1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If it wasn't for bad luck,we'd have no luck at all.

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Hamstring injury - out for 6 weeks (with our medical facilities, that will probably turn in to 6 months). This one might be at least partly on the player as he didn't look fit when he returned but even so, how can we get this many injuries & no one (apart from the fans) is asking what the route cause of this is

2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

We probably need to look at getting another striker in or look at changing formation at some point, as Hawkins is probably the only player we have who can play the lone striker role. We've got Sears and Jackson but they are much better in a 2 uptop.

Whilst its good to have consistency in line up and formation etc. I think it is naive to think we will stick with 433 all season, particularly based on our recent injury record plus form of players, think we'll see 442 or a 532 at some point

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  3. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I am sure that us lot on here could go into club and volunteer to do far better job at all aspects of training and injury re-hab! Does anyone sit on the fan panel who attends club meetings and able to ask the obvious questions?

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

It is quite incredible. I think the simple question does need asking of Paul Lambert, what on Earth is going on here?

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Regards Norwood I’ve concluded the only reason we were able to sign such supposedly prolific goal scorer was that he wasn’t fit and prone to sick notery!

6. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much the story of the past 4 years at ITFC isn't it? Talented players but all sick notes

Nuggets and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  7. Southcoastoldgaffer

But how best can we mere mortals who have seen this blindingly obvious weakness for last 5 yrs, make the Ask, other than barnstorming club Zoom meetings, or, write letters to both chairman & PL? I am happy to draft such a letter and share.

8. Bigalreigned

Is it too much to expect the Club to assign some minion to monitor social media such as this site and report back?

I don’t expect them to relay verbatim the dog’s abuse some players or managers have been subject to in the past,but at least they could be given the gist and steered towards rebuilding their relationship!?

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Difficult at the moment because none of the dinners are happening. Paul Lambert always strikes me as someone who will be defensive and confrontational so the old pros are probably a better bet to give you a straight answer and get the message across.

Pointless to ask a public question in an audience scenario because you will get a diplomatic answer and I think it will be the PR department opening the mail.

If we are writing a letter make it an open letter and address it also to Phil @ TWTD, Kieron Dyer, John Wark, Mick Mills and others.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  10. Southcoastoldgaffer

Good point, BigAl, and I think most discussion on here over the years has been well considered, informed, passionate, and from a bunch of fans who probaly have more experience & knowledge about the game on and off the pitch than the entire ITFC outfit!

Bigalreigned likes this.

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

Agreed. Good idea Hampy. I will draft and cirulate a letter we can use, get comments & tweeks if people wish to personalise them, post them to names you suggest and copy to the EADT ect.

12. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Nobody at the club is going to listen to any criticism from outside of the club. Look at the 'fingers in ear' celebrations that our players are doing after scoring, even the club captain Chambers and long-term Town players like Bishop are doing it after scoring. They've been asked what that means and they dodged the question but implied it was about the criticism they received last season. Now I'm sure some of the players got outright abuse and slander last season - which is never warranted, these guys are human beings too - but if they're too precious to take on constructive criticism, then I do fear for their mental fortitude. If they can't take justified criticism from last season on the chin, when they won four games in 28 odd matches, then I truly fear for the next time we hit a bump in form.

If the club is trying to build a 'siege mentality' culture against social media trolls, the media, and critical supporters, then fine. But that only works if they continue to win games. An open letter is likely to just get lumped in with the wider criticism the team receives on social media. Ultimately, the club is too comfy and complacent, still stuck in the Mick McCarthy mindset of minimal expectations and scrappily punching above our weight. Sorry, but we're one of the biggest clubs in League One, with one of the biggest wage budgets, biggest number of fans, and biggest stadiums. Before last season, we had not played League One football for over half a century. Expectation for promotion should be par for the course right now.

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I don't much care how they do it if they do it. But they are not going to do it with so many key players perpetually injured.

Is there any statistical evidence that we have more injuries than we should expect? Or does it just feel that way to us because of our poor impression of the running of the club?

14. Bigalreigned

15. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Time for a.false #9
    2 goals in 26 in their 2nd team.....and has suffered one or two injury problems. He'll fit in absolutely fine then :)

Redruth, Nuggets, Spanish and 2 others like this.
  16. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Downes now back on the sick list 3 months. Conveniently takes him to January without having to play.

Genuinely don't remember the last time we had a fully fit first xi

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Skuse out for three more months... this is getting ridiculous.

18. Roystonblue

& the club come out with the same old rubbish "it's a freak injury" - no, something is rotten at the heart of this club. Whether it is the training facilities or the medical / sport science team. It's clear to everyone (apart from those in charge at our club) there is a major issue but no one does anything about it

19. Southcoastoldgaffer

Totally agree Hampy & RB. I shall now go about preparing a draft letter demanding to know what's going on. Shared with many on here and elsewhere, as well other ITFC forums. We are unclear to whom to address it, or post it as yet. But someone on here will have a good idea. We will be unable to attend any club supporter's meetings, tho, we need to get in touch with the supporter's club and get their support/endorsement for this action.

It is absurd, and seriously holding back our progress. At this rate we will be fielding our entire youth team.

Perhaps not such a bad idea!

20. Roystonblue

Lee O'Neill is supposed to be "General manager of football operations" No idea what he actually does apart from being the mouthpiece of Marcus Evans so maybe start with him