1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Hull City Winter Transfers Thread

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, Dec 14, 2014.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

You always say that. it's utter bollocks, nobody has bid for any of our players this window, it doesn't mean they're all ****.

2. Meyho

Meyho Active Member

His contract ran out, we didn't offer him an extension. ****ing moron. <doh>

3. TigerRoo

TigerRoo Well-Known Member

We're not talking about our Premier League players Madge, we're talking about Simpson and he was cr@p!

4. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Re the injury list, for a start I think a lot of the injuries our players have suffered are modern injuries that just didn't exist in the old days. Now there are more injuries to get, the chances of getting one are higher.

Another thing is players were just a lot harder than they are today. Wind the clock back 50 years and James Chester would have carried on with a dislocated shoulder til play went out, he'd have had it popped back in on the sidelines then carried on til the end and played the next game too.

I also think the physical stress on the body has increased somewhat, probably down to the advancement of technology and sports science, and players carrying a niggle can't keep up with the game as well as being more at risk of further injury.

50 years ago a player might have broken one leg and ruptured his ACL (if ACL injuries existed back then, I'm not sure they even knew that ligament existed) in the other and still would have played 90 minutes every Saturday and Tuesday.

5. TigerRoo

But WHY? Surely if he was as good as you say he would have got a contract extension plus there would have been a host of clubs after him. He was cr@p and finished up in Saigon or somewhere on 40 grand a month. Playing for Orient isn't he? Now who's the moron.:headbang:

DanKelly likes this.
  6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Presumably you think Stuart Elliot was ****, as we released him and got no money for him?

The league you're in is completely irrelevant, judging a players ability on simply how much someone offered for him is utter bollocks.

Pirlo, Baggio, Ballack, Larsson and Lewandowski all went on free transfers when their contracts expired.

7. Des Head

Des Head Well-Known Member

You do know that the game has changed in that time?

8. TigerRoo

I remember that when a player went down the trainer ran out with a bucket of water and a sponge! Slapped him in the face with it (the sponge, not the bucket) and he was as right as rain.:emoticon-0136-giggl
    The change came (and here I am open to correction) when the Brazilian medic ran on to the pitch with all sorts of paraphernalia strapped to his belt. He was questioned later and said that he did have the necessary equipment to carry out an appendectomy on the pitch!!!!:cheesy:
    I know what you are saying 'Hatty' and I can recall Manchester City's great German Goalkeeper, Bert Trautman playing most of an FA Cup final with what was later diagnosed to be a broken neck.
    I think it has a lot to do with training these days as the level of fitness at this level is off the planet.

9. TigerRoo

But they didn't finish up in Thailand did they Madge because they still had something to offer.
    Stuart Elliott was superb in the third tier but couldn't move up to the second tier with the same effect. Went to Scotland didn't he?
    You're not telling me that a player in the Premier League is on the same level as someone in the conference league - now that IS bollocks!
    A player with ability will be offered more money that a player who has no ability (like Simpson).

10. TigerRoo

No! Don't the Goalkeepers wear flat caps any more?<doh>
    It's back to front now Des, in my day we played with 5 forwards, 3 midfielders and 2 defenders - now they play with 5 defenders, 3 midfielders and 2 forwards.

11. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

He went to Doncaster, where he only managed nine league appearances, before being released two years later and it still didn't make him ****.

Jay Simpson was no world beater, nobody has ever claimed he was, but he played his part for us and he went to Thailand because it was the best offer he got, nobody else was going to offer him £5k a week.

12. TheCasual

TheCasual Well-Known Member

You only judge a striker on his goal scoring record.

I've given you examples why you're wrong, but you still keep harping on about scoring records.

As for no one makings offers. No one made a offer for Ronaldo, does that make him crap?

13. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Why would there? 6 goals and 4 assists (which are as important as goals, can't have one without the other unless it's' a solo goal) is a decent amount for a forward. A striker's effectiveness can't be measured on just goals, not when they're expected contribute so much more in the modern game. When you started going (judging by what you said in another post), it was a striker's job to score goals and that's it. But that isn't the case anymore, not at all. Strikers are now expected to be hold up players, target men, defensive forwards and all sorts of other roles. You've come to expect strikers to simply belt goals in left, right and centre but you have to understand that the game has evolved so much that you're view on strikers is really, really out dated.

Simpson was a necessary cog in our promotion season and to suggest otherwise is insanity, I went to nearly every game that season and even in the games we lost he did so well playing alongside Aluko (and Gedo). He brought Koren (our top scorer that season) into play so many times, in fact I'd wager most of Koren and Aluko's goals came from him. I'd go as far to say that had Simpson not played, we wouldn't have been promoted, simple as that.

You call Proschwitz a flop and you're bang on, but I reckon that's because you look at the goals he scored (or didn't), rather than the fact he just didn't contribute anything to the rest of the team. Forgetting their goalscoring records, look at the way both Altidore and Mclean played; one was a unit we used to bring JvoH into play and one was a nippy, terrier like player who forced defenders into mistakes and brought Fryatt in. Their returns weren't great, but that's because they were played for a different reason. You're already reading that and shaking your head, but it's true. It's probably easier to call them forwards, rather than strikers. You always claim that the management know best when you're asked to name transfer targets who'd be better, so isn't it a bit hypcritical of you to then slate their decisions for choosing forward players who perform different roles?

