1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

if we are after a Right winger ? why not Mahrez?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Shwan71, Dec 13, 2017.

?

should we Sign Mahrez?

1. YES

50.0%
  2. NO

16.7%
  3. May be

33.3%
  1. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

watching Mahrez today made me think is there any better Right winger atm ? I can't believe no is going for him including UTD especially we are trying to buy a right winger ?

2. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I'm in the maybe camp, I like Mahrez and think he's a class act, he looked the business again tonight.

I just feel that with the likes of Martial and Rashford, who can play in those wide areas, we will probably benefit from it long term to give those 2 the game time. Mahrez is at his peak and is unlikely to get much better, where as I think Rashford and Martial have the potential to get a lot better than they currently are.

So I'm not sure I'd want us to sign an established player who would get game time ahead of them. That's why I was never that keen on Perisic either, even though he too is a class player.

Shwan71 likes this.
  3. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

I read everywhere that we are after a Right winger, so seem even Jose seem not convinced and tbh he tired it against City but didn't work playing Rashford and Martial at wings

4. King Shergar

Well I don't think 1 game against a side that are playing miles better than us this season is a fair game to judge wether they would work. All I know is both at times have been very effective when playing from the left, so surely either could do a good job from the right.

Having said that if we are offloading Mkhitaryan then Mahrez would probably be a good fit for us, as he wont be cup tied for Europe, and we'll need more than just Rashford and Martial with the number of fixtures we'll have.

I still feel he will go in for Perisic again too, he plays from the left more often, but can also play centrally if needed. Not sure Inter will be to keen to sell now they are unbeaten and at the top of the table though.

5. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Jose loves anything chelsea,Willian anyone?

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You're alright, you can keep him.

One thing being beaten by City last week has told us is we need to upgrade.

7. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Should have signed Salah <cool>

armchairblue likes this.
  8. CFC: Champs £launderx17

They usually wait until they are past their best: Dochery, Sexton, Mou.

Or ruin them: Ray, Juan, Donkaku

armchairblue likes this.
  9. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

Knew he'd come good.......His final ball used to let him down,but so quick.

Skylarker likes this.
  10. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Unless the opportunity to sign a truly special player comes along, I'd like to see Lingard nail down the right wing spot.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Lingard is in no way a right winger and does by far his best work floating about linking with the attack.
    He is also the first defender when the opposition have the ball, chasing down centre backs and keeper.

12. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Who would you put on the right ahead of him?

13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

We don't have right winger now Valencia plays as full back but, that doesn't mean we should just stick someone completely unsuitable there.

14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'd play Rashford right, Martial left.

Lingard is more a ten, behind the striker, but even then Mata is better.

I've absolutely nothing against Lingard, bar the twatting about and silly ****ing dances, but the truth is he's a slight notch below the top quality we need there.

Cracking squad player though. Also local and red, that's a plus.

Mahrez would be a great signing as an out and out winger, definitely. No harm in having many options, this is exactly what City have.

The trouble is, Guardiola is clearly a charmer and can keep everyone happy.
    The exact opposite to Mourinho.

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Rashford started as a RW but is clearly more effective from the left or through the middle (as is Martial).
    Mata has played RW for us but again is wasted there, it is pointless sticking a player in a position where his influence is dramatically reduced.

16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, true enough. Not sure I agree Rashford is better off the left but yeah, the actual truth is he's better through the middle. Matrial I think though is very effective from the left.

Which means Mahrez would be a good fit.
    Whether it's being considered is another thing.

Diego likes this.
  17. gav81

gav81 Active Member

I'm not sure if you're saying Lingard can't play on the right or that he's ineffective there. His favoured position is through the middle but he's versatile across the attacking line and has played right midfield/forward plenty of times under Van Gaal and Mourinho.

One of my favourite goals of last season came from a Lingard break down the right...

18. King Shergar

I think it's a little unfair to say Lingard is below the quality we require, as the majority of times he's had opportunities in the side, he's made and scored goals. He also gives us that added energy and pace, which most other typical number 10s do not.

Lingards biggest problem has been getting the opportunities, but I think if he is given a prolonged run in the side people will begin to appreciate what he brings to the side.

Besides there isn't really a number 10 who is going to be available in January who I would say is significantly better than Lingard.

19. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It's based on a direct comparison between him and De Bruyne/David Silva and what our aspirations are.

Do we want to catch and compete with them or are we all happy with being second now? If the answer is we want to match them then Lingard is just below the required standard but is a very useful squad player, that's just a simple fact. He isn't in the same bracket as those two.

He can stay in the side for me, that's fine, but we would indeed need to buy Mahrez, as well as Bale and Kroos for instance, for him to be comfortable in the team with better players around him.

For all this notion that Guardiola has improved a lot of layers in the City squad, the truth is he's improved the whole team by default everyone just plays/looks better.

We need to improve our first team and then we've got a top squad.

20. King Shergar

De Bruyne and Silva are completely different players to Lingard, playing in a different side playing a different way.

De Bruyne is probably the best player in the world on current form this season, so it's rather unfair to compare Lingard to him. It's a little like City fans saying they need to sell Ederson to compete with us, as we've got De Gea.

Lingard is a class player and will improve if given a prolonged run in the side, and to be fair to him since he's had his little run in the side recently he's actually been our best player, so maybe we should be talking about replacing most of the others before we worry about replacing him.

A De Bruyne type player is not going to be available to us in January anyways, and the players that are likely to be available aren't going to be any major improvement on what we already have.

So I think we give Lingard til the end of the season, and judge him after that, as I think he will suprise a lot of people by how well he does. Let's not forget De Bruyne was sold by Chelsea, as he was never given the opportunity to show what he could do.