1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

International Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

The G2 Moonee Valley Gold Cup was run today. The winner Ventura Storm was No. 27 in Order of Merit for the cup. He'll probably cop a small weight penalty for today's win, which should lift him into the big one. They carved out the race in track record time. Ventura Storm began well from a middle draw and lobbed into a nice trailing position. No. 14, green with black stripes.

SwanHills likes this.
  2. Cyclonic

The wonderful Aubrion de Gers won the 12th leg of the European Trotters in Mons on Friday. Mid race, the short priced favourite whipped around the field and went on to a comfortable win. The gallant mare Billie de Montford couldn't secure a clear run in the straight. She sat on the leader's back. Third went to Billie de Montfort's stablemate Valko Jenilat, who was pretty much responsible for keeping Billie locked away in the straight. I think the champ still had some juice in the tank as he went to the post, so I don't think Billie de Montfort's impeded run would have made any difference.

Aubrion du Gers. No. 3.
    Billie de Montfort. No. 7.
    Valko Jenilat. No. 5.

SwanHills likes this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Having to pick up my grandson from an away football match at what turned out to be 2am this morning and getting to bed at 3.30 am, I forgot about the Cox Plate and haven't seen it. Glad to see she won. What a great mare

4. Cyclonic

Here you go Ron.

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Cyc. Just can't stop my eyes watering when I watch her <cheers>

Cyclonic likes this.
  6. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Albury is one of the "Country" race tracks. One main grandstand and a track that is just over a mile round. Main meeting is the Listed Albury Gold Cup in March. the day I went was 40C (in the shade) :eek: so a bit on the toasty side - apart from that it was a good fun day out. Reduced entrance rate for OAPs (handy for my mum who lived about 10 mins away at the time). There is also a cheap frequent shuttle service from the centre of Albury. https://alburyracing.com.au/

Randwick is one of the premier tracks (probably the equivalent of Ascot). I've been a couple of times once on a freebie and the other time with my mum on New Years day. She got in on a concession and I'm sure it was something ridiculous like $5 for her. Including lunch, programmes and tickets we had change from $75 (but it was a few years ago). Yes the facilities, quality of races and horses are better than Albury but Albury had a better atmosphere (despite the scorchio temperature). https://www.australianturfclub.com.au/

Cyclonic and bayernkenny like this.
  7. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Very interesting to hear about visiting race tracks in Australia.

After my father died in the mid 1980's my mother started to join me on my international jaunts to the horse racing. Although these included Belmont Park in NYC and various Paris tracks the trips were predominantly to Germany. The first thing that struck me (us) was the far lower entrance costs; quite often free for my elderly Mum and a spread of 4 to 8 Euros for me.

I think my Mum's favourite was Munich (Riem) for the day of the Grosser Dallmayr Preis as the sponsors (Dallmayr Delicatessen) always gave away fabulous 'goodie' bags. I can still remember being asked to return to the display stand and ask for more; must have seemed like Oliver Twist to the very attractive young ladies hired for the day!. The race itself was a Group 1 over 10 furlongs which usually, but not always, meant the equivalent of a British/Irish/French Group 2.

A great day for me was at Koln Weidenpesch on a local public holiday where the sponsors would be one of the main 'Kolsch' breweries. I seem to recall free beer so had to remember the main reason for a day at the races. This was one of the days where we would both have picked up vouchers for free entry.

Finally, and what prompted my thoughts, was the statement above that Randwick is considered to be Australia's Ascot. We loved a day at the main meeting at Baden-Baden which is, I suppose, Germany's 'Ascot' without the ropy behaviour from male and female patrons. They also seemed to welcome children with many and varied pass times provided for future 'growed up' guests. My Mum would sit for ages appreciating the children playing whereupon I could wander about the shops and bars in my own wee world.

Another difference which used to hit me every time I visited the 'cuddies' in Germany and other countries was the reasonably priced grub whether from stalls or restaurants.

To close the difference between visiting a race track in the UK and racing abroad struck me most intently when I realised that the racecard for a day at the Cheltenham Festival costs more than the entrance fee for a day at Auteuil during the 'Week-end International de l'Obstacle'. This despite the latter containing three Grade 1 'jumps' races plus other Graded races and valuable handicaps. Vive le PMU says I.

Time for my two boiled eggs .......... toodle-pip!

8. Cyclonic

The mighty Bold Eagle, winner of 18 G1 races goes around today in the Central East GP. He'll have to give them a 25m start in the 2850m race at Feurs. Bold Eagle will be looking for win number 42 from 55 starts.

