1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

ins and outs

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, May 9, 2021.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Aren't Wrexham now owned by some wealthy Americans and I don't believe the wage cap applys to the National league.

Rovers need to get some friendlies sorted out otherwise they will be match rusty when we do actually start playing for real and wins are needed

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) is one of them <ok>

3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Ayunga's gone to Morecambe. Not a smart move for us.

4. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

So we definitely need another striker.

We should advertise the position: “Experienced striker with good goal scoring record required for Bristol Rovers. Interested? Please send your CV to Mr J Barton c/o HMP Pentonville”.

5. old timer

Timmy Abraham has joined Newport on a season long loan another one to come back and haunt us.

Really sorry to see Jonah Ayunga being allowed to leave, we are now VERY short of strikers and with the right coaching I think he would at this level become a good player

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

"Ayunga scored twice in an impressive debut" - just a line from Morecambe's post match write up of their game yesterday!

7. Gastronomic

Ayunga was the best player in the pitch a few times last season. We seem to be really good at letting talent go.

8. years ago

years ago Active Member

i tend to agree that Ayunga was worth trying for longer but numbers signed and numbers allowed meant some had to go and it is certain that you are going to have to release someone somebody else wants. .Keeping hope for future , perhaps, Rovers are confident that Peterborough are going to sell the wanted star, and that, rovers are going to have a transfer bonus, and that in turn is to be spent on our managers idea of a wonder kid. Nothing can be done until the ex rovers goal scorer puts pen to paper and the ball for us starts rolling
    Keep being hopeful even if you loathe the manager .

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yep but I preferred it be someone else and not a striker that will leave us further in trouble in that position.

10. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Brett Pitman a decent signing - he never really had any pace so i think his age is less of a problem
    He knows where the goal is

Wooperts_duck and Bluebaldee like this.

11. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

That has surprised me a bit this signing, but you're right - he certainly knows where the goal is. With Thomas and Nicholson supplying the assists Pitman and Collins could well score quite a few goals at this level. I'm no longer bothered about signing ex-City, ex-Swindon players - that's not an issue for me.

All in all a pretty decent signing as long as he stays fit.

12. Gastronomic

Happy with Pitman. If the rest of the team works really hard, Pitman will get on the end of a few chances and should be capable of bagging 15+ goals, which would be a big improvement, and if a few others chip in and learn from Pitman's experience we should be ok. Taylor didn't contribute much to the team effort, but bagged lots of goals, so having a proven goal poacher in the side of off the bench is no bad thing.

13. Gastronomic

Ryan Broom's joined Plymouth

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I agree. Never been keen before signing ex City players. But we are soooooooooooo far behind them now, are we really rivals anymore? How long ago did he play for them? He has gone down hill since and now scrapping the barrel with us and the fact people think he is a good signing for us, that's how far behind we are City.

I feel he is way passed best. We wanted experience but I didn't expect to sign an OAP!! He is a striker who relies on good service. When was the last time we had players able to offer good service to strikers? He will end up being a frustrated figure and fans will turn on him for not producing and will blame it on being an ex City player when in reality, it wouldn't be his fault. We need a striker who can make his own goal with his workrate, like JCH. Can't see our new man doing much running and chasing. Have you seen his gut? It will be a long time before he is even match fit! I will be very surprised if he scores double figures this season. So if this is our main guy.... we're in trouble.

15. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Fully agree, he was brilliant for us, and even at the end of last season when we had a bit of a "wobble", he scored two very good goals for Swindon against us in a match we were expected to win. Think he will score quite a few goals for you this coming season.

16. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

Forget all about ex-City players etc, IMO a decent signing for a 4th division club, his wages must be the highest ever paid by rovers but they needed someone to score goals to save them dropping back into non-league.

17. old timer

Still no RB signed, 1 youngster Luca Hoole appears to be the only RB with Rodman and Anderson as WBs. We lost a lot of games last season playing with WBs who couldn't properly defend can only see a long season of struggle ahead

18. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I’m not that bothered personally. An RB is the final position we need to fill but Hoole can do a job for us until we do and it shouldn’t be too hard to either get a loan signing or to capture a free agent in that position.

I look at some of the other L2 squads and I think we’ve got quite a competitive one - certainly going forward which was one of our major problems last season.

The concern, of course, is around the manager and questions remain about his ability and whether he’ll actually manage to stay out of prison. But I do believe that he’s put together a reasonably competitive outfit and for that reason I don’t think we’ll struggle this season, whether he remains manager or not.

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Well.... I now look stupid!

20. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Well you were right - he is past his best, but his best was as a proven Championship goal scorer.

That’s not where we are so he’ll hopefully do as a decent striker at our new level. Put it this way - last season we desperately needed someone with goalscoring nous, our stats showed that we created chances but didn’t put them away.

Conversely, Pitman struggled at Swindon because they weren’t creating chances for him. If we’d had him last season we’d probably still be in L1.

We now have the players - Nicholson, Thomas etc who will create for him so I reckon he’ll do alright for us in L2.