1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull City Centre Public Realm Strategy

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 8, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

2. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

With not needing a car for a few years are those prices good#?

3. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

The weekend day rate seems ok? It’s that long since I’ve driven anywhere and paid for parking - I honestly couldn’t tell you. There’s quite a few free parking spots around the Marina and Fruit Market. We normally cotton on - I wonder if the multi storey will see the free parking removed with double yellows etc

rovertiger likes this.
  4. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

Im general, the HCC multis in Hull are £3 for 24 hours. Not sure if its cheaper on a weekend.

5. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

For a city, it's cheap (as it needs to be)

6. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

They could do to up the price to fund more bike lanes. :bandit:

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

St Stephens is £2 for 3 hours (£2 all day on Sundays) and Prinny Quay is similar.

rovertiger likes this.
  8. Quill

Quill Bastard

Pretty certain King Billy car park is dead cheap on a weekend too.

9. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Just thinking how many multi storey car parks does Hull have?

St Stephen’s, Prospect Centre, Prinny Quay, Arena, King Billy and now Fruit??

That’s a lot of car parking spaces.

10. rovertiger

rovertiger Well-Known Member

11. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

In case any of you are interested, here's an article I have written about Hull, the Siemens investment, and how wind power is giving the city a success story to take to the rest of the world.

12. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Barely a paragraph on City!! Shame on you rich!

dennisboothstash and RichardG like this.
  13. RichardG

I shoehorned one reference in, in an article essentially about foreign investment in the city. I thought that was pretty impressive myself!

14. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Excellent article. :emoticon-0148-yes:
    Time for me to come back if housing prices keep falling. Hessle foreshore & Heads Lane/Woodfield Lane here I come !

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  15. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Really good article Richard, great you're highlighting Hull's potential.

RichardG likes this.
  16. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Good article, very uplifting. But, you then go and read HDM and you think 'are we talking about the same place here?'. How to engage the whole community is a big challenge.

17. RichardG

Thanks Plum. Obviously the theme of this article was investment in Hull, and what kind of environment there is there. And Hull undoubtedly has a success story in green energy. On a personal level, I do feel that the way in which Hull has transformed in the 18 years since I moved to London has been astonishing. Not enough is made of that. While I'm still very much emotionally attached to Hull, that geographic distance and the fact that I will sometimes go a couple of months or without coming home gives me a slightly different perspective to those who live there. It's a genuinely good place to be now.

A police officer friend of mine from London moved to Humberside Police in a pretty senior position a couple of years back (a position that allows you to see the more seemly side of a city). In the times that I've seen him since, he says the same thing: "Why does Hull have the poor reputation that it does? Why can't people see how many good things there are there?" When I had my book launch a couple of years back, my wife's London-born and bred parents came up to Hull for the first time (unannounced). On the day after, before their train departure, we had to quickly come up with a plan to entertain them within the city limits. It was p*** easy. There was too much to fit in. They came away hugely impressed. I remember having a similar(ish) issue with an ex-girlfriend's mum about 25 years or so ago, and it was really difficult to know what to do with her. It was great to be able to write that piece and reflect that development. There are few UK cities that have had 21st Centuries as successful or transformative as Hull has had. Not everything's perfect, I get that, and all cities should improve the quality of life they offer their residents over time, I get that too. But Hull feels like an imaginative, thriving, upwardly mobile city these days. And that hasn't always been the case.

Mcrtiger, Uncle Z, Help! and 6 others like this.
  18. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with anything you say. I left Hull in 1970 and haven't lived there since so my experiences of the place have been restricted to 3 or 4 day visits 2 or 3 times a year and there's always been enough to see and do to make those visits enjoyable. However during 2019 I spent longer periods of time in Hull, staying mostly in the Hessle Road area which is where I was raised. Having more time to look around gave me a slightly different perspective. The areas which were always on the bottom rungs of the ladder like Hessle Road, Anlaby Road, parts of East Hull, Bransholme, etc looked to be faring worse than ever and the City Centre gives absolutely no indication that there is prosperity anywhere. But head into the outskirts and the picture is very different, new cars, nice houses and signs of affluence in abundance!
    This is simplistic but I think the place is just too big and widespread to manage effectively without spending huge amounts of money and some of the planning and construction which has gone through over the years has compounded this imo.

Anyway, far too big a subject to debate sensibly on a forum like this, I'm off to find my tin hat, I expect I've offended a few with all this...

19. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

A very astute observation and there are more improvements to come when Castle Street completes and the Maritime Museum links up with the Queens Dock Shipyard regeneration.

20. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

Not offended me. Reasonable observations. Case of Rome wasnt buiĺt in a day. Loads of problems and big challenges but loads of stuff moving the City in a much better direction. And to my mind, Brexit will prove to be a massive positive for cities like Hull (but conscious of no politics ).

originalminority likes this.