1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

International Racing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, Sep 14, 2016.

1. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I watch the trotting in the bookies sometimes in the mornings. Never had a bet on it though.

It seems to me that the horse who is on the inside at the front has a huge advantage and usually wins. It's along way round those tight bends making it very difficult to overtake.

Cyclonic likes this.
  2. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Watched a lot of harness racing (trotting only, as pacing gait not allowed in Europe) in the late '70s and most of the '80s, mostly at Daglfing here in Munich, but have been to the Hamburg-Bahrenfeld track too. Daglfing used to boast one Grand Circuit race a year so I have seen a couple of great ones, Ideal du Gazeau and Jorky, both French. You make a good point about being drawn on the inside, but I would question the 'usually wins' comment. In routine races those drawn on the inside at the autostart do have an advantage, for sure, and many take advantage of it. In top class trotting, however, it makes little difference IMHO. Try to watch, for example, the world's No.1 Trot, the Prix d'Amerique, next year on the last Sunday in January if you can. Though the horse drawn on the inside may well lead and/or be in the van for a long way, I doubt very much it will win. This race is usually won by one of the big ones from the back, for example the current champion, Bald Eagle.

Harness Racing is a great sport, unfortunately none too popular on the forum, too much competition from Thoroughbred Racing (Flat and NH), and even the Greyhounds! I enjoy Cyc's clips very much, brings back lots of memories! <ok>

Ron likes this.
  3. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Well I've never said the inside always wins, all I've said is that they have a huge advantage, and usually do win. Which for me is true.

Wether one horse has a lot more ability than another horse is a whole different story altogether. But if you have horses all of a similar ability then the horse drawn on the inside will always win, as they end up running less distance. It's fairly simple intelligence to just know they have a big advantage.

Obvioulsy this is also true in normal horse racing, but as every horse isn't pulling a big wide cart, and every course isn't like a dog track it isn't quite as big an influence in the outcome of a race, in the same way it is in trotting.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

G1 Hopeful Stakes at Saratoga.

5. Cyclonic

One of the things that interests me in the G1 trotting distance races is the way they keep changing leaders. It's like they all fear being too far back. And drivers in these big fields often have balls when it comes to sitting three deep, which to me seems like suicide. The clip below shows how things can change during a race. I think there were about half a dozen lead changes in the 2017 G1 Grand Prix de Paris. The great Bold Eagle at his best. The commentator was a bit over the top though. It's hard to find an English commentary, so we have to be grateful for small mercies. :)

SwanHills likes this.
  6. SwanHills

Oh dear, all I questioned was your remark 'usually wins', that's all. I never inferred that you used the words 'always wins'. By the way, it is not a 'big wide cart', it is really quite narrow, actually.
    Must rush, wife and hairdresser calling me that she is ready to cut my mop! Goodbye! :afro:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  7. Cyclonic

There looks to be a massive show down at Vincennes this weekend. After a year of points races spread across Europe, the Final of the UET Trotting Masters Series will see what looks to be the clash of two titans on the European scene, Bold Eagle and Aubrion Du Gers. The mighty Bold Eagle has not only won the D'Amerique for the last two years, but has taken out the Vincennes triple crown, the D'Amerique, the Grand Prix De France & Grand Prix De Paris. He also won the 5 year old Criterium last season.

Aubrion Du Gers is one of the few geldings racing in top flight company. He pretty much accepted as the best gelding racing in Europe. He's won 19 of his last 24 starts, but has not had much to do with this quality of competition. I don't think he has the gears of Bold Eagle, but he's certainly a dour type who'll be suited by the 2700m trip. It would be wonderful if these two can fight it out down the running.

Others who could also run some sort of race are Twister Bi, Carabinieri, Ringostarr Treb, Valko Jenilat (my favourite horse) and Bird Parker. They should start 16, but as it stands there are 18 left in at the moment. I Can't wait, it'll be bloody brilliant.

SwanHills likes this.
  8. SwanHills

Cyc, I guess this is the last race of the year in what we used to call the Grand Circuit? Look forward to seeing the video clip when it comes out. Maybe I'll pop into the one big bookie still left here (for horse racing, that is, all the others are for betting on football, tennis, and other sports) and watch it live. Won't be betting on it though.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Cyclonic likes this.
  9. Cyclonic

The G1 Del Mar Futurity is a race for 2 year old colts run over the 7 furlong trip. It's an event with some series names on it honour board. 2015 went to Nyquist while the year before, American Pharoah saluted. Maybe Bolt d'Oro and Zatter might have a future ... maybe.

