1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Interesting if true

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Jiffie, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Skybet has dramatically made Nigel Pearson 2/7 hot favourite to become our next manager. Some bookies not taking anymore bets on Pearson.

Not sure about the validity of this but there is a twitter rumour, that Ipswich maybe subject to an American takeover, apparently Ashton brokered the original meetings and they want him as CEO.

In other news Joey Barton looks as though he is about to be named as the new gas manager very soon.

PS:- Pearson v Barton, I would pay good money to see that fight.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Pearson as CEO at Ipswich? Can't see that?

Jiffie likes this.
  3. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out, now changed to ASHTON.

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

The Ipswich thing was mentioned on OTIB this morning. It came about as he was brokering a deal between an American consortium and Lansdown which stalled with Covid for investment. Now they are looking into acquiring Ipswich and want Ashton as CEO. Sad thing is this will not happen fast enough for me to get him out.

Red Robin, Redprintt and Jiffie like this.
  5. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

You are probably correct but would give him an 'honourable' way out and would fit in with the way BCFC like to end things with no fuss and make it look like a career move, thats how SL operates.

6. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

7. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Don’t tease us! How I’d love this to be true

8. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

On twitter on a site called RobinsHub, Ipswich fans have been asking if he's any good.

9. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Ben Fisher Guardian sport, just tweeted Pearson to take over until the end of the season, also said talks accelerated today.

10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Gregor Mcgregor just tweeted, extensive talks have been held with Pearson, no final agreement reached yet.

11. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

12. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

If the latest rumours are true about Pearson coming in for the rest of the season, then I believe that Paul Simpson needs to take some credit in SL finally realising that we are in the ****.

I honestly think his post match interview was just what was needed, he summed up the way the club is being run very succintly, he seemed to me to just go for it probably believing that he has nothing to lose by telling the real truth and not the company line and I believe his honesty about the latest Joe Williams revelation was also needed.

Something at this club is rotten and needs serious attention.

Redprintt likes this.
  13. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Sh*t.

I backed Boro with Sunderland in 3-1 double.
    Still I'll be more than happy with a dead cat bounce.

14. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Pearson can't be an Ashton signing.
    Hope he's on his way.

Red Robin likes this.
  15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Nigel Pearson set to take over at Bristol City until end of season
    • Longer-term deal may be on the table in the summer
    • Joey Barton set to be appointed at Bristol Rovers
    Nigel Pearson is set to be appointed Bristol City’s new head coach until the end of the season. The former Watford manager has been out of work since July but is set to return to management in the Championship.
    • Pearson guided Leicester to the Premier League in 2014 and his appointment will be regarded as a significant coup following Dean Holden’s sacking on Tuesday. The 57-year-old is understood to have held productive talks with City officials on Sunday and is thought to be close to signing a short-term contract with a view to a longer one.

Pearson is unlikely to take charge in time for Tuesday’s trip to Middlesbrough but could be in the dugout for Saturday’s match against Swansea.

Holden was sacked following a run of six successive defeats, the latest of which came against Reading in midweek. Former England coaches Paul Simpson and Keith Downing took charge of Saturday’s defeat to Barnsley and are likely to remain part of Pearson’s staff.

Holden was appointed in August on a 12-month contract after a spell in interim charge following the sacking of Lee Johnson. City started the season with four wins but their promotion push has since stalled and Pearson, if the contractual formalities are completed, will take over a team languishing in 15th and having lost their last seven games.

Pearson was sacked by Watford last season with the club three points above the Premier League relegation zone. He left the club, who were relegated to the Championship, with the best points per game record (1.25) of any manager in Watford’s history.

In November he told the Guardian: “I can’t do things half-measure. I don’t do things half-measure. It’s really important for me to commit to something. I’ll only really know when either an opportunity comes along or if I feel that grab inside myself.”

Meanwhile, Bristol Rovers are set to appoint Joey Barton as their new manager. The former Newcastle midfielder left Fleetwood Town last month after two and a half years in charge and will succeed Paul Tisdale, who was sacked almost two weeks ago. The 38-year-old could take charge in time for their League One match against Wigan on Tuesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/21/nigel-pearson-bristol-city

16. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Excellent if true, shame we didn’t do something similar last time, before anyone says , I know he wasn’t available then, but this was the kind of appointment that was needed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Red Robin likes this.
  17. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I was about to put this up, anybody who has any doubts about Pearson, just read the portion that I highlighted.

That plus the piece about the criticism of the way Watford handled their media output, is just what is needed at the moment.

18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'“I can’t do things half-measure. I don’t do things half-measure. It’s really important for me to commit to something. I’ll only really know when either an opportunity comes along or if I feel that grab inside myself.”
    Good enough for me.

Red Robin and Jiffie like this.
  19. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Not my cup of tea, but if he turns City around and don't go off on one....then that's good enough for me...

20. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Blimey RP...surely the new manager wouldn't be able to do anything with the shambles left by LJ & co <laugh>