1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic International Break Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'd love to think so, his pre-injury form and even in the final few games of last season he showcased how good he can be, but as he's finding out, consistency is key to being in Poch's team on a regular basis.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah I've touched on the Lamela situation. Another article mentioned Sissoko was the one who Poch has supposedly said will start in his place but with Son skipping the international match he's definitely put himself in contention.

3. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Peter Shilton thinks Rooney should have retired after the Euros. I agree. I'm surprised Mourinho didn't nudge him in that direction. He'd be far more effective for Utd if he got a break every international week.

Rooney is on a hiding to nothing playing for England. He's not going to play centre forward; he shouldn't play no.10 ahead of the younger and more dynamic Alli; he's not a midfielder - although England do lack a playmaker/continuity player so it can't be claimed that he's keeping a better option out of that role. His strengths in the past have been his willingness to receive the ball, his running, his pace, his eye for goal and his technical ability (although the latter is not saying much when compared to most other England players he's played with). He has shown his ability for Utd regularly (aided by better players around him) and for England spasmodically, but now his attributes are fading with age. He would be a better player if he was used more sparingly - and that means limiting his commitments to club football only.

International football is a strange beast these days. There are so many teams and so many games. Most countries have a group of players who play in one or more of the major leagues so their opponents are well known to them from the many club games they play. All teams are now well organised and play tactically, carrying out a well drilled plan. The emphasis is on being strong defensively. There is little chance for skill to shine. And skilful players are further hampered by tournament football being at the end of 60+ game club seasons plus friendly and/or qualifying international games, pre-season tours around the world etc, so there is the likelihood of fatigue, injury and sometimes indifference, as well as the burden of expectation. The Euros didn't produce top quality football from top players - it was memorable for teams on an adrenalin high punching above their weight and Portugal riding their luck. It seems to be literally the survival of the fittest - so better perhaps for Sam to pick younger legs in all positions and to follow these same methods (which he's done himself at club level anyway) of organised, well drilled defence and uninspiring attack aiming for a 1-0 win.

crackerman jack likes this.
  4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2004 or 2008?

5. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Pochettino may well have made a commitment to Sissoko to get him to come here. If it were up to me, I'd play Son, for fear Sissoko would not be able to carry out defensive responsibilities. Stoke play an open game these days, which suits us, so I might prefer slotting in someone who knows our system, at least in theory. We still haven't conceded a goal from open play.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  6. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tis but a scratch! Hardly touched him!

7. littleDinosaurLuke

Rashford in scoring form for the U-21s

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Chalobah's earning his 88th England cap (at all levels, admittedly).
    He's played over 100 senior games in various leagues. He's yet to feature for Chelsea.

9. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

This ^

I think a large part of the Sissoko splurge was Poch realising that the Wandier pivot simply isn't working. If we had the luxury of giving them time to gel together, we'd have room to maneuver. But with every point vital and CL football a matter of days away, the honeymoon is over for them. Absolutely no point starting Son if that pivot isn't sorted out as he of all people lacks the tenacity to seize possession when it isn't put on a silver platter for him. I'd very much like to see Sissoko start with Dier, and let's see what all this fuss is about.

10. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Switzerland 2 - 0 Portugal @ h/t.

Nice.

11. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I thought they were playing in Basel?

12. littleDinosaurLuke

It was all down hill after 2004, wasn't it?

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Instead of who will be interesting.

14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Wanyama (last-in first-out) .
    Common sense suggests starting as is, and then give Sissoko at least the final 25 mins.

15. redwhiteandermblue

We’ve looked average in a couple of games because Everton and Liverpool are good teams who played us at our own game when we were missing the player who did the most to make that game work. Even so, we did no worse than last year with Dembele. Given that Lamela can’t play, I would think we’ll play Janssen. Sissoko barely knows what color our kit is, let alone Pochettino’s system. Son didn’t get either our pressing or our passing last year. We may hope he’s improved, but he hasn’t had much time to do so this year. If we didn’t play Janssen, the player I’d like to see start is Carroll, because he’s the only one likely not to bring the level of the team down.
    If we're behind, and probably if the score is even, I agree we might bring Sissoko on. I'd hesitate to take off Wanyama, as he scored our only winner.

16. humanbeingincroydon

Albania/Moldova was...weird.

The match kicked off at 8:45 on Monday evening - and finished at 1:20 on Tuesday afternoon, due to the match being halted in the 76th minute on Monday due to torrential rain with the score at 1-1...so Macedonia are probably pissed that their defenders fell asleep in the 89th minute, given they'd had fifteen hours and thirteen minutes rest before that happened.

17. humanbeingincroydon

Martin Skrtel obviously picked up some bad habits on Merseyside as he's trying to claim he's the victim after his second yellow card. Here's some direct quotes from him on the matter:

Kane knew that I got yellow card so maybe he received instructions, and he approached me more closely, went into every clash with me and attempted to provoke me

From the very first minute, (the referee) was warning me that he was watching me

In the tunnel, (the referee) told Matus Kozacik that there is always only a problem with me

It’s not the first time that referees have looked at me differently than other players

please log in to view this image

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

He's caught Costa-itis. He gets away with murder, but moans about being victimised.
    He should've been sent off before he got his second yellow and that should've been a straight red, too.
    Dirty, nasty and simply not good enough for the Premier League, frankly. Good riddance.

19. redwhiteandermblue

The man raised his hoof to knee level and brought his spikes down hard and deliberately on Kane's leg. In what world of delusion is that not a straight red, let alone a second yellow?

I've become a big fan of the ref, if nothing else. During the game I thought he was leaning towards being a Slovenian homer too much. He said those things because Skrtel was clearly the one out and out thug playing. Though playing doesn't really do justice to what Skrtel was doing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  20. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I am presuming that this arises out of an interview with a journalist. If so, the issue of "Martin, why did you blatantly stamp on Harry Kane's leg leading to your sending off and us losing an important qualifying match?" doesn't seem to have arisen. Must have slipped his mind.

humanbeingincroydon likes this.