1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ipswich Town

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by NickH, Sep 28, 2017.

1. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Whilst I don't buy in that some clubs have 'proper' fans and some don't, I do agree that it's nice when some of the more 'fashionable' clubs have their noses blooded by us 'country bumpkins'!

This weekend aside, I do have a bit of a soft spot for Ipswich - it does sometimes make me well up seeing Skuse in a shirt other than Bristol City's.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Skuse is so Suffolk now he even speaks with the local accent!! <laugh>

3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Bristol City through and through is cole<applause><applause><applause>

4. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

This is looking to be a proper great game. 2 teams sky-high in confidence and over-performing initial expectations, yet possibly exactly where we both deserve to be. Our run has to end at some point and I feel like this is the exact game where it might. 2-1 Ipswich for me, but I expect our good form to carry on nonetheless.

5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

We have scored the most goals in the league so far this season... And played one game less.

This is a regular statement seen against Ipswich as well.. In fact I've seen Bristol fans making similar comments in the past. It appears we are both unfashionable and unfancied sides that are upsetting the odds so far this season.

We have a better team than most give us credit for and in McCarthy have probably the most experienced manager in the league, particularly at getting average teams to perform better than the sum of their parts. I'd also say that we are playing like the Ipswich Town of 14/15 rather than the shower of ****e we served up during the 16/17 season

6. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Yet the match still wont get much recognition or coverage on any national media (BBC, Talksport) and as for the football league show.. I'd guess the usual 2:30 highlights clip after they've got bored discussing the likes of Villa, Wolves and Leeds etc.

RedorDead and BCFCRob like this.
  7. johnnywarksmoustache

I love being under the Radar of the mainstream media! <ok>

8. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Indeed you have - but I STILL would be surprised if we conceded 3. I don't think that's a controversial point of view - most clubs, most week don't concede that many.

9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

At least you don't have Jeff Stelling accidentally refer to you as Bristol Rovers almost every week!

10. johnnywarksmoustache

He doesn't bother to mention us most weeks and when he does its through gritted teeth! <laugh>

Tony Cottee deserves a freeking medal having to watch our home games every week for the past 3 or 4 years! He must be taking a shed full of Prozac to get him through it!

11. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

As are We. No longer do we aimlessly hump the ball forward to the ghost of player we sold before the Summer transfer deadline and we no longer have a centre mid pairing who look like they've stood too long in some setting concrete. As I said before, we're far more like our play off side who surprised all the odds.. Not that I'm expecting that again this season, that was fuelled by McGoldrick being fit for over 50% of the season and Murphy bagging 27 goals..

But it's clear that 2 of last seasons struggling sides are in a far healthier shape this time round.

After starting as one of the bookies favorites for relegation, after 9 games we are now even stronger favorites for relegation :1980_boogie_down:

Bookies odds are often more closely based on betting patterns and clearly not many are betting on us to win.. Even Sunderland were favorites to beat us mid week and not many would have lumped on that with much confidence (though that can be said of pretty much any championship match) :emoticon-0126-nerd:

12. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Should be a good game,both sides starting well,probably a boring 0-0<doh>

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  13. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

On JGFs prediction thread I put 3-2 to us, but that's more in hope than anything. I would take a draw and be delighted with a win but not entirely surprised by a defeat.
    Interesting that the BBC have us as narrow favourites to win though..... IMG_1859.PNG

14. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

On-loan midfielder Bersant Celina could keep his place for Ipswich after scoring in their win over Sunderland.
    Flynn Downes remains sidelined with a thigh problem, but defender Adam Webster (ankle) is close to a return.
    Bristol City midfielder Marlon Pack is suspended, having been booked five times so far this season.
    Full-back Eros Pisano (knee), striker Milan Djuric (groin) and midfielder Gary O'Neil (knee) remain out for the Robins, unbeaten in eight league games.
    SAM's prediction
    Home win - 33% Draw - 28% Away win - 39% Very seldom does it get it right .. BCRW its not the BBC, SOME LIVERPOOL UNI

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol:
    "We have proved that our game is effective and is difficult to play against.
    "We know we will get opportunities to score, because we generally do.
    "There is a good chance that we'll go in with the same squad [as Tuesday] except for Marlon Pack who is suspended."
    Match facts
    Ipswich haven't lost at home to Bristol City in any competition since September 1978, winning eight and drawing four games since then.

The Robins have only beaten Ipswich away from home in the second tier once before - a 3-1 win in April 1960 with a brace coming from John Atyeo.

Mick McCarthy hasn't lost a home match against Bristol City since April 1992, when he was manager of Millwall - it was McCarthy's first home defeat as a manager, with Leroy Rosenior scoring a brace and Andy Cole the other goal in a 3-2 win for the Robins.

Bristol City are the only side yet to lose when they've conceded the first goal in the Championship this season, drawing at Wolves and beating Derby.

After a run of five consecutive league draws at Portman Road, none of Ipswich's last eight home league games have ended level (W6 L2).

The Robins are unbeaten in their last eight league games - their longest run in the second tier since a run of eight in April 2012.

BIT of colour for ROD! could be a bit of WTSC this game ! a DRAW would lok the best result to everyones "history" intact ...........

15. johngalleyfan2

Ipswich Town: Bialkowski, Spence, Iorfa, Chambers, Knudsen, Adeyemi, Skuse, Celina, Garner, Waghorn, McGoldrick. Subs: Gerkin, Webster, Connolly, Ward, Sears, Nydam, Kenlock.

Bristol City: Fielding, Wright, Flint, Baker, Bryan, O'Dowda, K.Smith, Brownhill, Paterson, Reid, Diédhiou. Subs: Steele, Magnusson, Hegeler, Eliasson, Leko, Taylor, Woodrow.

16. johngalleyfan2

Having extended their unbeaten run to ten in all competitions, Lee Johnson’s side will travel to Portman Road in confident spirits, looking for their first win in Suffolk since 1978.
    Meanwhile, Mick McCarthy’s team have dropped just three points at home this term, and fresh off the back of a 5-2 win over Sunderland in midweek, they will prove a tough outfit to crack.

Here’s a look at tomorrow’s opponents.
    FACTFILE
    Formed: 1878
    Nickname: The Tractor Boys
    Twitter: Official_ITFC
    Ground: Portman Road
    Capacity: 30,311

Honours
    Football League Champions
    1961/62
    Football League First Division 1999/2000
    Football League Second Division 1960/61, 1967/68, 1991/92
    FA Cup 1977/78
    UEFA Cup 1980/81

Last season
    League finish:
    16th
    FA Cup: Third round, lost to Lincoln City
    EFL Cup: First round, lost to Stevenage
    Top scorer: Tom Lawrence, nine goals
    Average attendance: 16,981
    HOW DID THEY GET HERE?
    The Tractor Boys endured a frustrating season last term, finishing a place ahead of City in 16th, four points above the dreaded drop.

17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

19. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

That'll do

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker