding a suitable replacement and/or training that person and indoctrinating them to the culture. But eventually, if you keep leaking good personnel you will run out of luck. As such, I'd like to keep everyone around for a bit longer!

12. fatletiss

You really sound confused. You've confused me. "probably no-one is irreplaceable" .... "none of the staff are easily replaceable"..

Ok.

Confused.com

13. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Sooo... You think Gazzaniga is a keeper, then?;)

I didn't mention Kruger in my post because, excellent though he may be, it never occurred to me that he was irreplaceable.

14. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Yes, you're confused quite a lot.

This color here... it's called "black." This other color here... it's called "white."

And this other color here? It's not either one of the other two colors. How does it exist? Only in a state of confusion!

15. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

It's unfortunate that you went for the obvious FLT. You didn't consider for a second that Kruegar might actually be important to the overall policy or to Kate Liebherr. Why was he selected..? Why can't anybody do his job..? You may have missed the £100M sponsorship deal.

I just threw it there out for someone to explain why not. Not just reject it out of hand. But this a football forum as I keep forgetting. The maximum post must be no more than a few lines long otherwise nobody'll read it properly. It appears that indeed nobody is irreplaceable, and yet people are meant to be the most important part of the club. Doesn't quite square, that one.

16. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The corollary of this is that everyone can be replaced which is correct of course. The issue then is what qualities will the replacement bring? If you take the clubs policy of finding managers who maintain the philosophy, style and momentum of the club then our last three managers have all done that but each in a quite unique and different way. All of them the same but different. Succession management is a very tricky business that organisations like to ensure is in place but every appointment is a gamble. You just have to make sure that the odds are stacked in your favour and that is what Saints have done. I do agree though that Katerina is the tricky person to replace. In any organisation you must have people with skill, desire, enthusiasm and commitment and as we have seen with a number of clubs once the owner loses any or all these qualities then the club goes backwards. Aston Villa is a case in point. So we need Katerina more than anyone else. She is the one person who would be very difficult to replace because unlike any other buyer she is emotionally tied to Saints because of her father. Tragic though his loss was it is that which has bonded her to our club in a way that would be difficult to see replicated in her successor, and without a doubt she will have a successor, but let us just hope that event is a long way off.

17. fatletiss

Why is that unfortunate TSS?

Please point me to where I said he wasn't of huge value? I think he is. The biggest problem of a football forum is that people read a response that doesn't agree with theirs and assume it is black rather than white; as you have. There can be grey.

My view is that Krueger is a good guy but not irreplaceable. If you threw it out there, it sounds like you wanted a response. You got one.

Questions to your questions:

Why was he selected?
    Who says that anybody can't do his job? Many people may well be able to do it.
    What has he done to date in your view that makes him irreplaceable, or is it more that you like his positivity (as I do)?
    Do you have some knowledge on his results/input that is not yet public?
    Do you think he is irreplaceable?

To say I "didn't consider for a second how important Krueger might be to the overall policy" is hugely assumptive. Sorry TSS but you are now knowing my mind?

Have I missed that 100m deal then?

I think it's a bit cheap to post what you did about my response and then not give me any evidence ior reasoning as to why I was "obvious." In fact you then imply you believe that nobody is irreplaceable????

By the way, I do think people are undervalued in a business, but that's doesn't make them irreplaceable. Accountants at a business put machines as assets and people as costs..... That doesn't square either.

18. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Yes what is this £100m sponsorship deal that Krueger has organised then?

Saints Fan4Life and kjhgfd34 like this.
  19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

St Godders: without a doubt Katarina will have a successor, but let us just hope that event is a long way off.

Hopefully, her son. I gather he's keen on us...what a nice birthday present we would be. :)

20. stjohnson

stjohnson Active Member

I believe Mayuka is irreplaceable , you wont find a like for like anywhere :)