1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Meire the most incompetent CEO in history?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Aug 25, 2017.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

2. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

As you know I'm at Gills next weekend, I will make Southend away, Wombles away plus any others that fit in with looking after the dog.

Home matches?.... not till he sells our famous club <ok>

3. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

4. User deleted as requested

7 league games in, and there were worrying signs of "Meire-itis" about our squad last night. Put simply, apart from kids Robinson literally has no options off the bench. Certainly no game changer and no type of player that can serve up a Plan B.

Ricky Holmes is now one game from suspension and Magennis looked very leaden last night - the exact same thing happened to him last season where carrying the lone burden up front saw him pick up injuries and then lose form.

Unfortunately our "Meire Squad" means that Robinson can't freshen things up on Saturday, even though you can guarantee he would like to.

5. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Ben Reeves (if he ever reaches match fitness) and Mark Marshall is about as much depth as our current squad will have.
    Apologists aside, Charlton fans have been saying all summer that this issue was not being addressed.

When things are going well against moderate opposition, out strongest XI has proved it can usually get the job done.
    But even then there were warning signs in several games.

When the other team does not crack under the early pressure we exert, our options to change things are presently almost zero.
    Charlton are still in a fantastic position, third after seven games. But when things go wrong during a game we are still struggling to turn it around.
    All of our 15 points have come from matches that we have led from the first goal scored. Only Oldham have equalised against us so far.

Taking the lead and not losing that lead until the final whistle is obviously a desirable thing, and we have done that this season against
    Bristol Rovers (H)
    Northamption Town (H)
    Rotherham United (A)
    Southend United (H)

But so far this season we have only gained 2 points from a game where a team has equalised against us (Oldham).
    and on the two occasions when we have conceded the first goal, we have lost the game without scoring. Aggregate score 0-5 against.

This lack of ability to come back from a losing position will cost Charlton an automatic promotion place, and perhaps even a top 6 position, if it is not addressed. We had all summer to minimise this potential problem by making our squad stronger. Now another solution will need to be found.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. User deleted as requested

I totally agree @lardiman

Robinson has no options to change or influence a match. That much became obvious last night. The paucity of much of the opposition in L1 will ensure that we float in the top half until injuries and suspensions bite.

CAFC'sBestInterests likes this.
  7. CAFC'sBestInterests

CAFC'sBestInterests Well-Known Member

They say lessons have been learned, but RD's here to sell players, and ultimately to profit from the Club, so his policy will be to start every season with a thin squad, because that forces the manager into placing youngsters in the shop window on match days.

It has proved to be very profitable for him so far, so why would he stop.?

8. User deleted as requested

Robinson claims he doesn't get interference from Douche - just "a couple of texts" <cheers>

I'm sure the next text from Belgium to KR will read "f*cking pick Konsa"

CAFC'sBestInterests likes this.
  9. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

We have sold a lot of players, for a relatively big sum, but he certainly hasn't made a profit. For every Joe Gomez sold, there is 3 players we have bought, paid wages to for a few years and then had to pay off.

Miketyson2007Junior likes this.
  10. User deleted as requested

What happened to the £11,750,000 received in January for Lookman & Fox?

11. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

I think it was £8,750,000 - £11,000,000 is the potential fee with all add ons. As for where it's gone - in his pocket I presume.

I'm more than happy to slate RD when he does something wrong, but let's not try and pretend he is getting rich off us, or even made a penny off us.

Miketyson2007Junior likes this.
  12. User deleted as requested

Let's not feel sorry for the twat either. He has totally and utterly wrecked this football club of ours. And last night showed we are still a basket case. He could have abandoned his autistic way of running a football club after Peeters & Luzon, but no. If he is worth 850m Euros I hope he loses every penny of it.

Seeing the Valley with 7000 fans in it for a league game was not something I ever expected to witness again

13. CAFC'sBestInterests

CAFC'sBestInterests Well-Known Member

Fair enough, how much he's made is debatable, but I stand by my original point, profiting from the Club has always been his aim.
    If he hasn't made anything from us yet it's only because his madcap plan failed miserably.

Paying off bad contracts, wages for useless players is all down to him.

14. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

I think that a lot of proper passionate fans, in a word, have failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions. Merely what we have at the moment is one big distraction that is we're doing okay. It's like Huxley put in Brave New World, the powers that be do not need to do any crazy PR stunts, or worry about the protester we're all too fixated on the winning at the moment. We're doing okay in the league, and they'll beat that drum, even if we're bottom of the league next year. They'll be "We won league one, and can do it again..."

15. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

While that might be true for a small minority of eternal optimists, who will never ever see wrong in RD's stewardship, the pitiful turnout last night suggests that thousands of fans have had enough. I did not renew my S/T, but still buy tickets for my old seat when I go, and of the fellow supporters who sat round about me, NONE of them are there any more, front, back, either side. As far as I know none of them were protestors, they had just had enough of paying good money to watch mediocrity. I seriously despair when I read the sort of stuff which assumes that everyone who has stopped going is a CARD member or a boycotter. These people willingly absolve the club of any responsibility to attract fans/paying customers. If there is another walk of life where this applies no-one has told me about it.

16. User deleted as requested

Its the same where I sit - there used to be three regular pairs of fathers & sons there - sadly not one of them was present for either the Southend or Wigan games. Idiots may scoff at this with blithe statements like "we can grow a new fan base" <doh><doh><doh> - f*ck off - no we can't.

We need these people and the 2 arseholes from St Truiden have lost them.

DickPlumb and Ponders Revisited like this.
  17. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i've bought a ST this year after 2 years of not having one. and on reflection, i think i regret it. I dont mind paying for a ticket, the last few ST's i had was £340 and that was a bargain. this year, at £135 i feel a little robbed.

in the summer it seemed that the regime had added 10% more common sense into running the club. but 10% on zero is still only 10%. no one i know goes anymore and that was what i was missing.

i get free tickets from work with lounge passes. i could not give them out in the queue for tickets last night. stood there for 10 mins trying and then thought F it.

18. The Elfsborg Sparrow

Have inboxed you amigo.

19. The Elfsborg Sparrow

They probably got f***** off sitting next to you and relocated.

20. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I think the money going to RD is entirely academic. If he genuinely thought he was going to buy a cheap foortball club in England and make money, he was a deluded olf fool, and as they say, a fool and his money are soon parted. Mark Hulyers quote about owning a football club being the financial equivalent of standing over a drain and shaking your pockets and wallet will always be the logical conclusión of those who have been there. You buy a football club for prestige (Charlton ? Ha!), love of the game (Roland? Ha ha!!) or because you have more money than you know what to do with.
    I can see the logic behind trying to keep the books balanced. There is no logic in simply squandering money. But running the club on a shoestring lacks logic too. He could have spent some money this summer, but chose to hoard everything. Those who say he pushed te boat out have clearly never seen wáter. He cut and cut - we offloaded the overpaid and the talented. We bought in some good players, but the balance was clearly we have been left light again. While I expected him to pocket most of the Lookman money, I wasn't expecting to see it all go. This season is incognito. A good start but early days, and while we were never going to be unbeaten, last night was ugly. But when it comes to money. Roland has splashed millions on rubbish. Now he is scrimping every summer. People say 'with whose money?' when we ask about buying Griggs or whoever. The same money the owner paraded when he arrived. The money from Lookman. Because a club our size will never break even at this level. It's go up or down. And if RD hasn't learnt that, he hasn't learned anything.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Sat In Greenwich and lardiman like this.