1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull City Centre Public Realm Strategy

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 8, 2015.

1. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

We can see the problem, why can’t the people in positions of responsibility see the same problems? The solution is not to build more retail outlets when they can’t fill the ones that are currently empty.

I barely go shopping these days, don’t have the time and it’s not something I’m particularly keen on anyway. The solution should have been to focus retail and eateries all around Princes Quay, Whitefriargate, all linked with the new footbridge over Castle Street to the Fruit Market. A lot of these projects have been in the pipeline for a long time, so why someone didn’t have that vision I find really quite baffling. I’m sure in 15 years time we’ll be having the same discussion about St Stephens facing the same issues as Princes Quay.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Sadly, things aren't that simple.

It's far easier to attract new retailers to a shiny new shopping centre, than it is to get them interested in a shagged out old unit in a tired street. Prinny Quay was obviously a mistake, the Marina should be there, the building is horrible and other than making the whole thing into an outlet centre, I've no idea what you'd do with it (they've been trying to pretty much give it away, for the value of its debt, and nobody is remotely interested).

The original plan was by far the best, the site for a new centre (before Prinny Quay) was the site they're now trying to develop (BHS/Co-op), but it was joined onto the Prospect Centre and HoF and incorporated the whole front along Jameson Street, it would have tied everything together, but sadly, it all fell apart.

3. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

You’re right it isn’t that simple, unfortunately made worse by poor decisions. St Stephens has only made the problem worse. For all it’s negatives Princes Quay could have been made fit for purpose, everything decent within the City is very conveniently within easy reach from Princes Quay.

newlandcasual and balkan tiger like this.
  4. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

Princes Quay was fantastic at first. It seemed innovative, it got big names combined with independents, and the top floor was brilliantly done. I was in there for the first time in four or five years this weekend and it was desolate. St Stephens is my least favourite major retail centre in any city in the UK. A long, uninspiring corridor with no distinguishable features. It has some decent names but shopping in there is such a joyless experience. Walking through The Mall in Luton after our game there last month, you couldn't help but wish Hull had gone more down that route. And that's Luton!

I'd love for that circular route from Whitefriargate, Market Place, the whole of the Fruit Market and back down Princes Dock Street to take off in a way similar to The Lanes in Brighton or something like that. We're some way from that right now, but those areas are Hull at its best and certain areas there seem to be heading in the right direction. I was really impressed with Trinity Market, but it's so detached from everything it's very easy to miss.

balkan tiger and GLP like this.
  5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Despite currently being on its arse, I suspect Whitefriargate will be easier to resurrect than Prinny Quay, but its going to take some time and a couple of landlords are going to have to accept a big hit in the short term if it's to work.

RichardG likes this.
  6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The Banksy has been removed for storage, ahead of it being moved to a new permanent home, though it looks pretty much knackered to me...

please log in to view this image

7. Des Head

Des Head Well-Known Member

Has the lettering been chopped off? It might have been better to sell it to someone who values it and used the money to demolish the bridge.

8. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

High street retailers demanding bigger and more regular shaped footplates for their stores was a big driver behind many new shopping precincts over the last 20 years - I don't know that was the case in Hull, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's unfortunate that those same high street retailers are subsequently the ones getting ****ed over by the superior offerings of internet shopping.

Phinius T Bookbinder likes this.
  9. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Superior None tax paying offerings

newlandcasual likes this.
  10. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The A63 footbridge is finally being installed, on Fri 1st Nov.

11. Edelman

That's early ibthought next spring ?

12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I think that's when it actually opens to the public.

Edelman likes this.
  13. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Speaking to a business acquaintance in Nottingham today. They're bricking whats happening to their business in Notts City Centre. In the last few months, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Urban Decay, Karen Miller, Coast, Jack Wills, Yorkshire Linen, Rococo Chocolates and Debenhams have all closed in the centre with French Connection closing in January. I don't shop in Hull very often, but I suspect these well known brands might not even have landed in Hull.

14. Edelman

I think it's just most City and Town centres now like this .
    The big cities fair better with larger populations and visitors !

15. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

I wonder how things are going in Norwich?

GLP and Edelman like this.
  16. Quill

Quill Bastard

It's a utopia, of course.

GLP likes this.
  17. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

They’ll be announcing excessive demands for retail outlets and pushing ahead for more. <laugh><laugh>

18. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

19. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

I was approached about this... I laughed at the proposed budget... pure fantasy. I told them the GE (ground engineering) alone was over 2.5 billion...
    It’s PR stunt nothing more

Help!, DMD and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  20. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member