1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town Vs Shrewsbury Town

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Aug 29, 2019.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Dare I say it, the way Downes arrived in the box to take his goal reminded me of a certain moustached player...

2. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I thought he was outstanding yesterday,just the right combination of drive and energy to complement Skuse allowing him to pick forward passes for a change.

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

If he turns out to be even half the player Sir Johnny was then he will be a superb player. Definitely shades of the great man yesterday. I'm sure Johnny will have been mightily impressed with that goal.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Johnny Wark was getting on the beers Saturday night, down the Gladstone Arms. I should have asked him!

5. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Hey Good Lad! <cheers>

According to TWTD is was very proud! <ok>

6. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Fully fit bish, huws and downes... like three sound of that midfield three, all at a good age to play together for years and take us up a level

7. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

You guys! so much unabashed optimism! A few threads ago there was big ?? in the 'no way to run a football club thread' so look, As Harvey Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction said when Samuel Jackson and Travolta were slapping each others backs; 'Lets not start sucking each others dicks too soon!"

One bad injury to Norwood and i still think were in deep doo daa. Our defence is still shaky despite the relief in pressure an decent attacking right back brings with it and better teams will look to pull us apart back there. Shrewsby had a few really good chances and they really arent that great at all. so i think cautious optimism for now.

Seeing the homegrown players coming in is great but i'll be relieved when the injured guys come back and add some depth and extra dimension to our play so they can develop at this level without the pressure of being the only options.

I think Yorkie is right, we have to hope for additions in Jan, hopefully in defence they are looking at who they want now plus any decent striker we can get. You never know, Will Keane might be fit and firing which will obviously be great as he's well above this level in pure technical terms but counting on him isn't something any club has ben able to do yet...

however, there was something about that match that i haven't seen in a ITFC side for quite a few years now. 3 goals obviously! but some play and movement on the deck that was like the teams of old...

8. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

That's a good shout Bucky, there was series of crosses in the first half that flew or even bounced across our area, luckily for us there was no one there for a tap in but I always thought that part of a F Bs job was to stop crosses coming in ? I'm sure there are Clubs which haven't got going yet that will be a threat as well as Sunderland, Peterborough, etc so we really need an experienced L B to replace Kenlock who is a worry whereas K V Y looks decent albeit early days.

Buckyohare and Nuggets like this.
  9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I’m still slightly pessimistic, Bucky, don’t worry! While I appreciate that we’re unbeaten and playing some good stuff (in spells), we still don’t look like having a clear on-pitch identity and I think we’re mainly winning games by the simple virtue of having better players. I still have concerns about the ownership and wider running of the club, although some good progress has been made over recent months in re-engaging with the local community. I cannot quite shake the feeling that this squad, as good as it’s been in League One so far, may not be cut out for the Championship. But then momentum is a wonderful weapon in football.

I think it’s evident that we need to continue developing the patterns of play that are becoming more obvious in our game - and thereby making our attacks more effective and incisive. As we’ve pointed out in the thread, this was particularly noticeable in the victory over Shrewsbury. A good system of attacking teams is something that has largely eluded us over the past few years, where we were previously dependant on one or two big names making the difference (see Lawrence and Waghorn) and witnessing the mess of a side last season that couldn’t create or score goals to anywhere near the required level.

But putting aside some of these concerns, we’re obviously in good form, playing fairly well, and looking like a strong contender for the top six – which is not something associated with Town over the past decade and a half. Naturally, we’re going to get swept up in the good form and atmosphere – it’s actually fun going to Portman Road these days! I think perhaps some of us, including me, have perhaps overestimated the quality in League One. Although it could be that competitors are finding their way and will develop into better teams over the next few months (hopefully that also applies to us). I don’t think it’ll be a cakewalk in this division, but if we don’t achieve promotion with this squad, then we’ve blown a great opportunity to get back into the Championship.

10. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Agreed nuggets, I don't think we are " right " yet but it's getting closer and hopefully when players ie Sears and Bishop return we will be stronger still over the 8 months or so remaining in this season.
    As for Evans, while I'm pleased he at last put some investment in the Club the cynic in me thinks it was only because he suddenly realised we are now one relegation from hovering above non league football and therefore a worthless company called ITFC, we shall see if it continues.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

This is an interesting one.

Remember how season after season we didn't have a dedicated right back and / or left back and when we did it was fleeting?

We can trace that all the way back to Keane using Peters and Edwards and all the way through to McCarthy playing centre backs in those positions.

Kenlock may not be the strongest defensively now but at least if he plays there every week he might learn from his mistakes. Lambert has done a superb job of plugging the gaps in the side over the summer, we may still be short in a couple of areas but playing Kenlock there at the moment is preferable to playing someone else out of position or changing it around all the time.

itfcptc likes this.
  12. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

We are top with good point haul and good scoring record we really have nothing to moan about and every reason to be optimistic.....football fans often overanalyse things and miss the enjoyment of a season.....so I say enjoy it and hope it continues.

On a side note Evans gets no credit from me for any glory we receive.

fieldmarshall and Bigalreigned like this.
  13. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Agree with all the points for me all the credit must go to Lambert for our good start and even if people think we have a squad which should be top 2 there have been numerous things which Lambert has had to contend with which certainly hasn't made it easy.

Agree with Bucky though, despite the decent squad we are only an injury away from a key player in a number of positions from struggling IMO. And that's not because of lacking quality but more lacking match fit players or players with experience to bring in

14. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Fully agree with you,Topbunk.After the misery of last Season and the tedium that preceded it I’m really enjoying us scoring more freely,keeping clean sheets and winning !

15. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

There’s also a feel good feeling around the town. I don’t live in Ipswich but travel for Saturday home games and it just seems a happier place. I think no matter what division you play in, if you play attacking football, people will enjoy coming along to watch. Long may it continue