1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town Vs Shrewsbury Town

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Aug 29, 2019.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

A decent first half that started with a quick goal that set us up to dominate the ball and pull Shrewsbury about.
    I'm enjoying football a lot more now than last season, we're scoring goals and winning games and we can still get better!

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Haha!

3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Get in!!

Flying header from Flynn Downes

4. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

What a goal! 3 -0.

Oh, I rather wish I was there!

5. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Top of the League and the Budgies lost again <cheers>

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  6. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

And less full of ****......

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Nice, I'll take that.

A good first half, a tepid second half, especially after Jackson went off but a professional performance and job done.

Well done lads <applause>

Southcoastoldgaffer and TopBunk like this.
  8. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

Nicely done lads , a poor team well dispatched. Onwards...Operation promited Out of Here At all Costs is on...

9. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Very professional performance all round.Downes MoM?Vincent Young looks a good acquisition.

Let’s hope we can keep up this momentum.

And with the Budgies slipping into the drop zone it has to be:

10. johnnywarksmoustache

Not sure why we went for the postponement next week. We have got the momentum behind us and our squad is strong enough to beat Rochdale.

11. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I've slated Jackson in the past but today he took his goal perfectly, it was an acute angle and he lashed it in the net and even allowing for the standard of keepers in this division not being what we are used to seeing it was impressive.
    A good performance not a great one and I still think we are not quite right, Kenlock is a worry for me, and Holy looks ponderous but that could be his size making him look slow and clean sheets are what matters.
    We are now starting to see players come back from injury and others getting nearer including Garbutt so the side should get stronger over the coming weeks which is encouraging as the season progresses.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We'll have an extra game to play later in the season and we'll lose our top spot. Made no sense at all to me either.

13. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

All I can think of is that in a long season we need to take breaks when we can get them.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  14. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

3-0 was very flattering to us today but a win is a win. Front 2 are forming a decent partnership- no clue why we put a midfielder on for Jackson. He might need a rest but bring an attacking player on, 4-5-1 does not work for us. My biggest worry is still Kenlock, I don’t think he’s physically strong enough in the challenge and we have no direct cover for him. Garbutt is more a left midfielder and KVY is a right back. Once again I was impressed with Skuse at this level and Chambers also had a good game (think he benefited from being up against a striker with the turning circle of an aircraft carrier). Very happy with our points haul for August, long may it continue

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I too am puzzled by the postponement. How many are on international duty? We have a good circulation of players now and a few coming back, so why stop the momentum, risking a confident start, top spot and putting pressure on us to regroup in 14 days and play catch up.

Wrong call imo.

16. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Holy made three very good saves today but we rode our luck a little defensively.

Also agree that I can’t see the point of postponement.

17. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

What a great start to the season and what a great feeling about the situation, playing good football, fans coming back and creating a great atmosphere, with some good academy players getting in the team and some good lower league signings.

Whilst many will say we have a squad who should be in the top 2 of this division, I say it's not any where near as simple as that and Lambert deserves a huge amount of credit for the start we've had.

We've had a huge injury list, not just small ones either long term injuries many of whom once they get back to some sort of fitness break down again. We've had only 2 fit strikers all season both who were signed on 1 good season at league 2 level. The rest of the team is generally made up of academy players none of whom have played first team football for a full season and the rest lack experience at this level let alone higher.

This all comes from a team who had been in terrible form for over a season and a half, won 4 games all of last season, losing over 15 first team players and only making 1 signing with a fee of 500k.

This team has 'potential and quality but many of them haven't proved it yet at this level or consistently at first team level yet. I think Lambert deserves alot of credit for guiding these players to the start they've had and in the 'Ipswich Town' way.

I always said 10 years ago when we appointed Keane and Norwich appointed Lambert those decisions have had the biggest impact on both clubs trajectorys over the next year's and we should have appointed Lambert then. Let's just hope Lambert can do to us what he did with Norwich only 10 years too late.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  18. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Looks like we've finally found our level..
    The youngsters are now maturing, and hopefully will benefit us in three years to come.
    Surely, if we go up, it will be chambers and skuse's last season as first teamers

19. johnnywarksmoustache

Thank you. Paul Lambert for giving us back our football club. I saw the pictures of the banners in the Bobby Robson stand before the game and I know just how much it means to PL to be one of us! We would never would have done anything like that for MM only with insults! My son went yet ready and he is just buzzing about the atmosphere at PR these days. The brand if football PL is now getting us to play is a joy to watch. Yes it's very early days and we didn't get out of third gear yesterday but the point is that if Shrewsbury had upped their levels our team would have responded.

We have the best squad in this division man for man and so long as we can stay clear of anymore serious injuries then I see no reason why we won't bounce back to the Championship at the first time of asking. Great credit to PL for turning our football club around. He will in years to come be another in the pantheon of Town legends. Paul Lambert is a Blue he hates Norwich! As the song goes.

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

The difference is the formation and Norwood, KVY and Woolfy.

KVY looks the real deal.

Credit to Lambert for pulling off these transfers with bare bones support from the owner.

Let’s make no mistake, a Championship goalkeeper would be saving Jackson’s goal yesterday but we now have a solid foundation to build on and the quality of our play on the break is the most pleasing aspect.

The owner must back the manager in January and add a couple of quality players in each window. That’s how we must be approaching it now rather than the revolving door policy of the first decade.