1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town vs Sunderland

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Aug 8, 2019.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Decent first half, referee is a waste of space though.
    Keep playing like this and we'll do alright in this league

2. Fat Boy Slim

Fat Boy Slim Member

We need to start putting more of these chances away and kill games off.

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Chambers with the big **** up.
    I have no idea why he tried to let the ball run out instead of clearing it, stupid!

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Judge has been poor so far, we miss Garbutt on that side.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

The team selection madness continues. Doing so many things right but then a lack of any common sense biting us on the bum.

Last season was a season too many for Chambo nevermind this.

6. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I would have taken judge off, bloody awful but tbh I have never rated him!

San Diego likes this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Had a purple patch to win his contract and that was about it. He’s a capable player but he’s on the take.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Bollocks.
    We should have won that game if it wasn't for Chambers' mistake.

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Poor subs today.
    Judge was crap at set pieces and negative with the ball. I thought we should've replaced Rowe with El Mizouni and not Dozzell but I also thought it wouldn't have been a bad thing to sub Judge.

Spanish likes this.
  10. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

to be honest, it had draw written all over this, with there results last year. still 4 points is OK :)

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Hmm,missed opportunities to kill that game off, poor subs, and as others say, pse let Chambo hang his boots up, time honourably served and stop mucking our defense about.

Still not a bad start, top 6, as I have predicted. But could have been, should have been top 2 autos.

It will be good to see a full team with no injuries out on the park, one day.

12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Gutted with that,we should have finished them off in the first half.Someone please buy Chambers a seat in row Z so he knows where it is for the ,inevitable, next time!

13. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Frustrating result, as we should have had all three points. Wolfenden and Downes looked good and very comfortable on the ball. Stupid mistake from Chambers, which isn’t encouraging as he’s been making a habit of lapses in concentration and making gaffes.

On a more general point, there appeared to be a lack of urgency. We still look incapable of starting and finishing effective moves with the ball on the ground. Our general plan seemed to be to hoof it up to the front two, which didn’t work. Yet we persisted. We also attempted to run the clock down as soon as we took the lead. How many minutes did we waste when it came to throw ins? Didn’t contribute to the spectacle, as it was a fairly dull match in all honesty.

Donacien had a pretty poor game, in my opinion, and Sunderland targeted that flank in the second half. I thought Kenlock had a better game, thankfully. Jackson pretty poor, clearly still hasn’t got his confidence back. The substitutes, Alan Judge in particular, were also very ineffective.

14. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

We totally dominated the first half but in spite of pressure we didn't carry a serious goal threat after Garbutt scored, Sunderland had a bit more of the play in the second half but their goal was the only serious on target chance they had all game.
    A swirling wind made things difficult with many crosses going long with Judge hitting 3 in a row straight out, Norwood battled away and it seems he only has to score one and he could be prolific, Jackson however doesn't appear to bring anything to the game and I can't help wondering why he's there.
    The defence seemed reasonably sound but for Chambers horrendous error so all in all not a bad 2nd game of the season with the promise of improvement when we get some of the injured players back, but that lack of goal threat is a worry.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  15. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Just back from the fame &agree with most of the above. I also thought Skuse was excellent today. With Downes, dozzell & Hews among others, we are well covered in cm. however, the wide areas worry me. I know it’s early but Rowe doesn’t appear to be a 90 mins player. Judge has never been a wide player but he was particularly poor with his distribution today. Norwood & Jackson will be a handful at this level and that leaves the defence. Wolfy is a class apart. Kenlock looks better at this level but still looks lightweight to me. Donacien did ok but a bit slow in pushing up the field to link with Rowe & as for Chambers...words fail me. All he had to do was hoof it in to the Sunderland fans but he tried to be clever. Once nsiala is back fit, he must come in unless we bring in a new cb.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  16. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Agreed RB, there's a lot more right than there is wrong and I've no doubt the subs upset our balance, Judge was dreadful, but Dozzell and Roberts didn't get much of a chance, personally I would like to have seen Huws, come on and pick up where he left off last week, but its the second game of a long season so we have time to iron out faults, I'm still not convinced about Holy and although he had little to do there was a few flaps at the ball, we shall see.

17. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

What a sickener. Captain Calamity cost us 2 points yet again!

He should be sent off to the knackers yard as he's not fit for purpose.

18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Agreed up to a point on Jackson, but our biggest crime last season was playing an isolated striker and the second biggest was chopping and changing week on week when we didn’t get an immediate result from something.

If there’s any point him being at the club at all then Jackson needs a run in the side. Norwood hasn’t netted either yet and really that’s the statistic that matters. Two games is too few. A decent run of between 5 - 10 matches should be enough for him to bed in and find a flow.

But we’re not helping the strikers by not having the options to compete to stake their claim, come in off the bench and make a difference and this is where Marcus Evans’ statement the other day just doesn’t wash. Severely lacking in options there so I don’t see what else we can do at the moment but back Jackson and Norwood at least through to Sears’ return to action.

19. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Listening to Mick Mills on Suffolk after the game and he made the point that Judge needs to be played in the middle just behind the front 2 in the old Eric Gates role for him to be truly effective. He was being played out wide which doesn't suit his game. The jury (pardon the pun) is still very much out on him but he needs to be played in the position where he can do most damage to the opposition. It's surely not rocket science! I thought Jackson and Norwood looked good but were starved of any real decent service. On the plus side Skuse was immense and was everywhere. He did all the tidying up and nothing got past him. No one better at what he does in this league. The game you have to say was defined by captain calamity! Up to that point Sunderland had no goal threat and we were cruising even at 1-0. Lambert really has to make the hard headed desicion to drop him and give someone else the chance. Make Skuse captain. There is no room for sentiment as our number one aim is to get promotion and you can't achieve that if you have a player who's consistent errors lead to us dropping points!