1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Impact of Brexit on Football

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Just you wait my Union Jack waving Brexit voting feathered foes the economy will come crashing down around your budgie heads and you will end up in the gutter where you belong.

(Oops accidently posted as my Columike alter ego).

2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Mike probably thinks 'Brexit' is when the mighty ColWho get dumped out of the F A Vase by Bradford Park Avenue! <ok> ;)

Resurgam and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I'll give your post a 4/10, you even missed his catchphrase, FACT!

Bah!

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think the current defence is that we haven't Brexited yet so it doesn't count.

5. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

You're probably right, but surely even the most adamant remainer knew that it would take a few years for us to leave. You can bet you're life any downturn in the economy over the next 10 to 15 years will be blamed on Brexit.

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that anything slightly negative in the next 10 to 15 years will be blamed on Brexit........but let the Remoaners moan.

carrowcanario likes this.
  7. General Melchett

I blame the Italian and German banking crisises on Brexit! And my cat woke me up during the night too, thats Brexit for you!
    When will this madness end?

Bah!

8. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I didn't stop posting because of you Canario. I've enjoyed our broadly good natured discussions.

None of what I've said has been proven false (yet! ;)) - we still don't have the recession figures for the last quarter, all those are from the previous quarter. But when revealed its going to be borderline - if no recession then I accept I was wrong. Carney and co. have done a good job at averting the worst of the negativity and keeping us on an even keel. Don't let my negativity give you the wrong idea - I'll be delighted to be wrong on that one because it will be sentiment that has caused it, not reality.

However, all the other stuff is correct. The pound is tumbling, anti-EU rhetoric from the Tory Party conference was clear that we are getting hard Brexit no matter the economic cost. The EU has said they are going to punish us. The major European cities are climbing over each other to offer good deals to London-based corporates, the US companies sat down May and told her what for. So all those arguments about getting a good trade deal are out the window - the nation voted to hurt London and that (to be fair, we did democratically decide) is what we have to do. To make matters worse though, Amber Rudd and co. are no longer avoiding being racist as they somehow think this puts them "in touch" with the general population. Yet while some did vote for Brexit on racist lines, I bet most didn't - they were simply misled.

In the absence of a credible opposition, the worst excesses of the Tory Party are appearing, swept up in the rage about foreigners and "sovereignty" on a mandate from 52% of our population. May is skating the "elite" and previous government so hard you wouldn't have thought she'd been Home Secretary/cabinet for the last six years.

It's truly horrific, but the inevitable result of years of misplaced abuse of the EU by the Press and the government has done its work. We are seeing a rise in racist incidents too. The over 50 generation really have turned the screw on the younger. The irony is that by the time Brexit actually occurs, there will almost certainly be no majority for Brexit as they will have died.

Anyone who thinks we are going to avoid serious economic pain is sadly deluded. All the Brexit arguments that our economy would be OK were predicated on some form of soft Brexit. But that's not what we voted for.

We've made this democratic bed and we now have to lie in it.

I'll leave it there as I promised not to post any more <ok> but hopefully you're clear that I'm all for the democratic consensus, I'm just hugely disappointed with our Press and elite politicians who so wildly misled people for their own political gain.

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great post Rob. <applause>

I think we're only seeing the 'tip of the iceberg' as regards the impact of Brexit and I'm sure the full effects won't be known for many years. I accept that at the moment, 'everytning in the garden is rosy' - manufacturing up, exports up, sales in the high street up,; but only today, the pound has hit it's lowest level against the dollar in 31 years, so all those over 50s (and yes, I'm one of them, but voted to remain) who enjoy their trips abroad several times a year, are going to not only find that their holidays will be more expensive, but their GBP will buy a lot less when they do get to their destination. Also, we import so many goods and it is inevitable that prices in the shops are bound to increase in the coming months and years.

Presently, inflation is relatively low, but I’d like to come back to this thread in say 5 years’ time, as I guess by then, we’ll see the full impact of Brexit.

10. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Rob - Right or wrong doesn't really matter, but keep posting even if it's on football only issues.

DHCanary, Resurgam and JM Fan like this.

11. General Melchett

I agree whole heartedly with that sentiment.

Bah!

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Nothing whatsoever to do with the football side of things - no, this is far more serious...the implications of no Marmite supplies <yikes> :emoticon-0106-cryin :emoticon-0145-shake
    Magnificent stuff from today's F. T. <ok>
    https://www.ft.com/content/f84f8bec-9116-11e6-a72e-b428cb934b78

edit - <grr> it won't let me post it on here as I'm not subscribed.
    I googled 'Marmite' and under the 'news' heading there's an article called 'The Great Marmite shortage'
    published by the FT, well worth a read if it will let you.

14. canary-dave

Get Tesco's yeast extract, identical taste at half the price!

15. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

You heathen Dave. By all that is sacred and holy (all hail Marmite), how can anything taste identical to Marmite? :eek:<yikes>

16. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

JM Fan and Resurgam like this.
  17. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

It's only unavailable on line - best you get down your local supermarket and start hoarding!!!! <laugh>

Resurgam likes this.
  18. canary-dave

Tried and tested. My daughter would not buy yeast extract because she only likes marmite. On a visit she said she was hungry, could she have toast and marmite?

I gave her toast and yeast extract which she demolished and said it was good. When I showed her the jar she emptied my kitchen looking for the marmite I must have used and eventually agreed she couldn't tell the difference!

19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    ncgandy likes this.
  20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

No two ways, you either hate it...or loathe and detest it (her) <laugh>

please log in to view this image

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.