1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Impact of Brexit on Football

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Send the fecking thing back to Downing Street without a stamp on it, that's what I've done.

#voteleave #brexit

wi-exile likes this.
  2. NORKIE

NORKIE Well-Known Member

Cromer bor, now,now, you know they only have your best interests at heart. Now where would we be without "Dodgy Dave" as Stringer called him in the Palace of Westminster ? LOL.

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's interesting seeing the strength of anti-EU opinions on here, as day-to-day I rarely encounter anybody who is pro-Brexit. Everyone is effected differently by the debate, but for me Brexit would make my life sufficiently more difficult that I'd quickly be looking for the fastest way possible to be an EU citizen again. Possibly moving to Ireland (or perhaps Scotland) would be easiest.

JKCanary likes this.
  4. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

I'm considering moving to Germany anyway, but a Brexit would probably give the impetus to do it bloody quickly!

This discussion is probably more suited to the 'General Conversation Thread' though, no?

5. NORKIE

NORKIE Well-Known Member

DHC bor, Government say old folk are in favour of Brexit whereas the younger folk are pro EU. The Government are concerned because old folk tend to vote while the younger element can't be bothered. What the Government doesn't say is why old folk are in favour of Brexit. The reason is simple, us old 'uns remember this country before our politicians dumped us in the EU without our consent and we know which we prefer.

It is said if we leave then we will be in for hard times. Youngsters today don't know the meaning hard times; when we had to defend our nation from those sods from Europe and their New Order. I have two married daughters and their families are pro Europe, that is their decision. We fought to preserve that right for them to hold their views and right or wrong they are entitled to them.

6. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

That sort of hyperbolic, generalist nonsense gets right on my nerves.

I'm not saying you 'old uns' (whatever that generalisation means - not every pensioner is the same!) had it 'easy' at all, but it's naive to think younger generations have everything easy.

Younger people may not know exactly what it was like to live in Britain 40 years ago, but perhaps equally older generations don't know what it's like, for example, to pay extortionate rents and be subject to a housing bubble that prevents them from affording a home of their own.

marknemo likes this.
  7. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

But the young ones are the ones which will have to live with the decision for longer. Surely they should get their say.

8. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

I have dual nationality - not sure how that works? :emoticon-0112-wonde

9. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I think that may certainly be the case with the General Election, but it feels like the younger generations are more switched on with the EU referendum. It'll certainly be interesting to see the voter turnout by age, I expect it to be a lot more consistent across the ages than for the GE. Personally I'm expecting a narrow vote to remain, as those who favour the status quo tend not to be as vocal, giving things the appearance of being more equal than they may be. That certainly seemed to be the case in the Scottish referendum.

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Best of both worlds I presume/hope!

11. NORKIE

NORKIE Well-Known Member

Rob bor, read my previous remarks (last paragraph) now on this thread from another thread re my daughters. Everyone of voting age are getting their say in whether we stay or leave. I think that covers your concern.

12. Canary Rob

Not really.

The young are going to live with the decision for 40, 50, 60 years. Can the old say the same?

The young are in danger of being made to suffer by the old even more.

13. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

May I ask why?

14. NORKIE

NORKIE Well-Known Member

DHC bor, we still have not been informed of the outcome of the money the EU Commission inflicted on our country going back to 1995. The Commission said that as we had improved our financial standing since then we would have to make a contribution to cover that improvement. Cameron said at the time we would not be paying it. In view of his recent achievements on the political scene, can we trust him to adhere to that statement ?

If they can make these demands, it just proves how much they dominate our country. What else can they demand ?

This without doubt a major decision the electorate will be making. Whatever the outcome this country will still be around, like our football club.

"Rob just got your remarks. No I cannot foretell the future. No more than you can foretell if our progeny will suffer if we remain in Europe. Only Time can answer that question. It has always been the case that future generations are governed by the actions of their forebears. I accept that William Pitt made his decisions and we have had to bear that consequence. At least we are debating this issue in a civilised manner Rob.

15. Canary Rob

Thanks Norkie - I agree no reason to be anything other than civilised.

I am not really talking about the decision for posterity. I am talking about the voters here and now - apparently the young are 20 points or so ahead in favour of staying. What I am saying is that given they are the ones that actually will have to live with the decision, as opposed to the shorter life expectancy of older voters (as brutal as that sounds) who won't have to, why aren't the young given more weight in the voting?

16. NORKIE

NORKIE Well-Known Member

Rob bor, because we are a democracy. One person one vote. Whatever the outcome it will have to be accepted by those who lose the Referendum decision. I think us old 'uns are fully aware that it will affect the coming generations more than us but we are entitled to our opinion.

17. ThaiCanary

Yes the old can, the last vote was in the early 70's (when they voted) when we joined what was then the Common Market. Since then it has grown and changed beyond recognition and is not what the older generation voted for.A vote to remain or leave is long overdue.

ncgandy likes this.
  18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Cheerio

19. Canary Rob

Really, the old are going to live for another 60 years? I don't think so.

They are voting for the young's financial future, but based on their own emotional interests. There isn't a single rational reason to vote to leave the EU, only emotional ones. That doesn't make them wrong or bad - we are, after all, emotional beings. But it does mean I would urge every individual to carefully take stock on a hugely important decision which will have a profound effect on others far more than yourself.

I don't and won't blame any individual for wanting to and voting out. That's their prerogative. But I feel strongly that they should be fully informed and know why they are voting the way they are <ok>

DHCanary likes this.
  20. ThaiCanary

You did not understand my reply. You said - The young are going to live with the decision for 40, 50, 60 years. Can the old say the same?

The answer is they already have for 40+ years in which time the goal posts have been moved and moved and moved yet again, hence many of the generation want out. The young may well vote to stay in but they too run the risk of the goalposts shifting to a point where it becomes impossible to withdraw, if future politicians make it impossible to do so.

From what I have read and seen I don't see a good case to stay in as it more to do with "uncertainty" and "fear" should the UK withdraw. I think Brexit are putting a far more convincing and stronger case to withdraw.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.