1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

is it April the 1st?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by itfcptc, Sep 2, 2014.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

So I've been away for a few days and had no internet access, I come back and see we have rejected a £7million offer for McGoldrick and a substantial offer for Tyrone Mings what has the football world come to?

I like McGoldrick but no way is he worth £7million, I'd have said anything over £1.5 million would've been a reasonable offer. I honestly can't believe we rejected £7million that's insane.

Then to hear Palace have made a substantial bid for Mings a player who's only played a handul of games and for the most part has looked a donkey and then for us to reject it as it sounded like it was in the millions is crazy!! I'm honestly dumbstruck.

The fact we have rejected these ludicrous bids makes me wonder if Mick has actually had a reasonable transfer budget to play with all along and his signings have been who he's genuinely wanted over many others rather than they'll do because they're cheap!!

2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

MM must have told Marcus that he wanted to hang on these two at any cost!

3. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Which is insane, as i said, i would have loved to have sold dids and bought in 3 or 4 quality players that could have made a diffetence!! Only thing is, Mick would have bought in 4 defensive midfielders, ****er!!

4. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Yeah I wish we'd accepted too ITFCPTC.

Oh Spanish haha you do make me laugh :)

5. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that if we were offered the same amounts last week, then we most probably woud've accepted them. I'm pretty sure they were refused as we would not have had any time to replace them with anything decent. Thats the madness of the transfer deadline, everyone's price is over-inflated.

6. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the club did the right thing in keeping the players, particularly as both offers were tabled with hours left of the transfer window. By selling McGoldrick and Mings at such short notice, and with the squad as short as it is, we'd be left in a difficult position until January. We don't have a lot of options, there's no immediate guarantee the money would have been reinvested, or that we would have signed somebody, and we inevitably would have relied far too heavily on the loan market.

Mings is a young player, and he has a lot of potential. The £2.5m bid, at this stage in his career, was an eye-opener, and Jonny Williams thrown in on loan for three months was not a bad sweetener. However, Mings is a defender with a lot of potential. For me, he was one of a couple of players (ironically the other being McGoldrick) to come out of the Norwich match with any credit. He's evidently going to get more playing time, that leads to development and, hopefully with consistent form, he'd be worth a lot more than that in the years to come.

As for McGoldrick, it's highly unlikely we'll see that sort of bid thrown in the direction of Portman Road anytime soon, particularly if McGoldrick refuses to sign a new contract. In this mercurial, money-driven world of football, loyalty and courtesy from a footballer is a rare sign, but I have hopes McGoldrick will sign a new contract and be emboldened to continue his rich vein of goalscoring form. Obviously time will tell whether the club should have accepted the deal, but it's a statement of intent to turn it down and, with McGoldrick arguably being our best player, it reverses the recent trend of us selling off our best players whenever a decent offer comes in. As I mentioned, with the bid being tabled so close to the deadline, it would not have left Mick with a lot of time to sign a replacement. Without McGoldrick, it is difficult to see where the goals will come from.