9. Cyclonic

Last year the locals of Feurs held high hopes that arguably the best trotter on the planet, Bold Eagle, would pay them a visit. It was planned for the little fella to run in the 2850m Central East GP but plans went awry and the great horse had to miss the event. But no so this year. And the locals finally got their wish, to see the two time winner of the Prix d'Amerique in the flesh. Bold Eagle had to concede 25m at the start.

No. 10. Red with black arm bands and yellow cap.

https://translate.googleusercontent...700230&usg=ALkJrhig2WDo8FpoumSiphEziKtEz6tynQ

SwanHills likes this.
  10. Cyclonic

The boom 6 year old trotter Cleangame confirmed his status as one of the premier youngsters in the game when he made a one act affair of the 3000m Grand National du Trot at Nantes yesterday. He's third last, on the outside, as they swing out of the straight the first time.

Nantes, Race 2.

https://www.letrot.com/fr/replay-courses

SwanHills likes this.

11. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Interesting article by Brad Bishop, entitled "History Says - Mackinnon Stakes" in the Racing Australia site, on the upcoming Mackinnon Stakes at Flemington tomorrow: Here are the first five paragraphs. Think I'll watch this one:

"It has been an elite-level race over 2000 metres (or 10 furlongs) for a long, long time, but the Seppelt Mackinnon Stakes that will be run at Flemington on Saturday is different to the same race of a couple of years ago.

Initially run on the first day of the Melbourne Cup Carnival, it moved to the final day in 2016.

That first running on Day 4 didn’t stop the continuation of a trend that made the event one of the easiest to follow from a historical point of view.

Awesome Rock won the 2016 Mackinnon after finishing unplaced in the Cox Plate, a trait shared by the majority of winners since the turn of millennium. Twelve of the past 18 Mackinnon winners came through the Cox Plate, with So You Think the only one to have placed.

Unusually, none of this year’s Cox Plate field is engaged on Saturday, which forces us to look for other trends and something that has become increasingly trendy is the presence of three-year-olds in the race now worth $2 million."

...................continues.

12. Cyclonic

Personally, I think it's rather sad that they've removed the Mackinnon from the pre-cup lead up race program. So many great horses from the Mackinnon went on to take out the cup, but of late, the race has become a forgotten factor when it comes to the big one. The more dour European types that now dominate the cup, don't need that last minute lead in race, they're already rock solid. And so the Mackinnon is now destined to slowly whither away on the vine.

It's only salvation now is in playing a very ordinary second fiddle to the Cox Plate, which is a real shame. This prestigious race should have been moved to an earlier time slot where it still had a hand in cup preparations, and not dumped at the end of the carnival. The field for tomorrow's Mackinnon pales alongside some of fields of the past.

The history of the LKS Mackinnon Stakes reads like a who's who of Australian racing. Jesus wept, I feel like crying when I look at the list of winners of this great race. I fully understand how next to no one outside Australia knows too much about the history of the sport in this country, and I don't expect anyone to chase down it's history, but believe me, it would be worth while if they did so.

I can't believe how pissed off I am over this.

Appologies.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.
  13. SwanHills

Typical me, I unwittingly stumbled on a scheduling cockup from far away, should have known better. <doh>

14. Cyclonic

<laugh> All's good Swanny.

15. Cyclonic

$1,000,000 VRC Sprint Classic. WFA. Flemington 1200m.

Santa Ana Lane: Blue, yellow arm bands and cap. No 3, drawn 5 from the left.

SwanHills likes this.
  16. SwanHills

Wow, from out of the clouds!

Cyclonic likes this.
  17. Cyclonic

The 1800m G1 $2,000,000 LKS Mackinnon Stakes.

SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.
  18. SwanHills

Oh my, oh my. I did 'enjoy' that, sort of. To clarify, I have frequently selected an absolute rogue 'trapper', the sprinter Pennsylvania Dutch on the DH, and look who wins this. Why didn't I have a good look at the race, there was only one horse in it, screw the form business, and that was...………….TRAP THE FOOLS! <doh> <laugh>

Seriously, a very gutsy front-running performance from the winner, a well-deserved victory! <ok>

Edit: I have at last quit selecting Dutch, so get on large next time! :emoticon-0101-sadsm

Cyclonic likes this.
  19. Cyclonic

The G3 Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2600m run last Saturday. The winner is drawn 4 from the outside. No7, blue, white shoulders, blue and white striped cap.

SwanHills likes this.
  20. Cyclonic

A the Autumn Carnival winds down, the stayers had one last shot an the cash. Today the 3200m Sandown Cup was run and won by Yogi. Connections had hopes of a Melbourne Cup run, but the horse was balloted out. Winning rider Craig Williams was rubbed out for 7 meetings due to excessive whip use. Yogi was last to leave the barrier and settled towards the rear.

SwanHills likes this.