10. Cyclonic

In the lead up to last Sunday's opening day of new Sha Tin's season, all Joao Moreira wanted to talk about was his ride on Seasons Bloom. The miler stepped out for the first time this season, over the 6 furlong trip and had an impressive win. He stopped the clock at 1:08:32, and ran the final 400m in an stunning 21:52, easing up. He'll now be aimed at the G3 1400m G3 Celebration Cup on October 1, before he takes a crack at the G1 Hong Kong Mile. He Number 4 and is the blue and white stripes.

11. Cyclonic

The Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud victor and Arc bound Zarak did some work today at Maisons-Laffitte. Christophe Soumillon settled the four old behind the two pace setters before easing him to the line at the end of the 9 furlong gallop. How did he look?

Zark's trainer Alain de Royer-Dupre stated. "I asked them to ensure the gallop was conducted at a decent pace but had no need to see the horse finish off really quickly; we know he can do that."

"This was his prep race without actually running in a trial. We did this so he didn’t have to contest the Prix Foy. We’re in good shape, his coat looks well and I’m pleased with him."

SwanHills likes this.
  12. Cyclonic

Laytown annual meeting.

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That looked hard work but the winner did come from way back and took the long road

Cyclonic likes this.
  14. Cyclonic

About half an hour ago, the Aga Khan's lovely looking grey Darbuzan contested the G3 Prix de Lutece at Saint-Cloud. He just got home in the 3,000m event.

15. Cyclonic

Also from Saint-Cloud today, the G3 Prix la Rochette. 1400m for 2 year olds. The winner was second favourite at 6-4. Maroon and white.

16. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I love those famous maroon and white silks of Sheikh Mohammed - much better than that sickly Godolphin blue

17. stick

stick Bumper King

How about the Prix du Tourelles Cyc? Let me really feel the pain!

18. Cyclonic

Were you on Pleasant Surprise Stick? That's a painful way to lose.

stick likes this.
  19. Cyclonic

I can't wait for the big one at Vincennes today. The 2700m G2 European Trotting Masters Final is according to what I've read, the Summer edition of the G1 Prix d' Amerique. While a step down in class, it allows geldings to meet the very best in the business. Geldings are not allowed to compete in G1 races. This race stands equal second in prize money, along with the G1 Grand Prix de France and the G1 Grand Prix De Paris, behind the d'Amerique.

As so it is that the strongest trotting nation on the planet awaits with bated breath, the clash of the great Bold Eagle and the best gelding in Europe if not the world, Aubrion Du Gers, winner of 19 of his last 24 races. Bold Eagle has won 35 of his last 39. Among those wins were doubles in the d'Americque. Prix De France & a win in the Prix De Paris. He was also 4 & 5 year old Champion. I can't find any global rankings, but it'd hard to believe Bold Eagle is the best trotter in the game. Still, that's no guarantee of a win today. Not only has he Aubrion Du Gers to deal with, but good horses like Valko Jenilat, Ringostarr Treb, Dante Boko, Twister Bi and Carabinieri.

It's bit too early in the day to get a handle on the PMU, but as it stands at the moment, the odds are as follows.

1. Spitcam Jubb. 59.0
    2. D.d. Hitman. 55.
    3. Midnight Hour. 94.
    4. Carabinieri. 63.
    5. Volstead. 42.
    6. Cruzado Dela Noche. 42.
    7. Twister Bi. 24.
    8. Dante Boko. 79.
    9. Ringostarr Treb. 23
    10. Valko Jenilat. 23.
    11. Aubrion Du Gers. 8.8.
    12. On Track Piraten. 69.
    13. Oasis Bi. 51.
    14 Bold Eagle. 1.3.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  20. Cyclonic

The other interesting race on the same program is the 2175m G2 Prix Basly, a race for three year olds. Early on in the season, the strapping colt Eye Of The Storm dominated the scene, but of late the tiny filly Evidence Roc has come along nicely. They've met four times with each beating the other home twice. Last time out though, the filly gave the colt a real hiding. On that run alone, she will again take a power of beating. At the moment, Evidence Roc is 3.0 while Eye Of The Storm is at 2.8.