1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hungarian GP Thread (the lazy version)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by allsaintchris., Jul 27, 2018.

?

Who is Hungary for victory?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2018.
  1. Hamilton

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Bottas

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Vettel

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Kimi

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Ricciardo

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Mad Max

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Anyone from teh rest of the field as they stand no chance so little point in putting anyone else up

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Yep .

Penalties need to be introduced that fit the crime that is committed AT THE TIME of the incident .

Seems they are incapable of doing that , or don’t want to do it , I know what my money is on .

2. Number 1 Jasper

Fair enough .

Then make the penalties that exist harsher , or in today’s incident where the penalty was decided After the race , apply the penalty to the next race ?

3. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

In not a fan of carrying over penalties either. Is should be applied to the event where possible.

4. Number 1 Jasper

Nor am I , but it is an option . I was talking about ones , like today’s , where the decision is made after the race , the stewards would have known it would not affect the drivers ( in this case Valtteri ) race position , so what punishment has he received ?

5. SgtBhaji

I think the real debate this weekend should be how Ferrari managed to completely throw away what should have been a fairly routine weekend as far a maximum points are concerned. Ballsed it up on all counts really.

dhel and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  6. Number 1 Jasper

Anyone think Renault might not be giving the engines they supply to RBR , quite the quality check they should be ?

Or is it just me <whistle>

7. SgtBhaji

Well.. you could hardly blame them...

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  8. Number 1 Jasper

Oh I agree 8 Championships and next to zero praise for Renault , then when things turn sour ......

9. SgtBhaji

Not really good form to just totally crap on a brand like that either.... If that engine comes good and they leave RBR high and dry, it'll be their own bloody fault.

10. Number 1 Jasper

Luckily for RBR it looks like Honda are sorting themselves out .

11. Number 1 Jasper

I wonder if the passing of the head man had a greater effect than might be imagined . I would like to think not , but understandable if it did .

12. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I don’t thing VB had the best race, but really, he gets over criticised for being too placid, then when he gets his elbows out there’s people saying he should be banned.

dhel, easynic150 and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  13. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Who was it that they randomly gave a penalty to twice last year because they felt the first wasn’t enough - think it was Grosjean?

14. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Definitely stupid. Vettel had the position and was a tad nieve but Bottas should have backed out.

I think the 2nd one was more of a racing incident. Numerous times we have seen racers on old tyres under steering into the other going round the outside. It was inevitable, and even Horner saw it coming.

15. SgtBhaji

I wouldn't have thought it would. There just isn't really a truly clinical team left on the grid. All good at leading from the front, can't really think on their feet most of the time.

16. Number 1 Jasper

Yep .

The fact he said he hoped VB didn’t under steer into DR was , imho at least , a genuine LOL moment <laugh>

Did anyone hear what he said when the cars collided ?

17. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

they didn't really balls it up, Merc just got lucky with their car and setup working better in the damp of Q3, if it hadn't rained it probably would've been a Ferrari 1-2.

18. SgtBhaji

Well... I'll admit I've been a bit distracted of late and didn't get to watch the race as closely as possible... but there was a pretty good opportunity to pit Vettel a little earlier than they did, which would have put Vettel ahead of Bottas, which might have somehow made that stop shorter than it was, which would have wound up with him not being dumped behind Bottas. Maybe then he could have attacked HAM. This is all despite somehow not managing to not take pole on a track that they really should have. I get that rain in the great equalizer and all that, but they fluffed it across the board. They were even reluctant to let Kimi try disrupt Bottas.

Can't help but feel that Ferrari were, well... a bit Ferrari today.

19. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

I agree with your comment about where the real story of this race is. Ferrari did not deliver when the race was in their hands...not in qualifying or the race. Also not many people here complimented Hamilton on a really great drive...took the Ultras in unexpected Mercedes territory and kept the pace up throughout the race. Somehow I doubt whether Vettel would have challenged Hamilton enough to overtake even if he had jumped Bottas. Bottas on way older tyres kept Vettel out and around DRS range where he had to take wider lines to get clean air...Maybe he would have gotten closer to Hamilton in the last few laps, but I doubt he would have been able to pass with his Ultra starting to die trying catch up to Hamilton. I think it was a tactical race by Mercedes to capitalise on a track where they were expected to be 3rd best team.

ched999uk likes this.
  20. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

It was also a bit strange from Red Bull. OK so Max had bad luck (or is it bad installation) and Riccy did well to finish where he did after a poor quali session and a poor start. I think they were expecting a better weekend.
    I too think Merc did well. OK so the wet quali helped get them on front row but it was the drivers who managed to keep it on the track. They managed to get a good start and kept the faster Ferraris behind which does show again the difficulty in getting close due to aero.

It was quite a good race but not as good as it could have been :)