1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Man Utd your second team?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by St. Luigi Scrosoppi, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Sadly Pompey............Why.....Because they were the first football team I ever went to with my Grandad and uncle.......My favourite uncle was a Saints fan so for around 8/10 years used to go to Pompey one week Saints the next. If there was a clash of ties always to the Saints.........

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I supported Arsenal for a while because it was my ex-husband's team....of course that was before I saw the light. Hallelujah. And dropped him and them. However, I still have a mild interest in them.

Man United....I don't believe that is a popular second team for most people. May have been a bit true after the Munich disaster, but not for a long time surely.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

What’s a second team? I don’t understand

4. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Saints reserves.

5. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

A quite revolting thread

6. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I said Napoli, but there is Atlanta Utd too.

Basically, no team we will ever play. If we get Napoli in the Champion's League next year it is Saints all the way :)

7. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

Union Berlin due to the fact that I grew up there, it helps that they're a unique, quirky, fan owned club.

Don't have a second team in the england, though I have a level of empathy for the underdog clubs like Burnley, Sunderland and Brighton

8. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

**** off <laugh> Apologies, just read second part of your post. Man F&£king Utd - no way. First game I saw with my dad when I was about 10, I saw Denis Law punch the ball into our goal. Couldn’t believe (yes I know) that a top team would cheat. Ref saw, disallowed & I think we drew 2-2 (early 60’s). Great admiration for Ferguson era but had a total dislike for them & regardless of who their manager is, can’t see that changing...... Adkins just maybe might?

Ps. Now, a list of teams I dislike & why ..... hum, that’ll take quite a while!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

10. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Concept of a 2nd team is a bit alien, especially if that team is a team in a top league. I get supporting a very small side at a local level but having a "2nd team" in the same/similar league is odd to me

Saints_Alive and Lovearsenalcock like this.

11. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Pompey and Saints for me, although I have to admit liking the North London pair. In Spain it is Sevilla, and when they are doing well, Athletic Bilbao.

ImpSaint likes this.
  12. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Have quite a few teams I look out for their results for various reasons Bristol City/Rovers probably being the most consistent ones. Follow more closely a few teams abroad Real Betis and Bari the main 2. But would never say any of them are really a 2nd team.

Thought I would hate Utd forever but pretty much nothing them after Fergie left. I used to feel that way about Liverpool and disliked Utd and now they seem to have switched places. My dislike for Spurs has been there since I first started following football and the other 3 of the big 6 I don't really care either way about, like City the most out of them I guess.

13. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Yep, I follow the teams nearest to where I was born (Torquay) and to where I grew up (Sholing) and have seen both play in Wembley finals but my overriding passion is of course Saints.

14. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

No. Nope. No siree. <whistle>

Okay, maybe there is one team... but I have my reasons. :)

Number 1 Jasper and garysfc like this.
  15. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Can’t honestly say I support them but always watch out with some affection to results from Sheffield Wed, Pompey and Dorchester Town.

16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I have a soft spot for both Brentford and Leyton Orient. I always felt a bit dirty visiting other London grounds unless it was to watch Saints, but these two ****holes, one in the the West and the other in the East of the capital, I have an affection for. Nothing remotely glamorous about either ground or club, that’s probably why I like them; underdog culture and all that.

Just to be clear though, neither is my “second club”. If they both lose it doesn’t affect my weekend in the slightest.

It's Only A Game likes this.
  17. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The ground where Southampton gained promotion to the top tier for the first time in the club´s history.

Libby, Saints_Alive and Archers Road like this.
  18. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Only the arrogance of Manure fans could consider any other fans would like their horrid club and revolting self entitled fans
    ABU (anyone but United)

AshbySaint and Archers Road like this.
  19. Saints_Alive

I hated Dirty Leeds and Arsenal (mainly Bob "Chicken head" Wilson) in the eary 70s first. Then I despised Liverpool despite admiring the way that they played the game. After Fergie's Manure started dominating I hated them. I mainly just hate Liverpool and Spuds now for obvious reasons.

20. Saints_Alive

And history virtually repeated itself 12 years later when a Tony Funnell goal earned a point that all but sealed promotion at Brisbane Road in 1978