1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Insomnia

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Burly Hurley, May 18, 2018.

1. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Any else struggle to sleep on here?

6 hrs since Sunday.

GP is bloody useless.

Anyone take natural remedies for this?

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Yep, I take a big old dose of thc and cbd(I smoke weed), the cbd reduces stress and pain and the thc has a sedative effect which helps going into stage one of sleep. If any recent stress being transferred to your dreaming THC also prevents you going into stage 5 of sleep so it will reduce dreaming which is helpful if stress is transferring to nightmares.

CBD alone may help(due it reducing your stress and if that's the cause of you struggling to sleep you should try it) but it doesn't work for everybody as CBD also aids alertness so nailing down the reason you can't sleep is important. So if you don't fancy breaking the law you could try @CBD saffy

CBD has no psychoactive effects and is legal.

3. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

Don’t get me started on Insomnia....

<yikes>:steam: <wah> :emoticon-0158-time: :emoticon-0149-no:

4. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Yeah I always struggled with sleep. My sleep pattern is much better now with taking the cbd capsules before bed. I'm working extremely long hours, so that will be playing a big part too. Like Brian says, it doesn't work for everybody but it does work for most. I also think people give in to easy instead of playing about until they find the right dose that suits them.

Holland & Barrett also have Nordic sleep tablets, which are also supposed to be quite good.

Burly Hurley and Brian Storm like this.
  5. Burly Hurley

I know you and Brian have both struggled with this in the past and I really appreciate your responses on here.

Got other **** going on and don't know if its related but may well be in touch mate if I don't get answers to other questions in the meantime.

Thanks to both you and @Brian Storm for the advice!

Brian Storm likes this.
  6. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Struggled with sleep all my life.. It doesn't help working night shifts either..

7. Burly Hurley

Sorry mate. Didn't mean to prod an open wound.

8. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

I was wondering where they’d gone..... thieving bastards. Good luck with the remedies. melatonin can help too, our natural sleep regulator.

RTB likes this.
  9. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Ya lazy b*stard.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I sleep about 5 hrs every night. Would like to lie in on a weekend but routine means I just get up normal time. Sorry mate cannot offer a remedy as I havent suffered from it. Hope you get sorted tho,

11. Saf

I had no idea what that was until two weeks ago. Some American company is selling bottles of cbd mixed with melatonin, as a sleep product,

12. Saf

Yeah no problem, mate. I was trying my best not to sound like a salesman there.

The first thing you could start doing is switching this off at a reasonable hour and winding down!

Brian Storm likes this.
  13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I have a routine where I drink in the evenings from Thursday to Sunday and give my liver a rest the other days and on those days I often have trouble getting to sleep. It's not insomnia but I can understand a fraction of what it must be like.

Sometimes I take a piriton which is a drowsy hay fever tablet, usually does the trick for me but I doubt it'd do anything for insomnia as it's not very strong. Other than that I try to workout as hard as possible in hopes of knackering myself out so I have no choice but to sleep.

14. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

I don't know whether I suffer from insomnia but never been a great sleeper since I was a kid. I get up early so by 8.30pm to 9.00pm I'm ready for bed. Tend to sleep for a couple of hours then get up and have a cup of tea for a hour or so. Providing I get some sleep after that I can get by. I think as I have gotten older I have managed it better. Sometimes on a weekend I just want to sleep.....trying to get this sleep pattern to coincide with Sunderland games so I miss the result....lol!!

15. Burly Hurley

Your sleep pattern is or was known as big sleep little sleep.

I struggled about 15 or so years ago then heard about bs-ls and realised that instead of struggling to get back to sleep about 2 in the morning, I should get up, have a cuppa or something to eat, take around half an hour, and go back to sleep. My sleep problem disappeared immediately once I accepted the sleep pattern.

It was the norm before the industrial revolution.

I've tried to get back to that but I struggle to get to sleep in the first place now.

LAMackem likes this.
  16. Burly Hurley

I'm in bed by 9 at the latest from Sunday to Thursday. Gotta be up at 5:30/6:00.

My head doesn't seem to switch off at all these days now though mate. Most nights I don't lie there worrying. And I'm not stressed like last year, I'm just not falling asleep.

17. Home_and_Away

I get so jealous of people with a regular sleeping pattern. It’s an ongoing issue in which doctors & psychologists have had their say, but never really came up with a solution. For the past 20 years I’ve been running on adrenaline yet manage to perform at a pretty high standard with a big smile on my face which is quite bizarre. It pisses me right off when I hear people trying to justify being grumpy & miserable because they’ve only had 7 hours sleep the night before <steam>
    Anyway, back to Dire Straits live :emoticon-0159-music

18. Home_and_Away

If I am desperate for sleep this is my go to.....

Amitriptyline
    , sold under the brand name Elavil among others, is a medicine primarily used to treat a number of mental illnesses. These include major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders, and less commonly attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder. Other uses include prevention of migraines, treatment of neuropathic pain such as fibromyalgia and postherpetic neuralgia, and less commonly insomnia. It is in the tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) class and its exact mechanism of action is unclear. Amitriptyline is taken by mouth.

19. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

I have a bottle of melatonin pills for when required. If I’m on a travel intensive trip I take it with me to relax on flights, and help me to calm down /sleep at night. It combats cortisone, which the body produces when stressed... and keeps you awake.

Otherwise, I am trying to switch off from my phone /laptop/tv by 10 absolute latest - ideally earlier around 9 - then switch to reading a book to relax into sleep with a cup of camomile tea. If I know that I am nowhere near relaxed enough early evening I'll go for a 30-60 min brisk walk, some stretching followed by a hot shower. That inevitably does the trick and normally induces a deep sleep

20. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

No worries fella
    if you're gonna do that mate it's worth taking a blend of organic sunflower lecithin and coconut oil to not only rest your liver but repair it from the drinking. Don't use soya lecithin as it's GM'd to **** and basically useless.

Nacho likes this.