1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If you think...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 11, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

the Gills are bad at times, our fortunes could be worse!

I was having a conversation about the 2009 League One being one of the best set of teams ever to grace that particular league, however, I also noted that four of the teams in that league then, are now non league clubs;

Orient
    Tranmere
    Hartlepool
    Stockport

I have to admit it makes you think now of the two contrasts of fortune of that league back then.

grumpygit likes this.
  2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Any team can have a brief flirtation with success, over the longer term league positions are mainly determined by the number of supporters paying at the turnstile or the individual wealth of the owner. Whilst this might be sad it is merely a reflection of life, money talks.

3. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

Even if you have A awesome youth set up still very hard to keep players with prem clubs buying up all the talent and never play them.

4. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely. But i think also this is sometimes why i remain in Scally's camp. I look at the team's i mentioned above and then think, well at least we are still playing League One / Division Three football, so he has not made us any worse off a club. Probably over the whole of his term, he has made us a better league positioned club, we have flirted more with Division Three then Division Four than back in the day.

What muddied the waters was Championship football, because it brought in a new generation of supporter, that then becomes the expectation.

My biggest concern at the moment is the gates, and this is where Scally annoys me. I know he has to keep a balance for STH, the bread and butter people, so i do understand, but as most of you know I've been keeping a close eye on the National League this season and I feel for the first time in a very long time, Scally is at risk of having his Kent revenue cut in the forthcoming seasons.

Dover are still top, Maidstone are still in the playoffs, over 2,000 turned up for Ebbsfleet home game yesterday, they will be our closest competitor gate wise, especially as this season their home games have tied in with ours. The saviour for Scally at the moment is Ebbsfleet are still a mid-table team but if their fortunes change after Christmas things could start to get lively.

If you run a business you keep a close eye on your competitors, Dover is an hour away, so not so much of problem as we have London clubs closer but the Stones and the Fleet are on our doorstep!

5. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

The biggest club for attendences in kent after Gills is Dartford they could be in national league next year aswell.

brb likes this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

I was trying to avoid mentioning Dartford after their embarrassment against Swindon <laugh><ok>