1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

i wonder if we are all suffering from 'Culture fatigue'? I know the first 6/7 months, I went to everything. The odd things I have tried since, I couldn't get tickets. I guess it takes a lot of events to fill a year. I must admit I was disappointed by the summer holiday events. Having experienced Edinburgh Festival, I assumed it would be a mini version of that, with loads of entertainment throughout the day everyday. In hindsight, we would never generate sufficient numbers of attenders to support those, but I did expect more and do get the feeling the programme for the last two quarters has tailed off?
    And that is the first negative comment I have made about the City if Culture which I totally embraced for the first half and thought it was absolutely fantastic.

2. Dills double deckers

Dills double deckers Well-Known Member

Its a fair point. There has been some great stuff and im sure some to come. Keeping ideas fresh is some doing.

3. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I hope that's temporary

4. lewisc29

lewisc29 Idiot

What is it OLM?

Is that finished?

5. mplooney

mplooney Well-Known Member

It is

6. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Patio heaters.

7. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

8. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen Flood Part 4 yet? I'm going tonight, interested to see how it ends.

9. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

yeah I went last night
    I thought it was excellent. Some genuinely goosebump inducing moments

...I'm not going to tell you how it ends though!

10. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

11. City Man

12. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

Jellied eels, cockels and mussels, pie and mash, fish and chips and **** pubs. Long pier though. I have many old intimate memories of Southend. City of Culture Lmfao. They're also grabbing at straws with their sportsmen attachments - I won't bother dissecting that though, not worth it.

13. City Man

"Southend Council, on two occasions, 2017 and 2013, bid for the title of UK City of Culture. On the last occasion we made the short list but were not successful in our bid. Instead, Hull was chosen?!"

Soz, he reeled me in with that.

Archetypal know-nowt comment, this time from a carbuncle of a OAP resport on the Essex coast where they think the Hanseatic League is one level below the Ryman's.

Daniel Dennett likes this.
  14. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

Haven't read the article yet, but just saw David Amess was involved.

He's the Tory uber buffoon who Brass Eye reeled in big time, even got him asking questions about "Cake" in HoP.

Some of the related spiel and explanations that Morris is giving him are class.

From memory "Basildon Puke-Rates" made me laugh the most at the time

15. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

I see where you are coming from askew, but even though I have not attended everything, and some of the stuff I have attended has been, to put it politely, crap to me, I don't share your concern about fatigue. This is, lets face it, a once in a lifetime event and from the off it has blown the socks off a lot of people, I cannot remember such a buzz in the city since the days of Bailey's nightclub and the likes, when the City centre even attracted people from the rest of Yorkshire for a night out. I am not artistic but have enjoyed some of the art on show, I have been to the University to see stuff there, the other week I was on Bransholme in C of C related stuff and I even watched the Gay Stuff, (no gags please and I know its not part of C of C). Simply because I will never experience the atmosphere again, there was a Science Fair at Hull College back in the 60's and that was a once in a lifetime thing then, I went to that and I'm glad I did as indeed it has never returned. Not only that, seeing as what has happened to Hull, publicity and the like, there is now a squabble to become the next C of C such has the impact been on a place that was once regarded as the end of the earth.

It still is but its the end of the earth that is no longer a backwater, we still lose out with government funding, and have done since the war, they are still haggling about Castle St so that is a battle to be continued, but possible investment in a number of ventuers makes for an interesting future for Hull. The news that the C of C committee is to continue beyond 2017 is a good step as they have really done a fantastic job, but the momentum needs to be continued, who know if it will be? But for a while at least, Hull is being talked about whilst not being derided, on the football front, I'm afraind I lost faith in the game a long time ago and so anything that is happening at Hull City AFC just saddens me, I remember being locked out at Boothferry Park so know about footballing lows. So for the last 3 months I want to take as much in as possible, good and bad, and the Turner prize stuff is on my list, I mean ballet, but what a show stopper that turned out to be, Hull? You must be joking. No.

HGS66 and TwoWrights like this.
  16. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Leon T Trout AFC likes this.
  17. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

Ian Dury caught polio in a Southend-on Sea swimming pool and the rest is history.

18. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

It was brilliant. Definitely the best part.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  19. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Totally agree
    Mind you I've just got in at 4.15 am and i'm trying not to wake Mrs Tash as I sneak in to bed so I might not be the best judge of culture!
    Good night though...

FER ARK likes this.
  20. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

For someone who cannot draw a straight line with a ruler this may seem a little churlish, but I went to Ferens yesterday, yes the Turner thing. Well I know its contentious, Tracy Ermin and all that, but really, no matter how I looked at the exibits I could not see how such stuff gets so much acclaim. I probably don't understand that type of 'art' but I did understand the beauty of the Rembrandt on show a couple of weeks back or so, that was astonishing, as is some of the 'real' art on show in Ferens. To me it was rubbish, but obviously it is considered good enough for a prestigious prize, like I said I can't draw a straight line with a ruler.