1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

International Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

The final qualifying race for the Prix d' Amerique was run yesterday at Vincennes. It turned out to be a race between the big three. There was a great run from Takethem in the all white, but I'm not sure he'll make it into the field for the big one.

2. Cyclonic

On today's Daily Thread there were some lovely replays which lead me in search of Yeats' fourth Ascot Gold Cup win, which I was going to post on that thread. But I found this piece on the great horse which goes for a bit too long for the DT, so I've posted it here. In the 8-10 years I've followed UK racing, Yeats has stood front and centre in my memories. So much so that I even wrote a piece about the fourth win, something I never did for the wonderful Frankel. I loved the heart of Yeats.

Ron likes this.
  3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Cyc. <cheers>

Cyclonic likes this.
  4. Cyclonic

The G1 Telegraph Stakes run at Trentham in NZ. The winner Enzo's Lad won at cricket score odds. He came from the inside gate and sat behind the leader.

5. Cyclonic

The G3 Wellington Cup over 2 miles. Magic Chai missed the start, then bucked for a stride, then settled last. He looked the winner coming to the turn but it was only in the last 100m that he fully wound up. He's drawn 9 from the inside. White sleeves and green cap.

6. Cyclonic

Judging by the accent of the caller, I think this race may be from South Africa. Well below the 400m mark, maybe 300 m out, the rider of Rainbow Fish whips the horse more than 30 times. Rules must be different over there.

7. Cyclonic

Globally, I suppose the best known Australian horses in the last 50 years have been Black Caviar and Winx, and a lot of young folk with no memories of the past, will say those two wonderful horses are as good as we've had. Until Black Caviar and Winx came along, it was all Phar Lap and Tulloch. Racing purists just couldn't split these two. Most Aussies will side with the legend Phar Lap though. But Tulloch is there with him. Tommy Smith, Tulloch's trainer wouldn't put his horse before Big Red, but he held him close to the Red Terror.

Then Kingston Town arrived on the scene. Smith loved him but wouldn't rate him above his beloved champion Tulloch. But by the end of the King's career, Smith conceded that he couldn't separate them.

For me, Kingston Town is the best horse we've seen in this country since Tulloch who raced 50 years ago. And 40 years before that we had Phar Lap. Below is a couple of clips of the champ.

8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I once saw a film about an Australian horse. Not sure but I think the regular jockey died (or got killed) and his brother rode it to victory. Great film and a true story. I think it was Makybe Diva but on looking it up can't see anything about the jockey. Maybe it was his brother who died?

9. Cyclonic

The horse in question Ron, was the Dermot Weld trained Media Puzzle who won in 2002. Damien Oliver rode the horse in the Cup. His older brother Jason was a West Australian rider and had no connection to either Media Puzzle or Dermot Weld. But 7 days out from the Melbourne Cup, Jason was badly injured when riding an unraced 2 year old which broke both front legs in a trial at the Belmont track in Perth. He was pitched forward and then trapped under the stricken horse as it slid along the track. Jason never recovered consciousness and passed away the next day. Less than a week later, Damien rode Media Puzzle to victory and dedicated the win to his brother.

Ron likes this.
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

AH. Thanks Cyc. It must have been a documentary I saw about Makybe Diva. Both great to watch

Cyclonic likes this.

11. Cyclonic

The 2400m, G 3 City of Auckland Cup run today in New Zealand. No 7, Charles Road, drawn one from the outside.

12. Cyclonic

The 1600m G1 Steward's Cup worth 902,000 UK pounds was run today in Hong Kong. The Magic Man, Joao Moreira guides Seasons Bloom to victory from the inside alley.

13. Cyclonic

The other G1 even on the program was the Centenary Sprint Cup over 1200m. Last year's winner Mr. Stunning went in an odds on favourite, but was rolled by the fast finishing D B Pin. All placed horses were trained John Size. The winner is in the yellow and black and three deep early. Same prize money as the Steward's Cup.

14. Cyclonic

The EU1,000,000 G1 Prix d'Amerique is now less then 10 minutes away. If Bold Eagle can make it three on the bounce, he'll bring the house down. At the moment he's about 7-4. There appear to be probably three other hot chances in the race, Readly Express at 3-1, Propulsion at 13-2 and Bird Parker at 15-2. The mare Belina Josselyn is a 6-1 shot, but females find it hard to crack it in the big race.

15. Cyclonic

16. Cyclonic

wow, 5 false starts so far. Go the champ ...18

17. Cyclonic

Holy crap, what a race. Readly Express just holds off Bold Eagle with Propulsion third.

18. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Hell of a race, Cyc. Not too many videos around at the moment, found one in Norwegian, I think. Guess you will put a better one up tomorrow with English commentary. Never lets you down, this race!

Note: Readly Express has same Papa as the second, Bold Eagle, the great Ready Cash!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Cyclonic likes this.
  19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pegasus World Cup: Gun Runner wins world's richest race in final start. Happy retirement GR

please log in to view this image

Gun Runner won four Grade 1 races in 2017, including the Breeders Cup Classic
    American Horse of the Year Gun Runner landed an impressive win in the Pegasus World Cup - the world's richest horse race worth $16m (£11.3m).

The winner at Florida's Gulfstream Park was making his final career start before being retired to stud.

The evens favourite led throughout and although West Coast challenged briefly, he powered away for a comfortable win.

Jamie Osborne's Toast of New York carried British hopes but he never featured, finishing down the field.

"It's just a very emotional time," said Gun Runner's trainer Steve Asmussen. "For him to come through like he did today, overcome the draw, I'm so proud of him.

"He's a dream come true. He's just a special individual. This memory will be with us forever."

Attached Files:

Cyclonic likes this.
  20. Cyclonic

Readly Express.

SwanHills likes this.