1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Great story. What happened? He was born in Jerusalem, after all..<laugh> As I said before, it is surprising how many great Jewish songwriters there are considering how few Jews there are. They seem to catch onto what Americans wantbto hear in music.
    Young was involved in lot of hits as a writer and producer.

2. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Long story but the guts of it are this. He lives in Oxfordshire, not too far from me. He was coming to my house to meet some other friends, his car broke down en-route. I went to pick him up and he wanted to tip the breakdown truck driver but, lo and behold, he had no cash. This is how the rich get richer and the poor get shafted. :emoticon-0105-wink:

Nice fella though.

Barchullona likes this.
  3. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

Send this to that stupid bint mother in North Shields, hopefully her head will explode at the thought of being locked up in chains.

4. Barchullona

True. A Friend of mine spent all afternoon once talking to Mick Jagger at Lords. He said hexwas verybfriendly and enjoyed talking about cricket and seem pleased not one person mentioned music.Only when he had gone did he realise the only person who hadn't bought a round was Jagger.
    Though Rod Stewart,renowned for tight fistedness, bought a group of us a vodka each, when he was with Steampacket. Which impressed our bunch of 16 and 17 year olds no end.

5. Barchullona

This song by Goffin/King about a kiss would have her in meltdown. Written because Little Eva, who babysat for them, was regularly beaten up by her boyfriend but told them it was because he loved her so much.

6. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Actually Arnold it's not her thing but mentioned Bryan Adams and Bon Jovi then that's a different matter, she went to see Adams at the KC and, as it has done often, it pissed down all the way through. She told me the crowd were shouting out for more at the end and he said something along the lines of 'more? you are all wet through and still want more?' so he did a couple of more songs, I never went. But the big bugbear was Bon Jovi who did that unexpected gig at the KC, and yes, it pissed down, I was working near the stadium at the time and some tickets were being sold for £20. I wasn't too fussed but I thought, why not? So I bought a ticket and went, to what turned out to be what I thought was a decent gig, although it appears not to the papers. Anyway the point is, Mrs Ref was away in Spain with her girlie friends, and didn't know about me buying a ticket, until that is I rang her in Spain and told her to listen to her phone. She thought I had a record, or radio on, until I told her that I was sat in the KC rocking along with Bon Jovi, I still wind her up about today. :emoticon-0136-giggl

Arnold_Lane_HCFC likes this.
  7. C'mon ref

A few years ago there was an oldies gig at the City Hall, Brian Hyland and others, one of the others was Little Eva, unfortunately by this time she was anything but little. She did 'Locomotion' but I'm afraid it looked out of place in the circumstances, she died a few years ago I think.

8. Barchullona

One of my lads went to the Bryan Adams gig. Not his cup of tea and only went because his mate had a spare VIP ticket through work. He really enjoyed it, much to his surpise I think, and thought Bryan Adams gave a very good performance.

C'mon ref likes this.
  9. Arnold_Lane_HCFC

Arnold_Lane_HCFC Well-Known Member

<applause><laugh>

C'mon ref likes this.
  10. C'mon ref

My wife was buzzing after that gig even though she got soaked through to her skin, I listen to her account of all the songs he played, and Summer of 69 along with Everything I do I do it for you, had her in raptures, they also happen to be the only songs that I know of his.

11. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

The locomotion always reminds me of Hull Fair, when it was a hit in the sixties was at a time when I took a young lady for the first time for a night out there, and they continually played it on the waltzers.

12. C'mon ref

But back to Carol King and as I have written I went to the musical last Wednesday afternoon, so like the guy in the advert who liked Remmington shavers so much he bought the company, hence I enjoyed the gig so much I went to New Theatre yesterday morning to check on any available tickets for the last performance last night. Lo and behold 1 ticket left second row from back so I booked it, and I spent another couple of hours savouring the sounds and songs from an era I loved so much. Another flawless performance from the whole cast but I felt that last night audience were a bit more responsive than Wednesday afternoons, even though the age groups attending were similar. Brilliant.

13. C'mon ref

A good song for the dance hall's as well John, Mecca/Locarno type thing but without Googling I can't remember what her follow up song was.

14. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

Very true, though in 1962 I was only 14, so it was a bit early for me to be frequenting Mecca, that came a bit later.

I read Little Eva's life story, really sad, she never came out with any money after she stopped singing in 71, and really lived in poverty for the rest of her days.

From WIKIpedia

"She continued to tour and record throughout the sixties, but her commercial potential plummeted after 1964. She retired from the music industry in 1971. She never owned the rights to her recordings. Although the prevailing rumor in the 1970s was that she had received only $50 for "The Loco-Motion," it seems $50 was actually her weekly salary at the time she made her records (an increase of $15 from what Goffin and King had been paying her as nanny). Penniless, she returned with her three young children to North Carolina, where they lived in obscurity.

C'mon ref likes this.
  15. Barchullona

Don't think it was the immediate follow up but she had a minor hit with "Let's Turkey Trot".
    I was 13 by then and had discovered blues music so my tastes by then were too sophisticated for that sort of stuff.<laugh>

16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

17. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

18. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

19. pcworks

pcworks Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this, he did a sold-out warm up show for this tour at the Welly Club in July, it was excellent, the average of the crowd must of been nearly 50!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  20. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Anyone know if the festivities will include the local involvement in the nativity story?

It's a documented fact that the three wise men are from these parts, and made one hell of a journey to be part of it.

"They came from the East Riding, on a camel."

#RESPECT.

Fez and Barchullona like this.