1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. steverico

steverico Well-Known Member

My mate owns the cafe on the pier, he said it was very poorly organised on Nelson Street this year, tables weren't put out, the stage was in the wrong place, the stupid double decker bar near the bogs was virtually empty all weekend, the food stalls had to pay £1200 each to site near Minerva.

A few years ago there was always a headline act which pulled thousands to watch, Craig Charles DJ'ing, Roland Gift in the pissing rain watched by a massive crowd, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, even I think JLS and Peter Andre, there was no stage near the lock gates like previous years which had stuff going on every half hour.

This year seemed like a cheap option, I thought with it being 2017 someone like Paul Heaton would have been booked as a statement as a headliner

I thought the layout around pier and marina was piss poor, the stage at pier was obscured by trees and planters it was a right shambles, the traders are not pleased with the festival organisers.

2. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Everybody I know was very disappointed with it and buggered off.
    Kid at work got his relatives to come up to it from London telling them how good it was.
    He apologised to them coz they where wondering why it was just food n beer bars.
    Very very poor ( apart from Giraffes) .
    Whoever organised it needs sacking.

steverico likes this.
  3. steverico

Is a circus act Culture? It was a festival so I don't think Culture really came into it, maybe the dancers on the car park, but the rest of it is just really padding to fill up the weekend, it seemed geared up for drinking and eating with bars set up all over.

4. steverico

It was so empty on Sunday afternoon on pier everyone started packing up early afternoon, it was too spread out round town, they should keep it near Marina and pier like it used to be, it was great a couple of years ago, ****e this year

5. Edelman

Trinity Square , Old Town and Pier I'd say

6. steverico

I would keep it all on the South side of Castle Street it was fine there in the past, they didn't even use that massive area near the Humber Quays offices, that's were the main stage used to be for the headline acts, and who owns Zebedees Yard because that seems to have priority in everything this year?

7. Edelman

Is Trinity festival in there this year???

8. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Freedom Festival has always had stuff going on in Queens Gardens I think

9. HHH

HHH Well-Known Member

Aye, it's always been then main focus I thought. With other stuff dotted around the city centre.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  10. BillyBobBallbag

BillyBobBallbag Well-Known Member

It should be like it really used to be, queens gardens , no fence, take your own beer watch the majic numbers and yinjibar after.
    Its gone down hill since lol
    Though ruby turner 2014 and the dutch circus last year are modern highlights.
    I wandered round for a few hours Saturday and was working Sunday so I can't really comment on this years, but I've been to most and with the mixed bag it is you just have to see what you see and enjoy what you like.
    Wherever the case I'll be pottering round next year again, there's always something catches your eye

11. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

If you don't think (nothing unusual there!) it was culture why use the term "culture my arse" in your original diatribe? We saw the excellent tightrope act, funk band, Zumba dancers, dinosaurs, the band on the stage near the dock, the Bleached sculptural work, and the International Carnival procession, all for the sum total of £0. You are FG Johnson and I claim my £0.

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

bobby ace likes this.
  12. BillyBobBallbag

Oh I forgot about some cool interpretative dance in Vicky square around 2009, its always been spread all over town, only plastics go to the marina side now.

I used to go marina when it was cool the first time round, tks, green bricks, Pepi's and iron works, its full of pretentious ****ers now if I'm honest

13. Edelman

Yeah they've moved it up market haven't they.
    Not even allowed Vertical drinking in some establishments.
    Snobs !!

14. dennisboothstash

Throw in pyrotechnics, post modern street theatre, poetry & spoken word (I nearly went to the event at Hull Truck, and there was tickets left on the night), Kofi Annan, fashion shows, science and loads more I think there was something for most people if you'd spent the time to plan rather than just turn up and expect to be entertained as you wander about...for free.

15. BillyBobBallbag

Yeah, we used to go down there for a good time, bank holidays were best, now half the people who ho down there just do to look cool and brag to there mates, bit like prinny ave about ten year ago

16. steverico

I'm not impressed by Humber Street, someone has made a massive amount of cash developing that street, most of it will stay empty for years yet, little businesses were turfed out to allow the upgrade, some new flats on Wellington Street now have a rooftop bar invading their privacy, built without planning.

All very seedy and underhand and like some have said populated by posing twats with more money than taste.

17. SimonGraysJacket

SimonGraysJacket Well-Known Member

I like the vibe of the area, but I don't fit your criteria. I have no money, no taste, and I do the breathing my gut in pose when pretty ladies go past. :emoticon-0115-inlov

18. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

You're what it's all about ...

19. where's les mutrie now

where's les mutrie now Well-Known Member

Slight problem if you wanted to plan ahead, the programme didn't appear in advance where it used to like libraries. A distinct change of emphasis this year, without having the focus of music acts that you'd look forward to. I enjoyed some of it but this year it seemed a bit unfocused.

20. dennisboothstash

To be honest I didn't do much of it this year, but they dropped the music focus last year actually (they changed the organising company then too)
    They did have a printing problem though which meant late leaflets so that's probably why they weren't in libraries I guess?

It did take a bit of research online to see what was on and when