1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Hull City v Coventry

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Oct 29, 2021.

?

City win?

1. City win

2. Draw

3. Coventry

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

My father was a believer in this but my mother was not!

Ernie Shackleton likes this.
  2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I girl I know has to use 'my window' 'your window' for directions.

3. StubbDave

StubbDave Active Member

4. StubbDave

StubbDave Active Member

Meant to say that inability to distinguish left and right can often be linked to left handedness, ie thinking of the main hand as the right hand.

5. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

Fml we've gone from 433, 4231,352,442, to a version of the chuckle brothers left window right window me to you, you to me .. only on here lmao .. fk me I love this place

6. x

x Well-Known Member

i have a stuffed tiger, about 4" tall, (tigers getting stuffed is never a good thing) that usually sits on an old notebook with a stuffed pg tips monkey and a hull city badge. poor form often results in their relocation in hope of a change in results. i have just relocated them from where they were all last season, but possibly a lot of the season before too. and some more seasons before. anyway, expect us to rocket up the table any time now.

the notebook contains some match reports, so here, fyi. are details from one of them, which was 25 years and two days ago.

tue 29 10 96
    hull c (0) 1 v cardiff (1) 1
    nationwide d3; 1st 1/2 towards n stand; cool; att 2775

carroll 1
    trevitt 2 allison 4 dewhurst 5 wright 6 rioch 3
    gilbert 10 joyce 7 peacock 11
    robbie turner 8 darby 9

subs
    12 greaves (for #4, ht) 13 quigley (for #2, 32min), 14 brown

0-1 16min
    1-1 90min gilbert - cracker

uninspiring, better in last 10

i don't remember much about kenny gilbert, nor his cracker of a goal. don't remember much about robbie turner either. greaves senior played off the bench.

7. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

I counted 4 headers in the first half that Eaves won from long balls, 4 flick ons that went to precisely ****ing nobody because there was no one near him, no one running off him. Absolute waste of time playing him as a lone striker, waste of time pumping long balls up to him, just a complete waste of time in general.

8. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

So, getting back on track, it was a 5 3 2 then?

I vaguely remember Robbie Turner, but didn't recall him being a striker. Edit: after a quick google ... no, I don't remember him. 5 games on loan, 6'3" striker. Not the 'Robbie' I was thinking of!

9. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Agreed. It’s the same every game when we play one centre forward. I don’t understand the thought process behind it? If you play two centre forwards, then it works - one to win the ball and one to play off him. Unfortunately, I’ve never really seen us do that under McCann.

askewshair likes this.
  10. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

I thought that was the idea of signing the Vardy like Smith...

11. Jackthecap

Jackthecap Well-Known Member

Ultimately you can't 'kick' a ball (according to laws of game) wih two feet at once.

12. Jackthecap

Jackthecap Well-Known Member

Spot on. There's nobody at the club to my mind who is capable as the other striker with Eaves. It's a fundamental problem. From what we've seen from T Smith he hasn't a clue and seems hell bent on being as far away from his strike partner as he can. He doesn't understand how. KLP isn't that sort of player either and as for JM and Wilks............ I don't see anybody in the squad or in u23s who could play that role. Billy Chadwick maybe but that's a stretch.

13. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

I disagree. I see KLP as exactly that sort of striker, or as a lone Vardy type.
    And as for Smith, I'd say we haven't seen enough of him to know. It normally takes time for a partnership to click (unless it's Altidore and Ghilas obvs).

I totally agree with the other comments about the nonsense of McCann's 'logic' with what he's been trying with Eaves or Magennis in the front 3.

14. pierredelafranchesca

pierredelafranchesca Well-Known Member

Going to disagree with just one little element on this....in the sense that it's not the same every game as when Eaves isn't up top, we rarely win any flick ons, but yes, we do play one up top, pump it to them and then as fans slag the **** out of which ever of them isn't miraculously bringing the ball down out of the sky, controlling it, maintaining possession whilst surrounded by 2-3 defenders with no other City player within 10 yards of them. Every striker we've had for the past 2 years has been on the receiving end of abuse over being **** when the simple truth is we don't play to any of their strengths.

15. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I don't think it's impossible that a front 3, or 2 could work with our squad. At the moment it's just whatever we try comes to nothing. When we bang it up to Eaves/Magennis, they're isolated and can't do anything with it. They rarely win the header anyway. When we play out from the back, we typically don't get further than the back four before we've ****ed it up and been forced into an under-pressure backpass. When we play Tyler Smith down the middle we can't get the ball anywhere near him. We just aren't very good at anything on the ball at the moment. I don't think it's impossible to sort out but I don't think McCann can do it.