1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Impact of Brexit on Football

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Then your reply wasn't to my question <ok>

Economic uncertainty and fear are two of the most serious problems. The youngest generation is the first since records began to be worse off than their parents, and their parents are risking making them even worse off. I appreciate that the rationale of voting for Brexit costing us 2-7% of GDP doesn't really feature high on the man on the street's agendas because they don't think they will really notice it. But they will.

In any event, it's just weak rhetoric from the Brexiters. "Uncertainty" and "fear" can just as easily be flipped to mean - vote Remain and we will reap the rewards of financial certainty and investor confidence. It's just how you choose to interpret their rhetoric really.

The only valid arguments for Brexit are emotional ones. As I said, that's fine. But you have to know what you're voting for and why. If you're an emotional person and care about the British "empire" and British "sovereignty", then I will totally understand if you want us to leave. But the madness is people voting leave because they "don't like how the Remain campaign says things". That's not an argument.

2. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

I have to apply for a postal vote as I'll be in Switzerland during the referendum.

Will be interesting to see first-hand how a struggling non-EU country is coping. :grin:

KIO likes this.
  3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I'm voting out because I don't want my country and borders governed by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels. Yes I voted Tory at the GE but Cameron can go and do one here. I cannot believe that the Government was allowed to spend £10M of OUR money sending out this bullshit propaganda. Cameron and all the rest of the career politicians from all sides care about one thing only and that's their meal ticket in Brussels once they leave office. Dave IMO sees his future as doing **** all just like Kinnock and co and getting paid handsomely for the privilege. Frankly I don't care if I'm worse off (which I doubt very much anyway), should we lose the shackles of the EU in fact I'd gladly pay to lose them. Unfortunately for me I believe that most of our Nation are happy to be the lapdogs of the Germans and the French and will vote to preserve the status quo and it will be a very sad day. Never again will we be given the opportunity to Govern ourselves once more, so please think very carefully before you put that 'X' in that box.

#voteleave #brexit

wi-exile likes this.
  4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

My vote will cancel out yours Rob ;)

Canary Rob likes this.
  5. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

This is the key part for me, but then I am one of the "oldies".

Immigration, or rather uncontrolled immigration has become increasingly important and I don't see how a future UK government, while in the EU can keep a promise to stem the flow, or even remove those that are a security threat. I think the in/out votes will be cast mainly on this issue. Emotional? Maybe but there is a real present day threat that the EU is not addressing, indeed they are making it worse with the open door policy.

KIO likes this.
  6. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

How will Brexit 'stem the flow' (if 'the flow' isn't scaremongering I don't know what is)?

If we're out. we'll just up the intake of people from commonwealth nations and outside Europe in general. Tory fiscal policy relies on immigrants, and that's absolutely fine, but don't kid yourself that Brexit will 'halt' immigration in any way.

7. ThaiCanary

Scaremongering? Look at the immigration levels in the last 15 years. Those sorts of number cannot continue indefinitely. If there is on open border, there is nothing to stop it from happening. Not saying it will but equally you cannot say it will not.

KIO likes this.
  8. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

We don't have an 'open border' - the fact that people say we do (or that we could have if we stay in the EU) to me absolutely is scaremongering.

One of the (many) exceptions the EU allows us is with regards to movement of people through Europe and into the UK:

please log in to view this image

9. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Today, the IMF are highlighting how Brexit is a bad idea for us:

“In the United Kingdom, the planned June referendum on European Union membership has already created uncertainty for investors; a ‘Brexit’ could do severe regional and global damage by disrupting established trading relationships,”
    http://www.imf.org/external/ns/cs.aspx?id=29

10. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

My overriding dream is for all night street parties as the results of the referendum come in, with Union flags waving and those of the EU being burnt.
    Obviously in the minority here though.

General Melchett likes this.

11. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Me
    Meh

12. Canary Rob

Yep, exactly. And I can't pick any holes in that if it's how you feel <ok>

13. ThaiCanary

To "the man in the street" this pretty map, or any other will not make a jot of difference. The average person is looking at what is happening on mainland Europe and fear the same coming to their little island. It's an emotional reaction which many are feeling justified in making, the business side of life is secondary to them, at best, right or wrong will not come in to play in this election.

14. Canary Rob

This (albeit probably slightly tongue in cheek) response from KIO neatly typifies the problem with the Remain campaign.

The people who want to leave simply are not voting and probably will not vote on the undoubtedly profoundly negative economic consequences. They simply do not care about this, so in a sense I do not understand why Remain are still banging on about it.

15. ThaiCanary

Businesses can and do adapt to change, hell most of them instigate changes of their own every year. Maybe it will be a little harder for a few years while until new relationships are forged but ultimately those new relationships will happen with India, China, Taiwan and other developing nations keen to trade with the UK. Perhaps the country might have some industries sprouting and thriving again, and not just the financial sector.

KIO likes this.
  16. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Thai & Rob, you may well be right. It just frustrates me when people put ridiculous nationalism before everything else.

17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but are we not the fourth largest economy in the world? Do you honestly believe that we need the EU? Put bluntly without our contributions the EU will probably break up altogether, they need us far more than we need them. Any uncertainty is happening now, once the result comes in there will be no uncertainty whatsoever <ok>

18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Presumably you believe waving the cross of St George is racist? <doh>

19. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

We're about 6th.

You know what has the largest? The EU.
    You know what would have the 2nd largest (after the US)? The EU without us.

20. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Of course. Hence why I have one in my sig.

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.