1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

In league with the Devil

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, May 27, 2019.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I support GFC - primarily the team on the pitch. I have never wanted anything but 100% honest effort - and certainly not anything gained from cheating.
    It would be a nice bonus if GFC was not in the limelight for so many wrong reasons - but - there are other Clubs also carrying wrong 'political baggage.' These issues do not have to reflect on the integrity of the fans, and, thankfully. rarely does!

Mr. Scally has defended his position in appointing Mr. Evans as our manager - claiming he is the best candidate for the job. Realistically ( in football terms ), it is difficult to argue against on this point alone.

Mr.Scally has obviously taken note of some of the displeasure ( in Evans ), being shown by fans. He has come out with a publicity stunt of offering refunds on season tickets - calling the bluff of the fans. Mr.Scally claims that nobody has taken up his offer. I'm not surprised.

Mr.Scally has failed to recognise the reasons for the displeasure of fans -- they have very little ( if any at all ), to do with football ! The record of Evans is definitely one of the better ones in lower league football. I have absolutely no problem if he is a hard task master with the players. I have no problem with him having passion - as opposed to just standing silently on the touchline with arms folded.

What I object to (( and I am sure that this applies to all the angry fans of the Club ), is the appointment of a totally obnoxious human being - who has been convicted for 'cheating'. This is not the sort of person with whom GFC should have association. Worse still, Evans has had 'history' with previous management of this Club - and has a relationship with its' fans that is nothing short of toxic. This relationship may not necessarily improve much even if GFC were to have some success on the pitch --- I would welcome this. I would even recognise any achievement ( on the pitch ), by Mr. Evans -- but THAT will not change my mind about Mr. Evans ( the non football manager ) - and THAT, and just the couple of reasons I have outlined, is why fans of GFC hate Mr. Evans. We love our Club - and that is why we will still come to give the team our support ( I may even give support to on-pitch tactics ), but I will not join Mr.Scally in drinking from the same cup as 'the Devil.'

grumpygit and Minxy like this.
  2. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

We don't often agree always .... but I'm with you on this one.

Obnoxious is a very polite description of the man .... I wasn't the only posh fan who was embarrassed to have him associated with my club .... hopefully he'll have only a brief spell at the Gills too .

alwaysright and grumpygit like this.