1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

I recall (from school!) that the flow depth switches sides of the estuary, swinging over to the Grimsby/Immingham side. Just came across this as an illustration:
    please log in to view this image

2. dazzar86

dazzar86 Well-Known Member

I've always thought a terminal at Albert Dock would be ideal - develop it from the bullnose down.

Plenty of land down there to develop, but as I imagine the council chose not to keep the land owned by 'Hull Forward' when it was scrapped, and was instead sold to Spencers, they're probably preferring land they can maximise profit from, which isn't actually the best option. There is also plenty of ABP land down there too.

They could also knock down the dilapidated old ice arena for more land, and build a new one in the city centre where it would gain better 'passing trade' for daytime ice skating and events. It's currently rundown, out on a limb and massively underutilised.

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I think you're right, but I'm trying to remember the reasons why that was felt impractical. I'm fairly sure the works in expanding the width and depth were part of it, particularly at the entrance. Plus it's still a relatively active dock, but I guess those activities could be catered for, or the cruise port could possibly sit estuary side, as is proposed at Viccy Dock.

Then again, I could be confusing some of the bits with the considerations for the aircraft carrier.

4. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

No, Dutch, not inside Albert Dock, but on the outside. Riverside Quay

There could be the depth as there is outside QE Dock for the ferries. The ferries are in the river, because it was easier than trying to reconstruct the locks.

GLP likes this.
  5. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Trust the COC2017 people will be planning summat for Wembley Way next Sat, even if it's only 'A Dead Owl' t shirts.

6. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Hubris!!

7. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Hubba hubba!

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Hull Uni taking full advantage of the City of Culture (advert in Manchester Piccadilly Station)...

9. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

Sorry to be pedant OLM, but it is not the University of Hull, it is Hull College!

10. Bigelow

Bigelow Well-Known Member

That's Hull College

11. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

It's not really transfer news either, if we are being brutally honest.

Polly13 and Lincoln Tiger like this.
  12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

That's because I had two tabs open and I posted it on the wrong one. <doh>

Now rectified.

13. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The pedants are revolting...

14. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

To keep the pedantry going...

Don't believe that you can study a degree. You can study for a degree but surely studying a degree would involve staring very intently at 1/360th of a circle.

Or summat.

Hull: 2017 UK City of Pedantry.

Actually, make that Kingston Upon Hull: 2017 UK City of Pedantry.

15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

The City and County of Kingston upon the River Hull. <ok>

16. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Its a shame that more thought wasnt given to rebuild a lot of bombed buoldings and placing more emphasis on the old town
    Maybe they could have routed the main road through Hull slightly further north in the city centre.
    This would have kept the docks / old town area together.
    Mind you it could have been a lot worse.
    I saw a plan of the Abercrombie plan and that would have been disastrous.
    At least we still retain some nice buildings.!

17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Hull secures £32-million for UK City of Culture 2017 celebrations
    By Hull Daily Mail | Posted: September 16, 2016

By Angus Young

• A whopping £32m will be spent in Hull during the UK City of Culture 2017 year.

The figure is nearly double the original £18m funding target set after the city's successful bid three years ago. And it dwarfs the £20m budget Derry raised as host for the previous City of Culture celebrations in 2013.

Hull City of Culture chief executive Martin Green said: "It is a massive vote of confidence in Hull and allows us to deliver everything we said we would - with knobs on.

"It gives us a fantastic opportunity to reach out to everyone in the city and invite them to get involved."

The budget for 2017 includes financial support from 61 organisations and companies. It includes the initial £3.6m grant from Hull City Council pledged as part of the bid as well as the funding from the 22 original so-called Bid Angels, who backed the bid with sponsorship.

Since then, funding has been secured from Arts Council England and the Heritage Lottery, as well as local firms such as Arco, Smith & Nephew and MKM Building Supplies.

More news: 'How did they get away with it?' Mystery of missing giant sign

Mr Green said: "We are just overjoyed to have received this kind of support. When I was appointed the £18m target was already set but I always thought we could do better than that.

"I never put a new target out there but privately I thought we should aim for £30m. I thought getting £25m would be good in the current financial climate and knew we would nail it with £30m so to end up with £32m is wonderful."

How will the funding be spent?
      • Just over £20m spent on events and activities.
      • More than £5m invested in volunteering, learning and legacy and community engagement.
      • £1.6m on legacy projects beyond 2017 as well as creating a contingency budget for unexpected costs.

With details of the early part of the 2017 programme due to be released next week, Mr Green said persuading people to give financial backing had been relatively easy.

"We have been blown away by the high levels of support out there," he said. "A lot of it was about the confidence generated by the success of the bid and everything that has followed that.

"This funding has come to the city thanks to the initial investment by the council as well as the people of Hull who got behind the bid.

"Without that strong commitment it would not have been possible to raise the funds necessary to deliver the unparalleled programme we are announcing next week."

He said the council's strong initial support had helped secure funding from a range of other organisations.

"The council's support was crucial because it encouraged others to have confidence in what we were doing," he said. "That £3.6m investment has generated a return of 9:1 which ain't bad in anyone's books."

Council leader, Councillor Steve Brady, said: "I think people will be staggered when they see this figure of £32m. It is a great return on our investment in the City of Culture and I am proud of the part we have played in this."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/32-m...tory-29720210-detail/story.html#ixzz4KPB8MrT9

GLP and Sir Cheshire Ben like this.
  18. Polly13

Polly13 Well-Known Member

Martin Green likes stuff with knobs on :emoticon-0102-bigsm

19. Polly13

Polly13 Well-Known Member

Only 6 days before we find out what's been programmed for the first part of 2017...

GLP likes this.
  20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

This has just gone up in Paragon Station, I wonder if the spacing was sorted by the same bloke who did City's badge?