1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull City Centre Public Realm Strategy

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Phinius T Bookbinder

Phinius T Bookbinder Well-Known Member

Now this I didn’t know. Great story. I did know the Grand Hotel in Scarborough was built by a man from Hull. In its heyday considered one of Europe’s premier Hotels. A lot of talent has come out of the area and contributed to the world.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  2. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

It must have taken him ages.

Stockholm Tiger, Help! and DMD like this.
  3. springtiger

springtiger Well-Known Member

On a traffic note 225 people driving without seat belts caught in 4 days !! Ffs what are they thinking ? And loads on mobiles

Edelman likes this.
  4. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

Incredible. I sort of get the temptation of sneaking a look at a mobile (but don't condone it), but why on earth would anyone choose not to drive without a seat belt on?

Glad they're implementing technology to catch people using their phones. It's ridiculous how many you see and a miracle there aren't even more accidents. It needs way more than a couple of new vans though as it's at epidemic levels. Pity cameras with AI can't be installed in lamp posts - maybe just a matter of time.

springtiger likes this.
  5. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

Not having a seat belt on means you risking injuring yourself, looking at a mobile phone means you risk injuring others. I know which I would come down heaviest on.

6. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

It was bad enough when people were using their phone's for talking on, worse now as they are typing messages to post on social media.

Cityzen likes this.
  7. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Stockholm Tiger likes this.
  8. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

What about if it’s your map on your phone?

9. Cityzen

It should be mounted on dashboard so it is no different to looking at a satnav. A bit different to texting and reading social media or watching videos.

10. steverico

steverico Well-Known Member

I’ve got a new Sportage and it’s got a really **** screen under the main screen that utilises the media/radio controls and the heating, it has a very small logo to aim at to switch, and is impossible to do without looking down, good job it’s got loads of safety features.

Newland Tiger likes this.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

My phone fits nicely into the console that has the speedo/rev counter etc. I only tend to put it there when I know I'm going to be in queues of traffic so it doesn't matter about seeing the instruments, and I have it set to my kindle app so I can read my book.

Obviously for safety I have it on voice activated page turning. <ok>

rovertiger and Jim the Tiger like this.
  12. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Android Auto or Apple Car-play.

Job done.

GlassHalfHull likes this.
  13. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Rico in not having a car he can actually talk to shocker! Then again I remember his phone he talked to, Leroy Rosenior lasted longer at Torquay United! :emoticon-0100-smile

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

rovertiger and steverico like this.
  14. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Have your say on state-of-the-art sporting facilities

MONDAY, 27 MARCH 2023
    CATEGORIES: LEISURE & CULTURE, NEWS, REGENERATION
    TAGS: CABINET, COSTELLO PLAYING FIELDS, PUBLIC CONSULTATION

A public consultation will begin this weekend to give the community the chance to share their views on improvements to Costello Playing Fields.

The consultations will be held at Peter Pan Park Café over three dates in April and are part of a major investment project by Hull City Council.

The council’s Cabinet has approved plans for the playing fields on Anlaby Park Road North that will benefit sporting groups and the local community.

Cabinet agreed to release funding to create state-of-the-art facilities on the west Hull site, including refurbishing and improving existing sports pitches to a national standard, one being a 3G floodlit pitch.

The current changing facilities will also be improved and extended, there will be disabled access to all the amenities, and the existing tennis courts will be available for bookings.

These works will provide high-quality, year-round community use sports provision at evenings and weekends, complementing the council’s wider commitments to improve footpaths in the park and Costello Stadium’s running track.

Hull College, which has worked closely with the council, will use the playing fields Monday to Friday during term time.

Under the plans, community and sporting groups will continue to have full access to the public green spaces, which is the majority of the site.

To have your say on the development at Costello Playing Fields, visit Peter Pan Park Café between 9am and 11am on Saturday 1 April and Tuesday 4 April, or between 6pm and 8pm on Wednesday 5 April.

https://www.hullccnews.co.uk/27/03/2023/have-your-say-on-state-of-the-art-sporting-facilities/

15. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

dennisboothstash likes this.
  16. Cityzen

17. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

They got pretty close on Hessle Road!

Cityzen likes this.
  18. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

I've been to a few luncheons/Dinners over the years with good after-dinner speakers. But Ken Dodd and Bob Monkhouse stand out head and shoulders above the rest. Both brilliant.

