1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

International Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

An article from David Baxter of the Racing Post, which quite frankly, doesn't tell us anything most of us didn't already know about the Melbourne Cup, even before this year's renewal? However, not a bad little article, gives us a clearer picture on Wicklow Brave's run. How well I remember Ebor winner Purple Moon in the 2007 running of the MC, done out of it in the final strides by half-a-length by the 16/1 shot Efficient. Had a pretty good win bet going on Purple Moon, so it hurt a bit at the time, but that's horseracing. The Ebor really is a good form guide for any horse who ran well in it, and is subsequently sent over for the Melbourne Cup

Four things we learned from the Melbourne Cup
    By David Baxter 4:00PM 1 NOV 2016
    Wide draw does for Wicklow Brave
    With the Melbourne Cup run over 2m, you would think the effect of a wide draw would be lessened, but as the race is often run at a furious pace, it does prove a disadvantage if you are posted wide and cannot get in.
    This was exactly what happened to Wicklow Brave, who was always prominent from stall 24 of 24, but the seven-year-old was never able to get any cover, and did not appear to enjoy his trip round as he flashed his tail a couple of times down the back straight before finishing well down the field.
    Wait goes on for Godolphin, but Qewy a star
    It has been an interesting year for Qewy, who ran in the Coral Cup in March, and then took on a very different type of Cup challenge at Flemington.
    The six-year-old has thrived in Australia, winning the Geelong Cup before coming with a good late run to take fourth in the Melbourne Cup.
    While Godolphin's wait for a first win in the race goes on for another year, at six, Qewy looks like he could be a spring carnival fixture for another couple of seasons, along with Hartnell, who took third.
    Aussies know a Cup sort
    The locals once again repelled a strong challenge from Britain and Ireland, and they did it with Almandin, who was trained previously by the German-based Jean-Pierre Carvalho.
    Recent previous winners Fiorente and Green Moon were also snaffled from Europe and it seems trainers and bloodstock agents have a great eye for what is needed to win the race.
    Follow the Ebor
    Form students looking for a clue as to where the challenge from Britain, although latterly Ireland, will come from next year should pay close attention to the Ebor.
    The race has a similar make-up to the Cup, being a staying handicap that is basically the preserve of Group horses. Heartbreak City nearly did the double this year, as did Purple Moon nine years ago, while Wicklow Brave was second at York last year and also developed into a Melbourne Cup contender.

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Have a look at this for a masterful piece of riding. The G1 Crown Oaks was run at Flemington today and it caused one hell of an upset. They set this filly for this race last year and secured as much as 500-1 about her. Trainer, rider and the syndicate manager devised the strategy and hoped she'd run a bold race, but didn't expect this.

Watch for the Brenton Avdulla bow as he crossed the line. It was as if to say. "How was that for a ****in' ride?" Amazing.

https://www.racing.com/videos/2016-11-03/lasqueti-spirits-crown-oaks

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    SwanHills likes this.
  3. SwanHills

Good day, Cyc. Just couldn't manage to get the replay to function but got a 'family' replay on YouTube from a guy called AussieFIFA. His little boy was very vocal! The winner absolutely stole the race. Great front-running ride. The filly really dug deep and deserved the win. <ok>

4. Cyclonic

There's a massive clash looming on the horizon in a couple of days time. The G1 Breeder's Cup Classic run on the dirt over the 10 furlong trip, will bring the mighty California Chrome to the course looking to extend his unbeaten 2016 campaign to 7 wins on the trot. The usual crew in the shape of Frosted and Keen Ice, will be there to do battle with the champ, probably to no avail. The challenger to "Chromie" who's drawing a heap of attention is the Bob Baffert trained 3 year old Arrogate, the winner of 4 of his 5 starts. Last up Arrogate put the sword to General Assembly's Travers and track record that's stood for 37 years when he smashed his opposition into the dirt. His problem though, is that after giving away 2 years in age, he receives just 4 pounds from California Chrome in the Classic. The latest two runs from the combatants are below.

5. Cyclonic

6. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Backed 'Beholder' in Breeders Cup 2012 and 2013 however did not think it could return to this level of form!

7. Cyclonic

The huge clash between California Chrome and the three year old, rising star, Arrogate in the Breeders' Cup Classic.

8. Cyclonic

Breeders' Cup Turf. A cracking ride.

9. SwanHills

Great video clips, thank you! Just love those Yankee commentators, f*** a wild man! Superb rides on both the winners. Pure hindsight so don't jump me, but flipping Keen Ice third at 50/1. 50/1, ****ing stroll on! Why didn't I just have a baked bean on it e/w, backed it before! :emoticon-0101-sadsm

Cyclonic and SaveTheHumans like this.
  10. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Spot on. Great commentary. Genuine excitement and happiness unlike Simon quivering wreck Holt here who trys to turn every commentary into a big sentimental farce.

