1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I smell Wessies

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Tigers piss on weeds, Jan 28, 2011.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Based on Tuesday nights performance, you'd have to say that 'Dull City' are a far better footballing team.

Luckily for you, we didn't put our team together until the Jan transfer window, or we'd be above you already.

If you lose Snotgrass, we'll pass you anyway, you're squad is thinner than the veneer on an Ikea shelf unit.

2. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

Have you seen our squad? We have plenty of strength in depth, the only area we are thin is central midfield and we're sorting that out in the loan market.

Hull fans can have a dig when they're actually above us, eh? Until then, go wind up some Scunny fans or Grimsby or something. They probably give a toss, unlike us.

3. McGregor HU5

McGregor HU5 Well-Known Member

I don't think your defence is about having lots of 'strength' in depth, you just don't have you don't have the strength there... also Becchio is overrated, you only threat is from the wing

4. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

I'd say our defence is perfectly capable.

LB: McCartney, Parker, Bromby, Bruce
    CB: O'Brien, Bruce, Bromby, (Kisnorbo), Naylor
    RB: Lichaj, Bromby, Bruce, (Connolly)

It's the central midfield where we don't have enough strength in depth (or, more accurately, strength itself in a physical sense).

Howson is an attacking midfielder.
    Kilkenny is a fairly short, non-tackling ballplayer.
    Johnson is a box-to-box midfielder without a great deal of footballing intelligence.
    Clayton is yet to be proven, but would appear to be more of an attacking force.

The notable absence above is someone who breaks up play and plays a simple pass. I'd be happy with Kilkenny to do that if he were capable of regularly putting a foot in but he doesn't appear to be.

How is Becchio overrated? 15 goals this season and people were saying that 10 would be a good return from him before it began. Look at the strikers around him in the Championship top scorers table and I'd say most of them were far more overrated than Becchio, who gets on with his work quietly and efficiently.

We do have a threat from the wing, but it is by no means our "only" threat. To do say that is to rule out Becchio who I've just shown is a good striker (not to mention Davide Somma who has one of the best strike rates in world football) and our captain Jonny Howson. He's had a superb season, his best yet, and you don't get called up to the England U21s squad for nothing. If our "only threat" was from the wing, then why are we top scorers in the Championship and why have so many players who aren't wingers scored so many goals which didn't involve the wingers whatsoever?