1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Nuggets, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Following a hard-fought, but fortunate 2-2 draw at Peterborough United, tomorrow night’s home match against AFC Wimbledon looks a lot easier on paper. After all, a struggling side that only has one point in three league games - and only avoided relegation last season by goal difference – looks a more welcoming prospect than Sunderland and Peterborough. Further promise for Town comes by the fact that the Dons’ only point of campaign, acquired last match, was down to them blowing a 1-0 lead against a 10-men Accrington Stanley side.

So tomorrow night will provide an interesting first look at whether we can take the initiative in home games when we come up against a difficult, defensive, and direct ‘little name’ team. With home games against the likes of Shrewsbury and Tranmere coming up over the next month, these are matches where we need to have enough about us to break down teams coming to Portman Road and happy to play for a point. Wally Downes’ Dons side won’t win plaudits for their style of play, but considering they were considered dead certs for relegation when Downes came in mid-way through the season, their late season recovery was a surprise to many in this division. They shouldn’t be underestimated.

Based on our first three league matches, a struggling display against Peterborough was arguably bettered by a dominant, but misfiring, draw at home to Sunderland and a fortunate, scrappy 1-0 away win at Burton. Clearly, if we’re going to be consistent promotion contenders, we need to eradicate the impression that we have one or two key defensive mistakes in us per game. Another early concern is our lack of clear on-pitch strategy and patterns of play. Lambert appears content to set us up in two banks of four, hit long balls up to the two strikers, and hope we win games by having the better players, on paper. We may struggle to break down teams by continuing with this approach.

With Kane Vincent-Young in through the door, and it arguably being too soon to throw him into first-team football, the team will likely look like what we’ve fielded before. Not that I’d agree with that. Regarding the score, this looks like it should be a comfortable home win – although nothing would surprise me with this lot. I’ll opt for a cagey 2-0 win. As for the starting eleven, we probably won’t see it, but I’d opt for an attacking:

Holy
    KVY / Chambers / Wolfenden / Kenlock
    Downes / Huws
    Rowe / Judge / Edwards
    Norwood

fieldmarshall likes this.
  2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Great opportunity for Jackson to get off the mark and for Vincent-Young to bed in.

Much like Salford and Forest Green, this is a club with an upward trajectory and we can expect the Dons to keep progressing gradually through the divisions. I think they will consolidate in this division this season with a mid-table finish. We should not expect any club to roll over for us - most of the players will be relishing coming to Portman Road and up their game.

I don't think it will be pretty, but I think we'll win 2-1.

3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

As Wimbledon are my 2nd team, i do know a little about them.

They have the same battling qualities of Wimbledon of old, and will look to get in our faces and disrupt our game. I know i'm probably stating the obvious, but if they score first, it will be tough to turn around. But, on the other hand, if we can get an early(ish) goal, we could comfortably score 4/5 goals against them.

They have two ex-Town players in their squad, Trotter and Wordsworth, although neither have played yet this season.

Wagstaff is their midfield maestro, and Pigott is their main striker - both will prove a handful.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and go for a comfortable 4-1 win (hat trick for Lord Norwood and Rowe with his first for the club)

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Trotter went to the US to play for Orange County in the second tier. What a long way to fall from his early time at Town.

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

3-1 Town, coyb.

6. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

2 banks of 4 and hit it long without a strategy... Wasn't the point of sacking McCarthy to get away from that. How depressing.

This game marks the pivot point of our season. Don't win this and it will be the same old story, just a division lower. Win, and the relatively promising start can start gathering momentum.

Like to think we can get a comfortable 2-0. I fear a 1-1 or worse and the "we will take the positives" gets rolled out again.

Sadly the 1-1 option feels far more like Ipswich.

7. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Don't suppose he'll mind too much. American climate, still a comfortable salary (I'd imagine) for playing football.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I'll go for a 2-0 win

9. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

“Rock n Roll football” apparently...

I hope we get it on the deck pretty soon as we have some technique in the midfield that was missing in the mm years after all and hoofing it long diesntfill me with hope we’re trying to turn this club around.

I’ll go 2-0. Hope Kane starts he’s played twice fir Colchester so get him out there and pushing forward to support the attack!

10. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

8-2 Town

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

There's my optimistic soulmate Spanish! <cheers>

3-1 Town and our spirits rise.

12. stretchyboy

You lot may laugh at spanish...but there will be bucket loads of goals tonight..I can feel it in my bladder, changing my prediction and going for 6-2

13. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Looks like we’re going for 4-3-3 and El Mizouni and Rowe on the flanks. No Chambers, no Kane Vincent-Young, no Judge, and no Jackson. Nice looking shake up and hopefully we can get a good performance and result tonight.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  14. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Yay No Chambers <cheers> That's at least 1 goal saved.

15. stretchyboy

Donacien and Kenlock..that's at least one conceded

Buckyohare likes this.
  16. johnnywarksmoustache

You always have to put a dampener on things! <laugh>

17. Southcoastoldgaffer

Stretchy, I rather not feel it in your bladder if you dont mind! :emoticon-0116-evilg

18. johnnywarksmoustache

My eldest Son has driven all the way up from Brighton tonight to watch the game so come on Town do it for him! And us!

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  19. Southcoastoldgaffer

I hope Huws comes on soon for a much needed cameo performance, and begins to get back to his old self.

COYBs

20. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ipswich!