At their current rate, Hernandez will finish on about 8 and Jelavic somewhere in double figures (assuming we sort out the creativity bit). If they score goals and do nothing else, ie list lazily around their box expecting miracles from their team mates, then that's not the making of a good striker. I'll say it again, there's far more to a striker's game these days than goals and you'll be hard pressed to find an expert in the game who disagrees with me.

PLT and Kempton like this.
  14. Steven Toast

I wish I'd read this first, it'd have saved me 5 mins of typing!! <laugh>

15. TheCasual

Don't worry I enjoyed it. It wasn't lost on me :emoticon-0100-smile

I can't remember the last world class centre forward who was 'just' a goal scorer. Van Nistellrooy?

Bayern, Barca and Spain have proved in recent years by using midfielders in 'false 9' roles you have do more then 'just' score goals.

16. TigerRoo

Fellers, we have scored 20 goals from 23 games and lie in a relegation spot yet you keep singing the praises of players who 'contribute'! We need a (expletive deleted) GOALSCORER for Gawds sake! A deaf, dumb and blind person can see that!
    Your arguments supporting 'other roles' 'false 9's' and generally taking my posts out of context are ridiculous. Then you compare Hull City to Bayern, Barca and Spain - are you serious? One of their players is worth more than our entire team!
    What reason do you think N'Doye has been brought in for? To play alongside Dawson? He's been brought in to score some much needed goals because our current strikers aren't doing it. Was Hernandez brought in to f@rt@rse around? No, we paid 10 million quid expecting him to score goals! He looked like the Messiah we craved for in his first games scoring 2 very good goals (and a penalty) then he died in the @rse!
    Yes, we need to 'sort out the creativity bit' all right Sterling and your quote:
    "If they score goals and do nothing else, ie list lazily around their box expecting miracles from their team mates, then that's not the making of a good striker. I'll say it again, there's far more to a striker's game these days than goals and you'll be hard pressed to find an expert in the game who disagrees with me".
    is totally beyond me. "If they score goals and do nothing else . . .then that's not the making of a good striker" Are you serious! I will wager that Hull City fans wouldn't give a monkey's toss if he had a cr@p in the middle of the pitch every quarter of an hour as long as he scored a goal or two on a regular basis! They would prefer someone who 'just scored goals' rather than 'f@rt@rsing' around.

17. Steven Toast

They probably would prefer somebody who can score 30 goals, my point was that it isn't how football works anymore. Games for clubs like ours are won by hook or crook, ideally mostly 1-0 wins, getting what we can until we are established. It isn't up to the fans, it's up to the management and they probably realise that there's more to the modern forwards game than simply scoring goals. N'Doye has been brought in not only to score goals, but also for his ability to hold the ball up and bring other players into striking positions.

Of course my quote is beyond you, you seem to be watching football from a different era. If you continue to view forwards in this vein, you're going to be continually disappointed by how ours play and this argument will keep cropping up and you'll keep wondering why we all think one way and you still think it's all about the goals. You do understand the difference between a goalscorer and a forward don't you?

18. TigerRoo

Yes, of course I do, and we appear to have a handful of 'forwards' and no 'goalscorers' - I note that you avoid the word 'striker'!
    Goals win games. We have to score goals.
    I watch our team week after week with an attack coming down one wing only to run into a brick wall so the ball is passed back to a defender who passes the ball into the middle who then passes it to the other winger who runs into another brick wall so passes back . . etc., etc., etc.. I believe this is called 'possession' football. We need wingers who can take on their man, get past him and then get the ball into the middle. Elmo, when he has the measure of his man, can do this with his pace and is considered to be one of the best crossers of the ball there is but this is proving to be few and far between at this level.
    I realize that we are not going to get a great 'striker' at this level but we have to do better than 20 goals from 23 games - Aston Villa certainly prove your 1-0 theory as they are above us with an appalling 11 goals yet have conceded more than us.
    Nice to discuss this subject with you without either of us resorting to the 'F' and 'C' Bombs.

19. TheCasual

No one has said we don't need to score more goals. But it still doesn't change the fact you have to contribute in other areas and therefore you are judge on more then just the scoring record.

Doesn't it tell you something even world class teams can't get away with strikers who don't contribute in other areas?

Hernandez was MOTM against Everton, but didn't score. But he everything a forward should do.

20. TigerRoo

Yes, I have seen Rooney clear off his own line and send the ball down the right wing. He then chased all the way down the pitch and met the cross 'first touch' and scored. I do understand what 'contributing' to the team means. We will never get 'strikers' with that sort of ability to come to us as the bigger teams will offer them much more. I have seen Jelly screaming for the ball in the box only to see him totally ignored - mainly by Aluko who would 'go for glory' every time - and this is simply a lack of cohesion between midfield and forwards. I am saying that we have to do better and start scoring goals. This is a herculean task just now as we have a capable striker who is being starved and another who (more often than not) seems to be on a different planet when he comes on to the pitch and he is NOT doing what a forward should do and that is SCORE!
    Injuries have decimated us this season and I still believe we have the players to make a formidable team capable of cementing our place in the third quarter but we are lacking something (someone) up front and I am hoping that N'Doye can supply that. I think this bloke will link with Diame when he gets back but will it be too late?