1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If / When we go up .....

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Whitejock, Apr 11, 2019.

1. sniffer1

sniffer1 Well-Known Member

Dont be surprised if daniel james comes from swansea as we were going to get him in january but leeds wanted to sign him and pay at end of season when promoted for only 10 million pounds thats 1 player so could easily get 4 new players and pay their wages

2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Exactly as I understand it too

3. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

It also doesn’t factor in that we lose money annually and that our owner is skint.

The positive in that is that assuming bielsa stays, they will probably strengthen only the places where we really need it, and won’t be tempted to go all ridsdale like a kid in s sweety shop.

If we stay up we get the same money again the following year. If we go down we get parachute payments... all while keeping the cost base manageable.

We probably all have different opinions on the ‘where we really need it’ from a strengthening position.

Eireleeds1 and lifecheshirewhite like this.
  4. Eireleeds1

If or when we go up, I want us to show ambition and lots of it. Wolves are the benchmark and a top eight finish. No talk of going down again with parachute payments to spend another 15 years in the championship or worse. If radz doesn’t have the financial clout, then he needs to either move on or bring in partners or investors to help with the building process. Personally I’d prefer him to stay but with proper money men on board. Who knows Bielsas capabilities given the backing. If we do what we all hope for in the next two weeks, I can assure you, you won’t read Eire settling for relegation or a bottom six finish next season or any season. I’ve had enough of the nightmare. How’s our time to not only go up but to become a real force in football again but I won’t come cheap and won’t be much room for sentiment either. Any staff, playing or otherwise, unable to handle the demands of a higher level for whatever will need to move on even if heroes this season.. sadly it’s the reality of football. After all that, top eight in pl here we come. Just my feelings, I probably don’t have another 15 years to waste in the championship

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Without a big investor I can’t see we’ll ever compete in the PL. Look at the PL over the past 10 seasons, apart from one season wonders Leicester all the teams going up are still nowhere when it comes to challenging for Europe.

Burnley, Hull, W Ham, Blackpool, Sunderland, Reading, Newcastle, Cardif, Fulham, West Brom, Stoke, Birmingham, Watford, Palace, Southampton, Norwich, QPR, Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield.

Yes Wolves are doing okay this season but realistically they will be bottom 3 within the next 2-3 seasons, it’s just the way it is. Chelsea and Man U Battling for 5th and 6th, you just can’t catch them kind of teams up without big investment and billionaire owners.

Spurs are a good example of a team slowly built up but it’s took them years to get back up there and this was assisted along the way with the £100m for Bale transfer.

I’ll enjoy us being in the PL next season if we get promoted but it will have to be a game at a time, I’d love to believe it won’t be a matter of survival but the sad truth is it will be unless a rich oil Arab comes along

Gessa and davy like this.
  6. Eireleeds1

Lets just hope for the rich Arab. I will

Gessa, lifecheshirewhite and ristac like this.
  7. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Probably alone in my thoughts on this one, but I don't want us to be another Chelsea or Man City who just throw money at it. I have huge respect for how well Wolves have done this season, but even then the whole super-agent thing irritates me, too.

I think Bielsa would be the same - he'll obviously want some money, but what he's achieved this season with a net spend of circa £3m is nothing short of magnificent. I have little doubt he'd have us in a comfortable mid-table position, pushing top half with £20-30m spent (which seems achievable, given that even if we went down the parachute payments would cover it).

FORZA LEEDS and Eric Le Merde like this.
  8. Eireleeds1

Personally I’d be happy with being the next Everton. Haven’t sold their souls and still operate from original stadium

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

22 years since last trophy and 14 years since they finished high enough for the Champions League, 15 after this season. I can’t see any point being in the PL to make up the numbers and that’s what Everton has become.

I do understand the divided opinion but give me Man City style owners any day, better still I can dream the FA will one day do something about salary caps, agent fees and loopholes in fair play and even out the playing field a bit.

FORZA LEEDS and Eireleeds1 like this.
  10. Eireleeds1

Dont think anyone who watched the breathtaking display on Wednesday between spuds and city could have any complaints about owners etc. Id love to see us there again some day and dont care who bank rolls it whether its Radz, Sky, rich Arab or combination of the lot.

ristac likes this.

11. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

If you spend the disgraceful amounts of money that city have spent you'd expect a decent match. Part of me is dreading getting to the Premiership again. (if we do) :(

FORZA LEEDS, ristac and Eireleeds1 like this.
  12. Eireleeds1

But thats the route to success in the modern game, like it or not and I hate it as much as anyone else but you have to move on

13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How I see it....

1) We get promoted this season and within the next 2 years Rads sells us to someone rich enough to make us a decent force.

2) We get promoted Rads continues to be the owner we might survive we might hang on in for a season or two before going back down but competing with the best the Championship has to offer as we will have the parachute payments.

IF we go up this season I am honestly expecting Rads to hang on to Bielsa for anoher season, a few signings and hoping some of the U23's breaking through, I wouldn't expect much next season, just a sound base.

We just need to be back in the top flight for a spell, hopefully an extended stay but I just want us back and I'll just enjoy the close season with a VERY open mind as to next season. I also want us up in the Auto's as I have a feeling Rads will not hang about waiting to make signings, I'd expect the squad to take an immediate break and report back early

Irishshako likes this.
  14. Irishshako

Move on. I'm still stuck in the 50s and I don't mean my age<laugh>

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  15. Irishshako

<applause>

16. Irishshako

Come on Florest

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  17. Eireleeds1

Youre more plastic than me ffs. Last week it was the wallies, this week Florist. Stay off ma Barca bandwagon at least <doh>

ristac and Irishshako like this.
  18. Irishshako

Feck off<laugh>

19. davy

davy Well-Known Member

I don't care if we don't go up, I've had a ball this year. <cheers>

If we go up and come back down again with parachute money, that's ok too - and it might re-calibrate the reality checker for some.

If we go up, stay up that's great - but not at any price. At the moment we have a true club identity, and an honesty and integrity through Bielsa and Radz too. At least we know who we are when we look in the mirror - most PL clubs don't. So I don't want us to sell our souls for cash or short-term glory.

Just my take.<ok>

20. Irishshako

<applause>

davy and Whitejock like this.