1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is It Time To Reduce The Number Of Loanees?

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Apr 26, 2011.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yesterday Leicester fielded six loanees in their team. Five is the maximum but they had an additional one by virtue that he was an International loan and that seemingly doesn't count.

To have five in a team is an arbitrary number. Why five? Why not two?

If the number were reduced it would encourage teams to produce their own players and might even help to re-distribute wealth in English football.

Presently the Premiership buy up young players if they need them or not, then loan them out to get experience. If the number that could go out was reduced then maybe they would have to leave some at football league teams who could then profit when a youngster achieved a good market value.

The rule changes over Academies was designed once again to help the big clubs and put the smaller ones at a disadvantage. It is about time that the smaller teams hit back and by reducing the number of loanees might just be a small step in that direction.

2. bragantino

bragantino Active Member

Would be nice for all the league clubs to agree amongst themselves to take a maximum number of loan players with a set of conditions; say three maximum over the season and only one from the premiership.

There would never be uniformity as as soon as a club wanted more they would go a get them, unless there were points penalties for exceeding the agreed quota.

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Let the FL set the number. In the FA Cup play an ineligible player and you risk getting thrown out.

4. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

In principle I think the Loanee system sucks ,because it stops a clubs youngster coming through! If a bigger club wants to loan out a player to gain experience they should pay all the costs! No more than 2 loanees per team That way more home grown talent will emerge which would benefit that useless lazy fat slugged team they call England!

5. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I think it should be three players and allowance for an emergency loan for a keeper but just once in a season and only if one of your three loanees isn't a keeper.

6. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Does that mean that technically you could have 11 international loanees and get away with it??

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think so hornette, but not 100% sure.

8. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

That's completely bonkers! And i hadn't realised there were 6 loanees yesterday...call 'emselves a team? ;)

9. LuxWFC

LuxWFC Member

I think 2 in the starting line up is a good number.

Having half a team of loanees is ridiculous.....it's abuse of the system.

10. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

i agree with that MadMoose (i seem to do that a lot with your posts!)

11. LuxWFC

LuxWFC Member

You can follow me around waving the MadMoose flag :)

12. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

lol i'll do that then ;) white-flag-emoticon.gif

13. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

Head out of the sand time- the absolute last thing we want is a limit on loanees. This would push up the cost beyond what we can afford( loan players generally earn more whilst onnloan due to the competivness of the loan market) what we need is some sort of rule which prevents the likes of chopra and yakubo being loaned on wages more than most teams budget

14. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

I thought it would work the other way round? If a team is limited to the number of laonees they can have, surely that means there are more available, which means you can be more picky who you take, so the 'big' clubs are more willing to do a better deal in you taking the player? If say Man Utd know there are 10 teams going after their player, they can say whoever offers 100% of his wages and a loan fee can have him, but if there was a limit of say 2 loaness per team, 7 or 8 might already be at that limit so the remaining can say, well here's 50% wage, take it or leave it!!

As previously mentioned, it might also mean that the bigger teams 'targert market' of smaller clubs should severely reduce - so say Spurs fancy buying 10 young English players from Championship clubs this summer with the view to loaning them straight back out, they'd have far less options on where to send them, which may make them think again of buying them all up!!

I think it's rediculous Leicester can field more than half their team of players they don't own, and someone like Cardiff can get Bellamy in where Man City are paying the majority of his wage,w hich is probably more than our whole starting 11's wage!

15. Elixir69

Elixir69 Member

Reserve teams, "Emergency loans" - discuss.

Nowadays Prem teams want to hoover up young talent. These clubs then have so many youngsters and yet the Southern Reserve league is rubbish (the Northern one is still quite competitive BTW). These players need to play games so go out on loan. The costs of these loans vary (salary + loan fees).

Emergency loans - what a misnomer!!!!! OK keeping it polite, look at Danny Drinkwater - Malky has had to commit that he is in every squad otherwise we won't get another Man U loanee. Leicester and Cardiff have clearly abused the "loan market" - I cannot describe my contempt for these 2 recently bankrupt clubs.

Football authorities cannot regulate the costs of loans, but can regulate numbers and age ranges of players made available for loan. One thing is for sure - for Watford to be competitive in this league we need to be involved and keep the Prem clubs "onside".

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yes - we have had one or two crucial loans in recent years - and I can't help thinking back to when Middlesboro recalled Adam Johnson - what a different season that would have turned out to be had he stayed.

17. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

We've got this completely the wrong way around.

We shouldn't be looking to decrease the number of players smaller clubs can loan in.

We should set limits on the number of players that clubs can loan out, so that they can't hoarde players in the first place. Even the big clubs equate reserve football to an effortless version of non-league, saying that players get a much higher standard in League One, League Two, or even the top end of the Conference.

Instead of condemning players to lower than non-league standard, we should shut down all reserve leagues, reduce the number of scholars you can take on to about 5 or 6 per season, allow first year professionals to play at under-18 level, and let players who seem likely to make it in the lower leagues start out there, rather than be mercilessly cast adrift from Manchester United for failing to be the next Ryan Giggs.

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Yes but how do you get our young players to stay in the game if you reduce the number of clubs that can afford to pay them?

19. North North Watford

North North Watford Active Member

Players go into football for the love of the game. The dream of hitting the big time is always there, but the corrupting influence of money generally doesn't set in until it becomes a real possibility. There's no risk of these players dropping out of the game altogether, it simply means that the fluidity of movement between big and small clubs will increase.

At the moment, the problem is that every lad who starts out at Manchester United or Chelsea believes that he is the bee's knees. And most aren't. The earlier a lad who isn't destined for the top realises that he is likely to need to prepare for life after football, the better. If more players start out in the lower leagues, more young players will be prepared for the possibility of a working life outside of football.

20. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Interesting idea NNW going to have to think on that one! There is too much difference money wise from the elite to the also rans!
    Before the days of the prem we never had the loan system because players were more affordable!
    How about severly restict the loan system and abolish the transfer window,(try to take things back to a time where it worked before the greed set in).