TwoWrights likes this.
  19. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Some good pics
    A mate of mine is mentioned on the boxing pic. Pity they couldn’t have a pic of him on it he’s going through a tough time at the moment. Tough lad is Kev

TwoWrights likes this.
  20. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

A London opera ticket for £235? I'd rather go to Hull and back - so I did! Even after a train ride, a sublime Tosca, two nights in a hotel and an aquarium trip, I still spent less
    By STEPHANIE HAWTHORNE

PUBLISHED: 01:43 BST, 9 April 2023

If you want a fright at the opera, you only have to look at the ticket prices. As I discovered, to my profound dismay, when I was told front-row seats for Puccini’s Turandot at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden cost £235.

Which rather underscores what thespian Derek Jacobi was complaining about last week when he said theatre should be open to all and part of ‘our blood and bones’.

You can just hear 84-year-old Jacobi’s rich intonation as he makes his plea, can’t you? He was shocked to learn of sky-high West End prices, and said that their exorbitance is making theatre-going an ‘elitist’ pursuit.

Few would disagree. Still, if you want to see world-class opera there are other options, as I found out.

Opera North’s revival of Edward Dick’s acclaimed 2018 production of Tosca at Hull New Theatre earned five-star reviews – and rightly so. I’m an opera fan and have seen Tosca many times, including once at the Royal Opera House, but this was easily the most magnificent yet.

+3
    View gallery
    Mykhailo Malafii as Cavaradossi and Giselle Allen as Tosca in Puccini’s Turandot at the Royal Opera House

+3
    View gallery
    Opera fan Stephanie Hawthorne (pictured) was devastated when told front-row seats for Puccini’s Turandot at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden cost £235

I went with my brother and we had the best seats in the house – a bargain at £43.50 a ticket. In fact, our entire weekend in Hull including the two tickets, return train fares from London, two nights in a hotel (with an excellent freshly cooked breakfast) and a visit to a top tourist attraction, came to less than the £470 cost of the two Royal Opera House tickets.

I’m sure the good folk who saw Turandot, Puccini’s final opera, had a marvellous evening. But I doubt it surpassed mine. No wonder the arts critic of The Times called Opera North’s Tosca ‘a corker of a show’.

Certainly everything exceeded my expectations: from the beautiful set to the orchestra to the performances.

Giselle Allen, in the lead role as the celebrated singer who is in love with artist Cavaradossi, played by Ukrainian tenor Mykhailo Malafii in his Opera North debut, were both excellent.

I’d arrived in Hull the day before. Often disparaged as Britain’s least glamorous city, it has long struggled with an image problem. One of its most famous sons, the poet Philip Larkin, wrote: ‘I wish I could think of one nice thing I could tell you about Hull, oh yes ... it’s very nice and flat for cycling.’

As my train pulled into the station, I reflected that these days the criticism is undeserved. There is a sparkling marina, green spaces, a patchwork of cobbled lanes, great bars and restaurants. But it is in the arts where the renaissance is most evident.

Hull was named UK City of Culture 2017. That year, the director of the Royal Ballet said that the city not only punched above its weight for its ability to produce male ballet stars, but may generate the most per head of any British city.

I stayed at the family-run Victorian Kingston Theatre Hotel in a garden square opposite the theatre. Staff were friendly and the service excellent. A double room with ensuite and a full English breakfast was £194 for two nights.

+3
    View gallery
    Stephanie stayed at the family-run Victorian Kingston Theatre Hotel in a garden square opposite the theatre
    Hull is such a friendly place. Poor parts of the city remain but it is on the up with re-energised docks and lots of museums. The train service is excellent. There are 16 direct trains to London every day and an average journey time of two hours, 51 minutes. My return ticket cost £62.35, bought with a senior railcard and booked in advance. The total cost then for two for two days in Hull to see the opera: £443.20.

And it even included tickets for The Deep, the city’s biggest attraction, an aquarium focusing on conservation as well as entertainment.

The Royal Opera House defends its pricing, saying: ‘We have consistently been named the cheapest theatre ticket in the West End, with tickets this season starting at just £4, and have been able to maintain almost 40 per cent of our tickets at £50 or less, despite rising costs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11953435/A-London-opera-ticket-235-Id-Hull-did.html