1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hypothetical managerial scenario

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by marcusblackcat, Jun 18, 2019.

1. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Let's put this hypothetical situation in front and gauge opinions:

Kevin Phillips has one OK decent season with someone (no better than their previous managers have done)

The job comes up at SAFC which, as we all know, seems to happen regularly.

He's obviously linked as he's a club legend... Who would want him? Honestly?

Only reason I'm asking this is cos of the whole Lampard scenario - the Chelsea fans wetting their pants over it and saying "He'll be great, he's done fantastic for Derby" when, in reality, he's done basically what their managers have been doing for the past 4 or 5 years - so he's done average.

If Phillips arrived here he'd obviously get my backing but, if things went south, chances are, although he may get more time than most from the fans, they will eventually turn on him as our vocal fans always dao - and his love for the fans up here and the reciprocated love will dissipate. I would hate that. I'd hate to think of Phillips as anything other than the hero he was for us (I never would to be fair)

Legends managing clubs does not always work (Shearer/Newcastle anyone - although that was all "Mike Ashley's fault")

2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I've long wanted him as an assistant manager as we know he can do that but it'd be too much of a risk imo for him to take the top job.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  3. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

If Kevin Phillips proved himself to be a good manager elsewhere then I'd want him as our manager, no doubt about it. I wouldn't want him coming here early in his managerial career for the reasons that you give.

I don't think Lampard will last long at Chelsea. He might get a bit longer than someone else because of his status at the club but he's not shown himself to be anything amazing at Derby and Chelsea will demand success. He's got the potential transfer ban to deal with, a demanding owner (although Abramovich appears to have lowered his expectations a little bit), and a recent history of winning something almost every season. All of that will weigh heavy on an inexperienced manager.

4. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Good question MBC. Agree with you on all points but can I just hi jack the post and ask if not Ross or Phillips who realistically can/could we get or who would you want?
    Personally I would still like Keane back here but is he more old school now?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Let SKP cut his managerial teeth elsewhere and prove he's up to the job then I'd take him in a heartbeat.
    However JR will get us promoted next season cos if he doesn't I think we'll be looking for a new manager.
    No pressure then Jack.. Who'd be a manager eh.

6. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

A
    Aye it would be much better if Kev learnt his trade in the basement leagues, Oh just a minute <laugh>

gelders pie likes this.
  7. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Lampard cannot manage Chelsea at this time, no experience like Soljaer ? at Man u, super Kev would be great as assistant, but Jack is our manager and that is that, who knows with huge investment we may have Jose/Sam in the future, the fact is since 2001 we should have continously been in the top 6 and won a couple of cups by now and Reid should still be in charge, but with poor owners and signings etc we are here AGAIN. Well i will prepare for the sarcasm to come my way but you know i am right.

8. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Not from me my good man, I agree 100%!!

9. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

No sarcasm from me - but Reid is a dinosaur now monty! No way should or would he still be in charge. I agree with everything else you've said though

10. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Nigel Adkins ahead of this boring , negative numpty please. He'll be gone before Halloween, had his chance this year and spunked it .

11. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Why would you keep him ?>. Oh cos we change to often so keep a numpty ! I forgot <party>

12. The Norton Cat

Adkins ahead of Jack Ross?!

marcusblackcat likes this.
  13. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

There’s a few on Twitter saying similar. Crazy. Nothing against Adkins but we have no reason to get rid of Ross. Did a decent job considering. This is his big season

The Norton Cat likes this.
  14. The Norton Cat

Adkins is decent enough but I don't see him doing anything other than keeping a team solidly mid table.
    Jack Ross will do us fine. I don't get the negative label that people want to stick on him. He's had to play more defensively in the second half of the season because of the circumstances he's found himself in. You can't play open, attacking football if you don't have the players to do it.