1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town v Sunderland - Tuesday 26th January - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Jan 25, 2021.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Jan 26, 2021.
  1. Ipswich win

10.0%
  2. Sunderland win

62.9%
  3. Draw

27.1%
  1. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Quick highlights

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Not for me - Power is doing "OK" at RB (which I think might make us think he's found his position!) but no more than OK (Which is a million times better than he was in midfield - I actually thought he was poor last night personally positionally and, other than his cross for the goal, on the ball). We need energy in midfield and that's lacking - he made such a difference coming on last night in the 10 role. Good in the air and on the ground I think he's perfect for that. I also think he's exactly the type of player the LJ wants. Complete 100% for 90+ minutes every game. Runs until he can;t walk and would fo through a brick wall for you.

He also looks "bigger" than before he got injured!!

I think he's one of our best players personally

3. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

I think onein will be one of the first names on Johnson's team sheet and he will play him in midfield. Need his contract sorting out though.

4. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Hope so. Think you're exactly right and he's the perfect player for Johnson. He'd easily get box to box in midfield for the whole game so no issues with him being in there. But as a 10 he could also be a perfect foil and press from the front

Draig, Nacho and Oliver's Army like this.
  5. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Him and Gooch in advanced positions will fit the bill of pressing from the front, backed up by Winchester when he settles in.

6. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

7. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board <cheers>

Smug in Boots, Comfy and Saf like this.
  8. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Sanderson needs to be starting ahead of Power, it’s starting to get on my tits a bit as he’s clearly a better player than league one. I don’t care if Power got an assist either, he should be a squad player at most.

9. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Sanderson was awful at RB last time he played there. Looked good at CB but I prefer Willis and Wright at Centre Half. Sanderson's decision making and passing were poor. Didn't look like he wanted to be there at all. Then moved inside when Willis got injured and he looked much better.

Also, as has been said before, I'm pretty sure Wolves loaned him on the provision that we' play him at CB. Whilst they can't dictate necessity, if we have players capable and we don't play him there, I'm not sure what they might be able to do (No idea on the laws of something like this tbh!)

10. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

He wasn’t awful though was he. He’s twice the player of Power who I’m judging him against. I agree he shouldn’t be played central ahead of Wright and Willis.

Makemstine Roger likes this.

11. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

A choice from those available could be Burge in goal, Sanderson Wright and Willis back three with O/9 and Hume in as wing backs, sort out a midfield three from Diamond, Scowen, Grant, Winchester, Neil, and Embleton and have Wyke and AoB up front. Play the slow and the selfish later to see the game out.

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

What do you think Power has done badly at RB, specifically? And what has Sanderson showed so far at RB to recommend him there?

13. Wolfy

Wolfy Well-Known Member

Power is an average player nothing more. Sanderson played well regularly at right back in the championship last season for Cardiff who have tried to sign him twice since. He’s looked solid enough for me when he has played and has pace which is something we lack. That’s enough for me.

14. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Power's looked solid enough for me there and what he lacks in pace he's made up for in attacking quality. Could Sanderson have put that cross on a plate for Wyke? Maybe, maybe not, from what I've seen he looks more like a big, relatively mobile CB than a RB or WB.

15. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

TBH I am not bothered about RB, we have 09, Power and Sanderson who can cover it and do an okay job. LB on the other hand, until Hume gets fit, Macfadzeans is really the only LB, Ww need to bring in cover.

clockstander likes this.
  16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He only played in 10 games for Cardiff btw, no idea what position but not the star RB I've been lead to believe.

NC Sanddancer likes this.
  17. clockstander

I like Powers attitude, but am not sure about his attacking quality tbh., some of his passing over distance is one of our worst features and borders on the embarrassing, love the lad but like Grant he is not getting any younger or quicker, and pace is what we need going forward imo. Great subs to have though mixed in with a bit of variation on the bench

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have him there in the championship like but I haven't seen anything so far to make me think he won't be fine there for the rest of the season, he's done a better job than McFadzean on the other side and he should get better over time when he learns the position. I think he's only about 27 so not in the same bracket as old man Grant.

clockstander likes this.
  19. clockstander

All good points mate, and I am happy to see him in there for the time being, Power is a lot better linking up with Diamond imo who's pace is an invaluable, and they combine well ( Lincoln away outstanding) and personally I hope, and think, we will see more of them sooner, rather than later as LJ looks for a settled side. OaU

Makemstine Roger, Robertson and Nacho like this.
  20. clockstander

On Sanderson, watching him play I wonder if there is a sweeper in there or even a replacement for Leads, I like the fact that he always looks to go forward when he gets the ball and like Conner Mc. looks much more comfortable in a central role than on the right.

FellTop, Robertson and rowley like this.