1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Interesting 2YO prospects for 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Grendel, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Looks a dud.

2. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Frankella travelled OK early in her latest race but went backwards disappointingly and you would have to think that two runs rated in the 40's by the Racing Post are very discouraging.

In that race I was initially watching the other Jeff Smith owned runner Seattle King, in the belief that he was the owners first string and because the betting indicated he was more expected. I thought Seattle King looked cooked after 2F, as he was already under pressure and looking green. He never really came back on the bridle and was outpaced but coming into the closing stages he was staying on and amazingly swept past to win readily in the end.

That looked a really promising debut and the Racing Post awarded him 93. I always feel anything over 80 is a decent debut for a 2YO and a fair figure to build from but I am not a fan of horses who need rousting early in their races. Perhaps it was down to experience or maybe he needs a mile already. Either way, I would like to see him again before deciding if I want him onside.

3. Grendel

Sacred Jewel is interesting to me as the first foal of Clive Cox's useful sprinter Priceless. Priceless is a daughter of Exceed And Excel and her finest hour was in landing the Group 2 Temple Stakes from Goldream and that races was a bit of a who's who of sprinters with some real speedsters like Kachy, Alpha Delphini, Take Cover, Quiet Reflection, Waady etc, who landed several Group races, including Group 1's between them.

Unsurprisingly the Charlie Appleby trained Sacred Jewel is by Dubawi and the handler knows more about the sire's progeny than anyone else in the world. It will be interesting to see what trip is going to be best for Sacred Jewel but she is entered to make her debut over 6F at Newmarket tomorrow and she is 2/1 Fav in the early betting for that race. Question marks are a hood and tongue tie fitted first time up and that tempers enthusiasm for a bet but I would be more concerned if it were further than a sprint trip.

4. Grendel

Decent early pace from Sacred Jewel but she just didn't pick up. Maybe worth a try at 5F but not a very promising start to her career.

One for the notebook could be the Queen's Dukedom. By Dubawi out of Nathra, the dam won the Nell Gywn before going on to be 5th in the Guineas behind Minding and was then runner-up behind the imperious La Cressonniere in the French 1000 Guineas.

Dukedom is in the Gosden's stable and John trained the dam Nathra. Dukedom would be a fitting name after the Duke Of Edinburgh's passing and the colt isentered at Sandown on Friday, over 7F, with Frankie booked to ride.

Dukedom (Dubawi-Nathra)

5. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Johnny Murtagh is getting lots of nice horses now, but never really had a good juvenile, but understand this yet to race Lope De Vega filly might fit that bill...

Lauroline

Grendel likes this.
  6. Grendel

She's entered in the Moyglare, so must be thought of to some extent. Looking through the Moyglare entries provided some other interesting unraced ones.

Grade One likes this.
  7. Grendel

Also entered in the Moyglare:-

Pure Dignity By Dubawi out of Starlet's Sister. The dam has only had three foals but one is Arc winner Sottsass and another was Breeder's Cup winner Sistercharlie. Even the lowest rated of her three foals was a Group 3 winner, so it's a good looking standard the dam is setting. (Roger Varian)

Pearl Border By Ribchester out of Firth Of Lorne and therefore a half sister to Guineas runner up Master Of The Seas. Also a half sister to Latharnach, who was runner-up to Gleneagles in the St James Palace stakes. (Charlie Appleby)

Twinkle By Galileo out of Believe'N'Succeed makes her a full sister to Derby winner Antony Van Dyck. (Aidan O'Brien)

Grade One likes this.
  8. Bustino74

maybe not

9. Bustino74

Those not bemused by my previous post, will realise I gave Frankella as a likely 2yo to watch. I perhaps was too hasty in writing her off after her previous run. She won well at 20-1 at Newmarket today, a race that has produced top class horses.

Grendel likes this.
  10. Grade One

Looking forward to Dubawi Legend possibly making his debut at Salisbury on Sunday

Told the Hugo Palmer colt is kicking anyone out of his way on the gallops at home

Pilgrim, Grendel and rudebwoy like this.

11. Grendel

That seemed a shocking turnaround from Frankella. Couldn't seem to get out of her own way the time before, it was no surprise she wasn't fancied. After RPR of 52 and 43 she leapt forward to 82 to get off the mark at 20/1.

Frankella is entered at Newbury on Friday in the Listed Rose Bowl over 6F again. I was looking at the Hannon colt Bosh as an improving sort who might be capable of winning that race and there are a few possibles who are bringing a bit stronger form than Frankella's but her win was a big step in the right direction.

Bustino74 and Grade One like this.
  12. Bustino74

Balding concerned to get the miles on the clock with Frankella. She reappears Friday in the listed race that Grendel mentions at her home course, Newbury. She looks to have a couple of tough components so will need to improve again.

13. Grendel

Showed good early speed but either outclassed or perhaps got tired. Looked worth a shot at the minimum to me.

14. Grendel

HMS Endeavour is entered at Naas on Wednesday in a 6F Maiden with Seamie Heffernan booked. Four of the eight entries have run but all have been unplaced.

The ATR website has a betting guide with HMS Endeavour at 2/1. I would take that! Expect it won't be available unless the horse has a bad vibe around him.

15. Grade One

Dermot Weld has some nice juveniles this season especially the fillies,but I hear this colt who is a son of Lope De Vega could also be smart

Duke De Sessa

16. Grendel

Entered and jocked up (James Doyle) tomorrow in 6.20 Doncaster.

rudebwoy, Pilgrim and Grade One like this.
  17. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

Around the 11/4 mark now

18. Grade One

Opened up at 4-1 with Bet 365

19. Bustino74

Disappointing. Surely the race to watch of today's 2yo contests was the 3rd at Catterick. Stick pointed out tin March that El Kebeir was a stallion to watch and he appears to have got a good one in Taj Alola. Looked very unruffled in the early parts of the race then only showed greenness when he hit the front. Looks as if he'll get 8f at least though there's plenty of speed there. Well done to Stick (and El Kebeir).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  20. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

That price didn't last long, 13/8 - 2/1

Grade One likes this.