1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Is that one of them there naivity plays?

2. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Just Googled her and what a cracking lass she seems to be! Spot on award. <applause>

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Festive lights switch-on: Thursday 23 November: - 23/11/17

Spectators will be treated to a new-look celebration to kick-off the festive season. There will be:

• From 5pm, this new-look celebration to mark the start of the winter season in Hull will flood the streets around Queen Victoria Square, offering street entertainment, giveaways and surprises along the way.

• Visitors will be greeted with characters including stilt walkers dressed as a magical Snow Queen, white winter birds and a winter explorer, as well as impressive graphic poi spinning shows using stunning new LED technology. Musicians will play in Jameson Street, King Edward Street, King Edward Square and Queen Victoria Square, and there will be free glow sticks and snow flake head boppers for children.

• A spectacular ice sculpture centrepiece will be carved live by chainsaw in King Edward St into the shape of a sleigh, before visitors have the opportunity to hop on and have photographs taken with Father Christmas.

• For the first time in five years a new white LED light display will be unveiled across the city centre, providing 360 degrees of illumination to King Edward Street, Whitefriargate, Ferensway, Prospect Street and Jameson Street.

• A specially composed soundtrack by local musician and sound artist Jez riley French will play in Queen Victoria Square throughout the evening, with a crescendo at the moment the lights are switched from the steps of the Ferens Art Gallery. The soundtrack incorporates many of the sounds of winter in the north, from the falling of snow to the cracking of ice, to the ringing of reindeer bells and the sound of singing in the bleak forest. The work includes sounds gathered from Iceland, Norway, Sweden and the Sami people of the far north.

• At 6.30pm, the Lord Mayor of Kingston upon Hull and Admiral of the Humber, Councillor John Hewitt, will be joined by Daniel Carter, aged 6 from Bransholme, outside the Ferens Art Gallery to officially switch-on the lights and start the festive season.

• To join in the celebrations 50 of the city’s much-loved UK City of Culture volunteers will be on the Hull City Hall balcony, triggering an explosion of white across Queen Victoria Square.

• As the city lights up, a spectacular firework display will launch over Queen Victoria Square at 6.30pm.

• Nayan Kulkarni, the artist who presented ‘Blade’ to the world at the beginning of Hull’s year as UK City of Culture, has also been specially commissioned to bring a star-themed lighting scheme into Queen Victoria Square with Hull City Hall, Ferens Art Gallery and the Maritime Museum all decorated in light. Kulkarni is also working on permanent artistic lighting as part of Hull City Council’s UK City of Culture legacy programme, to be unveiled early in the New Year.

• A number of Christmas trees, kindly donated by the Forestry Commission, will feature in Queen Victoria Square

4. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Do you get up and brush past people 10 minutes before the interval to get your drink and come back 5 minutes into the second half, leaving before the end to avoid the traffic?<laugh>

5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

6. Barchullona

A naivity play? Is that one about people believing what Allam tells them?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    balkan tiger and Kempton like this.
  7. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Aye

8. Girt Bucket

Girt Bucket Well-Known Member

Is the Xmas lights switch on today?, I cannot find anywhere the actual date listed.<doh><doh>

9. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Yeah, 6:30pm.

Girt Bucket likes this.
  10. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Full details are only five posts before yours...

Girt Bucket likes this.

11. Girt Bucket

Girt Bucket Well-Known Member

So they bloody well are. A lazy streak a mile long. Cheers.

12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Good turnout last night...

PLT likes this.
  13. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Went tonight
    Absolutely ****ing brilliant <applause>

C'mon ref likes this.
  14. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

Quality show from a quality cast Dennis, glad you liked it, and yes your previous comment the 'interval' I didn't know about the pre ordering of food and drinks, I was surprised at how quickly the queue disappeared, now I know why. :emoticon-0148-yes:

dennisboothstash likes this.
  15. dennisboothstash

I was looking forward to it anyway, but it really was exceptional. And I’ll be honest although I vaguely knew she was a songwriter before Tapestry I didn’t appreciate how many massive hits she’d written so found the storyline fascinating too

City will have to go some to knock that off being the highlight of the weekend!!!

C'mon ref likes this.
  16. Barchullona

It was Carole, not Carol, King. Though her name originally Carol Klein. Neil Sedaka went out with her at school which is why his song was Oh!Carol, not Oh!Carole. Bit of useless trivia for you.<laugh>

Us oldies grew up to a background in the early 1960s of Goffin/King numbers, starting with Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. Which few realised at the time, was a warning about promiscuity and one night stands. Funny how many great songwriters have been Jewish incidentally. Although in those days people didn't take much notice of who wrote the songs. Only later did you realise how prolific some were.
    Funny enough the two Carole King songs I don't like are on Tapestry, You've Got A Friend and It's Too Late. For some reason I find them depressing. Especially the James Taylor dirge.
    Anyway, a Goffin/King number which was one of my favourites on the first Beatles LP.

17. Arnold_Lane_HCFC

Arnold_Lane_HCFC Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you didn't say to her 'C'mon ref'

Still what goes on behind closed doors .........

C'mon ref likes this.
  18. dennisboothstash

Which would have been very useful had I not just been to see a play about her life story...

19. Barchullona

They might not have mentioned it though. These shows often embellish or omit things. The Jolson Story being a classic example.

Anyway, just being flipping through Goffin/King numbers and this is one of my favourites. The brilliant Rudly Lewis, whom as lead on Up on The Roof, on vocals. He was found dead the day before they were due to record Under The Boardwalk.

20. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Bloke who co-wrote that, Kenny Young, I've met him and what's more I lent him a fiver which he never paid back.

What d'you think of that as a claim to fame?:emoticon-0105-wink:

Kempton likes this.