SwanHills and Cyclonic like this.

11. Cyclonic

A week late. 2015 Japan horse of the year Maurice in the G1 Autumn Tanno Sho. He started the 3-1 favourite and was ridden by Ryan Moore. He's from the 8 gate and in the yellow cap, red and yellow stripes. Green hooped sleeves.

12. Cyclonic

The Fillies and Mares G1 Queen Elizabeth 11 Cup over 2200m was today run in Kyoto. The favourite going to the stalls was last year's winner Marialite. She was smashed as they left the straight just after the start. She ran on well at the end. Number 1. The winner though was the aptly named Queens Ring. She carried the 3 cloth and has the yellow and brown stripes and black cap. She settles just worse than mid field on the fence.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  13. Cyclonic

The Group 1 Champions Cup was today run in Japan. Number 2 Awardee started a very heavy favourite but the race went to Number 8 Sound True who came hard from a long way back. He's from the 8 gate and is in the Green with Yellow top and cap, Black sleeves. He carries bright Yellow head gear. I couldn't get the replay in English. It was a slashing win though. He drops back to second last.

14. Cyclonic

Every year in Australia, the best pacers in this part of the globe get together to compete for the championship known as the Inter Dominion. The Million dollar event is raced over three nights, where the horses have to amass enough points to make the final field. It's a pretty testing old affair. The first round of heats took place on November 26 over 2130m, the second round was run 4 days later over the same distance, and the final heats over 2500m on December 2. The Grand Final is to run over the 2900m will see the top 10 point scores from the original line up of 30. The Final will be run Friday. The scream hot chance Hectorjayjay had a terrible draw for the final. The race is now wide open with the reigning champ Lennytheshark having his work cut out. The heats link will hopefully work, if so, the final 3 heats give an insight to the final. http://www.perthinterdominion.com.au/race-information/2016-perth-inter-dominion-series-results/

Front row

1. Bling It On $5.50

2. Run Oneover $4

3. Our Jericho $51

4. Lennytheshark $7

5. John Of Arc $21

6. Franco Nelson $31

7. Smolda $11

8. Bettors Fire $18

9. Hectorjayjay $2.40

Back row

10. Beaudiene Boaz $10

15. SwanHills

This is the field for the Grand Final, Cyc? This Bling It On would interest me a bit, although I really don't know much about Pacing, not done in Europe. Drawn 1 for the big one, I noticed he raced three-wide all the way in that heat and finished well. Biggish horse, he seemed to wobble a bit sometimes with his gait early on, but I'd give him a chance. Look forward to watching a video replay of the Final on Friday.

Last Sunday in January (29th) for the 2017 Prix d'Amérique from Vincennes, Paris, with the best Trotters in the world at it again. Will try to put-up a video clip of it afterwards.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  16. bayernkenny

Can recommend an evening at Vincennes to my chums; reminded me of a more crowded and more exciting version of 'a night at the dugs' in Scottish parlance.

Similar atmosphere experienced at 'Munchen Daglfing' (trot) and Neuss (galopp).

Grub at Daglfing was the best I have stuffed down my gob at any racetrack I have visited!

17. SwanHills

Great to hear your good opinion of dear old Daglfing. Never missed a meeting (when I was home from abroad) in the days of Helmut Biendl and younger brother Gerhard Biendl, Siggy Jahn, Helmut Obermeier, et al. Gerhard is still driving, I think. As you say the grub in the stands was just great, served at your table. Got to know the regulars well at our 8- (or was it 10-) seater table with its magnificent view of the track. The meatloaf was the best I ever tasted outside of home. Ah, great memories of the '70s and '80s. Saw some great trotters there in the couple of Grand Circuit races they had during a year. Remember the world-class French trotters Idéal du Gazeau and the great Ourasi (4-times winner of the Prix d'Amérique) running there, What a treat that was! Maybe it was just the one Grand Circuit they had at Daglfing. Long time ago now.

18. bayernkenny

Can still remember the music!

It was during my 'early' years so it was just a matter of pointing at something tasty behind the counter. Possibly had my 'virgin' Weissbier at Daglfing after discussion with new friends!

19. Cyclonic

Ourasi. 1990s win. He's in the yellow and blue, yellow cap and has the white chest strap.

SwanHills likes this.
  20. Cyclonic

Yes it is Swanny. I liked Hectorjayjay but he drew a shocker of an alley. Still, he's a bold chance. Run Oneover from the two will be hard to beat if he gets to the front too, and of course you can't discount the champion Lennytheshark.