1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull City Centre Public Realm Strategy

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 8, 2015.

1. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

The comments on the HDM are mostly wind ups, and tend to be the same people changing their pseudonyms, but yes people do pull Hull down a lot, but there again I don't think that it's exclusive to Hull. What I don't understand is that no one seems to tackle Trinity House about their practices down Whitefriargate, high rents etc. Turning empty places into apartments seems endemic but is it a solution, I'm not sure. The main problem is, and has been as long as I can remember is geography, and the constant refrain of Hull being a dump, the end of the line, (actually it is as regards the railways). But maybe a silly observation but none the less it won't help Hull's image, some of the worlds top class snooker players and in Hull this week, Bonus Arena, and yet the place looks empty on the TV.

But when you have the usual candidates for where people would rather go to shop most of them are on major motorway links, people from the likes of Barnsley, Hunslet, Rotherham, Bradford and the likes are hardly likely to come to Hull to shop, or visit, when Leeds is on their doorstep. Yet Hull people would rather go there, regardless of the extra time and costs, than shop in Hull, so Hull spirals even more on a perceived downward spiral. Scunthorpe and Grimsby also suffer in the same way, this part of the UK is, in all respects, out on a limb and don't receive the level of investment to try and reverse that situation. There is no doubt many bad decisions have been made to add to Hull's woes, we had a thriving cafe culture on the top deck of Princes Quay, only for that to be shut down and a cinema put in it's place, no wonder the place is now an eyesore of empty shops, despite the attempts at a revival.

Hammonds was a bold, if misguided, attempt at something new, disposable income is low around these parts, not for everyone no. But many people are not in the price bracket that some of the products being sold were aimed at. The refrain in the HDM centres on the druggies, immigrants, vagrants, things that other cities, and I have visited a few through coach holidays, suffer the same outcome. Sleeping in doorways is nothing new but to me what seems different is that nothing seems to happen to alleviate the matter. And again where do these new additions to area, from far flung place on the globe. go to or what to they do? Many are not allowed to work, even it they wanted to, so they gather where like minded people gather and indeed it is not a pretty sight. But I have seen the same in Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Coventry and other city centres and no I do not know what the answer is, I hope someone does, for Hull's sake.

2. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

The HDM is a total disgrace.

Only last week they couldn’t wait to print a story about the fact Willy Mason had called it ‘ the worst place on earth.’
    He also sang Leeds’ praises and couldn’t speak any higher of it.

Like anyone cares what that tit end has to say.

The next day the exact same headline are in the Nationals.

I’m sick to bastard death of every **** journo slagging Hull off, even to the point of quoting some washed up Aussie who played six games( and was utter dog turd apparently) for Hull KR about ten years ago.

Bore the **** off.

I’ve been to loads of places that don’t come anywhere near our fair City and have lived in the Medway Towns FFS. They never, ever get mentioned about being an absolute khazi yet Hull gets slated non stop.

Pack it in and grow up.

****ing sick of it but as other have alluded to, some bottom feeders will love the fact HoH has closed just to prove their sad, pathetic point.

Rant over.

3. Jim the Tiger

Jim the Tiger Well-Known Member

They're not journalists, they're generally 20 something kids that did a 2 year course with some work experience at the BBC or the local paper and base everything they do on trying to get clicks and likes. They, unlike most of us, still think the BBC is relevant and something people respect.

Social media, expecially twitter, is full of them and their narcissistic behaviour. The other day when someone was stabbed in town and the police were searching the ponds in Queens Gardens I counted about 12 articles of crap before I could even find out what had happened. Stuff like 'Woman tweets Aldi about sprouts, you would not believe their response'. Everything they post is 'look at me, look what a credible journalist I am'.

If likes and retweets is what they need in their lives it is further evidence they are lacking in real life experience. I would swap a thousand clicks or likes for a bloke to tap me on the shoulder in a pub and tell me he likes what I am doing. It actually means something. Unless it is Vern and then I might slowly edge towards the door and leg it.

4. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Those types of clickbait articles are obviously ****e, but I very much doubt it's the preference of the young journalists writing it. It's just the state of things. People higher up in organisations like Reach know that that's a way to make money on clicks and they can do it easily with cheap staff, so yes they'll get the ones fresh out of uni/training and have them working on this sort of crap. I doubt very much that they enjoy it.

5. Jim the Tiger

So why do they do it? Even at 18 I knew what dignity and integrity meant as I was brought up to value these things.
    Have you ever seen the video of that girl from Hull Live trying a new Big Mac? About 7 minutes of footage, 5 of which was her mate filming her from the outside whilst she stood in a queue for her order. It was like some 1990's spoof show.

That is the behaviour of a moron, I'm sorry there is no defending that sort of 'media work'.

DMD likes this.
  6. bradymk2

bradymk2 Well-Known Member

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Because their revenue is generated by the number of clicks their articles get, their whole business model is based on how many people they can get to open articles, it's very little to do with journalism nowadays.

8. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

They do it because they want a start in a difficult industry to break into.
    Do you really think they want to do it? It’s work, it’s a start for them

taigers, Plum, AlRawdah and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jim the Tiger

Not having that. I know plenty of people in the game from young kids who would come to me at the Broncos and ask if they could do stuff for free to help them get into journalism through to people like Tom Latchem and Mike Graham who are good friends of mine and both ex fleet street journos. I brought Tom into the Broncos when I was there and he is still in the industry now and mentors loads of young journalists.

If you want to be a credible journalist and work for a decent publication then you would do some proper writing, you would work a part time job somewhere and do the writing for free until you started to get some paid work.

Working for Hull Live and saying you want to get up the journalism ladder is like working at Chicken George and saying you want to be a Michelin star chef. Totally the wrong route.

The problem is with lots of young people nowadays is that they wont do anything for free when actually it is the best way to get into most places or careers. Prove you're capable and earn the right to a place in the company. How many people in other industries leave Uni and walk straight into the exact role they have studied for? Very few, they have to work their way in like most people do in this life. Earn the right to be there by demonstrating you're good at the job.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    Cityzen, DMD and Phinius T Bookbinder like this.
  10. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Bit like Phil Buckingham did you mean?

11. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as simple as that. Different industries and jobs are different. In mine you can absolutely leave uni and walk into a decent job and go from there. Other industries are more competitive and people have to take what they can get. Some people might be able to afford to work for free, but most people need a living, moreso now than ever. Being lectured by older generations that they should work for free or just try harder is something that young people hear a lot and it's not very realistic or constructive. It is definitely hard for some people depending on industry, background and who you know. Regardless, if your issue is with tacky clickbait articles, it's the higher-ups deciding to produce that who are to blame. Perhaps they should know what dignity is and get a real job.

Newland Tiger, taigers, Help! and 4 others like this.
  12. Jim the Tiger

There will always be exceptions. For every Phil Buckingham who knows he is at the arse end and needs to work hard to progress there are a dozen morons testing out the new trolleys in Asda and writing a report about it for Hull Live.

13. Jim the Tiger

Totally agree with the last line, it stops with the arses at the top who are driving it.

And yes, who you know is a massive help, I would say especially in media.

taigers and PLT like this.
  14. Chazz Rheinhold

One call to bummers and that’s all it needs

HHH, Help!, SW3 Chelsea Tiger and 2 others like this.
  15. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

That's a low offer ermm blow. :emoticon-0125-mmm:

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

16. Carmine Galante.

I miss bummers.

17. Carmine Galante.

I wonder if he’s seen Bradley lately?

18. Chazz Rheinhold

Not even a question
    It was gonna be bummers and Bradley not Barney and Bradley
    FACT

TwoWrights likes this.