1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Hull City FC v Sunderland AFC – Tuesday 26th December 2023 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Dec 24, 2023.

?

Your Prediction:

1. Home win

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. Away win

35 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Draw

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Rusyn was recovering from an injury when we bought him, he played a few games and was looking sharp, then had a groin strain before Mowbray left. Not aware of any career ending injury.
    He was on the bench yesterday, I think he will start on Friday.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  2. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Was before we signed Rusyn supposedly the stomach injury was a potentially serious thing as wasn’t healing.

Unlikely it is that of course.

RTB likes this.
  3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Those two beating defenders at ease have 1 assist between them. They hold on to the ball far to long that 10 players manage to drop back into defence by the time they release it and we do get players into the box but they're massively outnumbered by the time any attempt to play them in happens . They ignore better options to beat a man. They slow play to snails pace. Their creativity is shocking imo. If it wasn't for Clarke goals we'd be 6th bottom not 6th top. I think it's fair to say they're not providing good service. Only person showing quality creation is Pritchard and he's head and shoulders above those too.

Random lad and Dorset like this.
  4. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I think of all the stats assists are probably the least worthwhile. I would be surprised if even a data led club like us ranked it high in importance. Just my opinion but often the assist for the assiter is often more important in a passage of play. It can be the pass that turns defences round or takes players out. Yesterday Dan Neil got an assist, but is it really something he will be judged on, a simple 3 yard pass?

Robertson likes this.
  5. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I also use my eyes, not just stats. Their service is shocking.

Random lad and Dorset like this.
  6. Sour Patch

Sour Patch Guest

Aouchiche shows up incredibly well when looking at our squads data.
    Within our squad he is;
    1st for xG per 90
    1st for shots on target per 90
    1st for shots per 90
    1st for chances created per 90
    2nd for xA per 90
    3rd for interceptions per 90
    2nd for successful tackles per 90

His limited time on the field skews his numbers a bit but it shows clearly that when he gets an opportunity he can be a real difference maker. Needs more time on the field.

7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I think he looks very good. And he looks like he “wants” it. Not like he thinks he deserves it (which is where I’d class Burstow). Think he’s going to be a cracking player

8. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

Amad is a high bar to compare to, but if one or two players achieve a jump in performance in the new year we could have another very exciting season.

marcusblackcat and Gil T Azell like this.
  9. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

might be a fortnight out here but i am getting the feeling that the strikers, adil and triantis are not going to be 'hoyed in' too soon, for all they have shown themselves capable i think they might get minutes in the later stages of games to try and get them to pick and easy-ish goal or two to get them started rather than them feeling the pressure of 'having' to score

Robertson likes this.
  10. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

Aochiche is exactly what I imagined Lihadji was going to be.
    He really does look like he wants it tho!

11. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

If all goes well he could be a real cult hero for us imo ...

... he has a killer's instinct.

Robertson, Mackem-Tiz and Dorset like this.
  12. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

13. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

14. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Already posted
    - nice video <cheers>

15. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

I do wonder why a data lead club like our own doesn’t give him more time on the field. Choosing instead to play the likes of Dack. I’m sure there’s merit behind it, it just seems out of step with most other decisions made around the club.

16. Sour Patch

Sour Patch Guest

Dack getting minutes after Mowbray has left surely proves the conspiracy that Speakman picks the team is a lie.

But I agree, he seems a decent lad but I don't really want to see Dack in a starting 11 again.

Culinary likes this.
  17. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

I agree mate. Both him and Clarkes roles are to create goals or score them. This season, Roberts is doing neither.

With regard to the striker problem, I think we need to get back to having overlapping full backs, which gives opposition defences a dilemma - will Clarke or Roberts cut inside or lay it into the path of an overlapping full back. For this to be effective, we must have a striker or attacking midfielder making a bee-line for the near post as soon as the ball is delivered to the full back and that full back needs to be able to deliver first time. Cirkin is a good overlapping full back and I'm hoping Pembele will be too.

Oliver's Army likes this.
  18. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. Clarke is an exciting young talent, who will play at a higher level, but he's not irreplaceable. Was very impressed with the lad playing on the left for Preston yesterday. Scored a Clarke-esque type goal to boot. Replacements are out there, it's up to the recruitment team to identify and sign them.

With regard to the striker problem, I think we should have the full backs overlapping more. Cirkin is particularly good at this and I'm hoping Pembele will be too. This gives the opposition defence a dilemma - are Clarke and Roberts going to cut inside or play the full back in? When this happens, it's massively important that the striker or an attacking midfielder makes a bee-line for the front post as soon as the full back receives the ball and the full back must deliver it early, the winger on the opposite flank should be busting a gut to get to the far post and a cm positions themselves centrally on the edge of the box to receive any ball that is cleared.

19. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

his chance the other day was perfect for a simple right foot finish. Yet he waited to get it onto his left and the keeper steadied and saved. It’s clearly a confidence issue too. I hope he buries a chance very soon