1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

International Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

2. Cyclonic

SwanHills likes this.
  3. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Arrogate Wins 2017 Pegasus World Cup at Gulfstream Park:

Think California Chrome should be retired now?

Those Yankee commentators really grab me...........<laugh>

Cyclonic likes this.
  4. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Prix d'Amerique from Vincennes live on ATR. Reminds me of a few very enjoyable evenings with my Mum at this special place in Paris.

5. SwanHills

Here's video clip, without commentary, of the 2017 renewal of the Prix d'Amerique. Bold Eagle for the second year running. No.17 colours red, black trim, with yellow cap. These trotters really do go at one hell of a clip. What a finishing spurt by the winner:

Cyclonic likes this.
  6. Cyclonic

I tell ya' Swanny, I don't think there's a better or more exciting horse race on the planet than the Prix d'Amerique. The tactics are amazing and the pace is deadly. I counted five lead changes before Bold Eagle fit the front. What an amazing horse, a real chip off the old block. His dad Ready Cash was outstanding, and to be honest I didn't think I'd see another as good as him again, but maybe Bold Eagle is his equal, and in the eyes of some, maybe better. Thanks for the clip Swanny. I have to admit to feeling sorry for the driver of the second horse Belina Josselyn. When he went for home he had a peep over his shoulder and saw Bold Eagle hunting him down. His heart must have sunk. She ran a great race.<cheers>

SwanHills likes this.
  7. SwanHills

Just about can remember that race as a youngster. Love those Pathé accounts of the old classics, and the 'Dick Barton - Special Agent' type accompanying music too. Edgar Britt was a superb jockey and very popular in the UK. Very happy to hear he reached such a fantastic age.
    R.I.P. Edgar, you were one of the very best! <peacedove>

(Cyc, this is the first message on my new computer, which was a Christmas gift from my daughter and son-in-law, (yes, 2016 Christmas! <laugh>). It came with Windows 7 installed, with two discs from Toshiba to upgrade to Windows 10. The discs were useless, Toshiba service centre guys up in Neuss were very courteous and friendly, but just hopeless with their hifalutin advice, why I don't know. Nothing worked and I was beginning to despair (should have asked Ron or QMII, silly me). Anyway, last Saturday I simply stumbled on the solution, right from Microsoft themselves. 'Download here' button, click, and bob's your flipping uncle! Took over 2-hours, completely automatic, lots of re-starts and whatnot, but smooth as silk. I honestly did search before, but must have used the wrong wording when googling. <doh> <doh>. It's all worth it, machine is brilliant. Just blew my mind at the end when this bloody great beautiful screen picture came-up greeting me by name! :emoticon-0100-smile).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Cyclonic likes this.
  8. Cyclonic

I'm glad it all turned out ok in the end Swanny. I'm scared witless when it comes to that kind of stuff, so anytime we need a new anything, I get a mate over to sort it, all it costs is a dinner. :)

SwanHills likes this.
  9. Cyclonic

Yesterday at Sha Tin we saw the latest renewal of the HK $10,000,000, G1 Steward's Cup run over the metric mile. It turned out to be a John Moore clean sweep of the placings. Helene Paragon won the race, but the champ Able Friend ran into a heap of trouble down the straight and was most unlucky.

http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/hongkong/default.aspx?id=93976

SwanHills likes this.
  10. Cyclonic

They certainly love a punt in Hong Kong. According to Thoroughbred News, the reported betting turnover for the Chinese New Year Raceday, set a record at HK$1,759 billion. Staggering stuff.

11. SwanHills

Do you know, we have a computer shop a stone's throw from here. Went to see them, and they calmly said "we charge by the hour, and can give you no guarantee on this upgrade being successful", or words to that effect. Holy Mackeral, I really thought I was in trouble then. Anyway, all's well that end's well! :emoticon-0100-smile

P.S. Would gladly have bought Ron and QMII a dinner! <laugh>

Cyclonic likes this.
  12. Cyclonic

What do 606ers think of France's plans to give women riders a 4 lb allowance in races? Listed and Group races exempted.

13. Cyclonic

Why is it that the two G2 races at Newbury today can only draw 7 runners between them?

14. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

As regards the Game Spirit Chase Cyc, the 2 mile chase division remains very weak with few top class animals. Allied to that you have had the Tied Cottage chase in Ireland last weekend and the Clarence House Chase 2 weeks ago at Cheltenham (normally 3 weeks ago at Ascot but moved for weather), so plenty of choice for connections. Similar story with the Denman Chase - you had the Cotswold Chase 2 weeks ago at Cheltenham (RIP Many Clouds) and tomorrow the Irish Gold Cup at Leopardstown. Plus many trainers will be aiming their charges at Cheltenham and prefer to send them there fresh.

Cyclonic likes this.
  15. Cyclonic

The Saeed bin Suroor trained colt Thunder Snow has just made off with the G3 UAE Guineas in impressive fashion. After finishing off his 2016 season with a win in the G1 Criterium International at Saint-Cloud last October, he re-emerged under the care of Christophe Soumillon who rode the horse a treat. Has he come back a bigger and better prospect?

16. Cyclonic

Charlie Appleby and "Billy" Buick combined to snatch a win on the same program. No6 Comicas in the blue with white cap.

17. Cyclonic

The mighty Winx, winner of 9 G1 wins, is about to open her campaign after that sensational Cox Plate win.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  18. Cyclonic

And it looks like Doug O'Neill might have a decent 3yo for the second year in a row. After guiding Nyquist to the 2016 Kentucky Derby win, he hopes to have another serious crack at this year's classic with Iliad, the winner of the G2 San Vicente over the 7 furlong trip at Santa Anita. He stopped the clock in a hands 1:21: 62. He's No 5 and in the Blue and Red & White.

19. Cyclonic

A big grey filly has burst onto the scene in the USA this season. After finishing second at her first start last June, Unique Bella put a couple of wins together before stepping out a week ago in the G2 Las Virgenes over the mile at Santa Anita.

20. Cyclonic

Today in Melbourne, the first leg of the Global Sprint Challenge took place at Flemington. In all, ten races will be contested. Today's race was the G1 Black Caviar Lightning run over the straight 1000m. Terravista, 2014 equal best sprinter in the world, bounced back in spades to take out the race. The news article below gives replays of a barrier incident as well as the race. The winner is in the orange and is drawn one from the outside.

https://www.racing.com/news/2017-02-18/dramatic-lightning-sparks-up-terravista