1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC - must win?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Jan 23, 2023.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

After a tentative first 10 minutes Clarke looks superb. Imagine having him and Burns running at you

Southcoastoldgaffer and Spanish like this.
  2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

An emphatic first half. Brilliant play against obliging opponents.

Spanish and itfcptc like this.
  3. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

It's just great to have someone like Clark that wants to bomb on and score, so much better than JD and no more waiting 5 minutes for him to take a bloody throw in!!

Nuggets and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  4. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Perhaps the most complete half performance I have seen in years.

Everyone playing their part, oozing confidence and Edmunson & Keogh very assured presence.

I am sorry Aluko has vansihed, such a talent. Maybe he is ill.

San Diego and Nuggets like this.
  5. Nuggets

Exactly the type of result and performance we needed after the last few games. The new signings Clarke and Broadhead looked brilliant on the ball. Credit to Ladapo for scoring twice, his second goal was a classy finish and maybe the extra competition was what he needed to step up a level.

6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Let's keep this momentum up now,must admit I was worried when I saw our CB pairing but all round great first half.

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I suppose some of the lads got a bit too comfortable and complacent or maybe even just tired.

8. Nuggets

I think that’s a fair assessment. Although I rate him, Donacien will struggle to get back into the first eleven if Clarke turns in last night’s performance on a regular basis. Edmundson looked much more reliable on the ball than Burgess. Broadhead seems to be an upgrade on Harness.

Only one match - and Morecambe didn’t look up for pressing us at all - but hopefully we can build on this result with a good performance against Championship leaders, Burnley in the cup.

9. Bigalreigned

Early days,but both the new guys look a big improvement on what we already have.There has to be a benefit in acquiring young talent from Premiership Clubs.Quality rather than quantity at last.

10. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I like the Donacien / Burns combination but if Harry Clarke continues to play like he did v Morecambe then Janoi will be warming the bench for a long time, ok Morecambe werent the sternest of tests but Christ did Clarke play well up and down the right hand side, weve got to take this momentum to Cambridge and on to the rest of the season to get out of this lousy division.

11. itfcptc

That's exactly what I thought in regards to Clarke, given how well Donacien has performed the past couple of seasons that might be a tough one to swallow. Although I also understand he can play where Burns does, so may also serve as competition there. The poor defenders last night down that side were run ragged first half. Also poses the question is that curtains for KVY who I've actually been quite impressed with this season when he's played especially in the wing back role, in fact last night I was thinking I actually prefer him than Jackson in that role, I feel Jackson is too light weight, KVY offers more of a physical presence and doesn't lose the ball as much.

I think there's not too much between all the CBs and Burgess has been playing pretty well recently and last night the CBs weren't really challenged at all.

I know the game was already won and not much was happening second half but the subs that came on didn't really add anything meaningful to the game infact particularly Harness and Jackson nearly lost the ball every time they got it. I think Harness is a good player but I'm not sure he's suited to a 10, his ball retention in that area is very poor. What he is good at is popping up late in the box and his workrate off the ball defensively is great. I'm surprised given the players we have at our disposal that Jackson is still getting in the side. Yesterday even Humpreys gave the ball away a few times which is unlike him. I thought the only player who came on and offered something positive was Edwards, we don't really have anyone else like him and think he could be used more frequently, he's probably our best carrier of the ball.

Agree with your point in regards to Morecambe, they made it easy for us. It's like they hadn't watched the games before that we'd played, basically sit deep and play high balls into our box, they were just so open and we have the quality to rip teams apart.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  12. Bigalreigned

Agree,especially regards Jackson,his days have got to be numbered.

Spanish and itfcptc like this.
  13. itfcptc

Our most expensive player and the current top appearance player out of our squad

14. itfcptc

I thought Broadhead looked decent but most of our play was going down that right hand side. Again couldn't really figure out what type of player he is yet, my instinct tells me he's more of a central striker

15. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Agreed too, he has not offered much for some time now. I believe it is high time that KM sticks to his preferred 11 more or less and stops the chopping & changing.

That 1st half show was scintillating.

itfcptc likes this.
  16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Just got to watch the replay as it wasn't posted on iFollow last night when I wanted to watch it.

A great first half, Ladapo had a fire in him I haven't seen often enough and his hold up play was top drawer. Broadhead was involved early and frequently and looks a handful and Clarke was very good down the right. You can see he used to be a striker just by how he moves and especially by how he struck the shot he had.

I thought Keogh was excellent and Edmundson was solid. I agree with somebody else's comment that the new competition for places has upped the game of the players that were already here.

Our owners are investing, making good decisions on transfers, and making sure that the team is moving forward in a good direction. Morecambe weren't great but some of our play was a real joy to watch and that was a statement performance that told other teams that we are a side to be wary of.

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

He’s had more than enough chances. So far Ladapo is actually taking his.